Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

GM made better trannies in July 02! Tell me if this is true.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM made better trannies in July 02! Tell me if this is true.

Ok I "heard" GM started making stronger transmissions after July 02 that came with stronger steel shiftforks and stronger bearings (dont know if anything else was upgraded). Anyone know if this is true?

my tranny came down 2 days ago and it I got a new one under warranty going in as we speak.

Service guy claimed the tranny going in has the part number is 12561561.

Just want to know I am getting the better tranny.

If the whole story about GM making stronger trannies is BS let me know.

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: GM made better trannies in July 02! Tell me if this is true.

Z06's got steel shift forks and some other upgraded parts, but I thought that was during late '03.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I was the guy you "heard" it from Update the service manager couldn't gaurantee the upgraded tranny which if the gentleman above is correct is a Corvette tranny anyways... So they ordered all the parts which are all parts of TSB's .....for instance if your tranny is popping out of third they replace it with the Iron shift fork.. if your tranny is grinding they replace the paper with the carbon syncro's etc. Basically they are saying my tranny has ALL the TSB problems HOPEFULLY while they are at it they will fix the "mystery gear" problem.

I think they came in F-bodys towards the end of production. He asked me to make a SPECIAL trip to get the serial number off mine to make sure it wasn't one of the newer ones already. Don't know why the GM employed T56 help line would want that if it wasn't a possibility....

Just my experience, my dealer could be full of BS as well I can't stand that place Of course they don't care for me too much either
Old 10-27-2003, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

excuse me for being a dumbass but what is TSB
Old 10-27-2003, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Technical Service Bulletin - An internal memo that specifies a common problem and it's cure.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok i was hoping it was some sort of a recall so i could get my tranny fixed
Old 10-27-2003, 11:49 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
Well I was the guy you "heard" it from Update the service manager couldn't gaurantee the upgraded tranny which if the gentleman above is correct is a Corvette tranny anyways... So they ordered all the parts which are all parts of TSB's .....for instance if your tranny is popping out of third they replace it with the Iron shift fork.. if your tranny is grinding they replace the paper with the carbon syncro's etc. Basically they are saying my tranny has ALL the TSB problems HOPEFULLY while they are at it they will fix the "mystery gear" problem.

I think they came in F-bodys towards the end of production.
I think you're wrong except on the carbon.

The carbon fibre synchro linings were in 2001 and 2002 f-bodies anyway. Tremec services all f-body 6 speeds with carbon fibre; you aren't getting anything special; those are just normal service parts.

As far as the steel fork, I do not know of any 02 f-bodies getting them. It's such a popular part, I wonder if they even sell the aluminum fork anymore.

For all the "my forks are bent " posts you'll see, 99% of them are misdiagnosis & the problem is improperly releasing hydraulics which fragged the synchros; NOT a bent fork. Look at how healthy that fork is and IIRC, it's larger than 1-2 or 5-6.

There isn't anything wrong with the fibre linings used from 1988 through 2000; they last. However, you can't use synchromesh with them.

matthew
Old 10-28-2003, 12:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Hmm yeah I have a big concern that after this third round of tranny tearing apart I'm still going to have the problem with it not letting it into third gear sometimes

Matthew sounds pretty up to date on it guess my dealer is just blowing more smoke up my ***, cause they can't figure out how to fix my tranny. They look at me like I'm crazy VERY FRUSTRATING!
Old 10-30-2003, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

There isn't anything wrong with the fibre linings used from 1988 through 2000; they last. However, you can't use synchromesh with them.

Please, tell me you are kidding. I have Synchrmesh in my 99 right now.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Huh? I am going to put Synchromesh in my '99
Old 11-01-2003, 11:27 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Please, tell me you are kidding. I have Synchrmesh in my 99 right now.
I thought that the synchromesh GM sold was gear oil based. You can't run gear oil (like 80-90W) with the fibre synchros becuase it will swell them. Maybe there is a 2nd type of synchromesh or I was misinformed on the synchromesh.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:28 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmd
I thought that the synchromesh GM sold was gear oil based. You can't run gear oil (like 80-90W) with the fibre synchros becuase it will swell them. Maybe there is a 2nd type of synchromesh or I was misinformed on the synchromesh.
Beyond that, if your trans. has been rebuilt, it probably has the carbon linings in it already, depending on when that work was done.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

The stuff I put in was a red fluid, that looked like regular tranny fluid, but it said GM Synchrmesh on the bottle.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Dunno if this will matter or not to anyone, but I just used the synthetic blend DexIII in mine, course that was 20K miles ago and now I'm having to take it back apart and put in a set of custom made solid keeper keys.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

NEVER PUT SYNCRHOMESH IN ANY T-56 TRANNY!!!!!! They are designed for Dexron III AUTOMATIC TRANS FLUID ONLY!!!!! Anyone with synchromesh in their trans should change it immediately and pray their synchros last another 10k miles!!!!!
Synchromesh is for some front-drive manuals and maybe some Geo Tracker manuals. NEVER in corvette or Camaro applications!!!
Furthermore, the only other fluid you can use is a newer transfer case fluid called "Auto-Trac II" fluid use to fix transfer case internal clutch problems on 4WD vehicles. This is basically a synthetic auto fluid but should never be used in an auto tranny. It will need to be changed more often however cause I've heard it gets dirty easier then regular ATF. Should shift better in sub-40 degree temps with this fluid.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Synchromesh was only in the car for about 500 miles, and was changed to Dexron III. 7,000 miles later and she has been fine. I hope it stays that way.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSblack98
NEVER PUT SYNCRHOMESH IN ANY T-56 TRANNY!!!!!! They are designed for Dexron III AUTOMATIC TRANS FLUID ONLY!!!!! Anyone with synchromesh in their trans should change it immediately and pray their synchros last another 10k miles!!!!!
Synchromesh is for some front-drive manuals and maybe some Geo Tracker manuals. NEVER in corvette or Camaro applications!!!
Furthermore, the only other fluid you can use is a newer transfer case fluid called "Auto-Trac II" fluid use to fix transfer case internal clutch problems on 4WD vehicles. This is basically a synthetic auto fluid but should never be used in an auto tranny. It will need to be changed more often however cause I've heard it gets dirty easier then regular ATF. Should shift better in sub-40 degree temps with this fluid.
Wow, thats news to me. I'm not running it but I was planning on it. There's many running Snyncromesh here on this board.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Synchromesh is for just about any manual transmission requireing manual transmission fluid HOWEVER we know the T56 requires auto trans fluid (lol though my auto parts store guy almost refused to sell me auto trans fluid when I told him I was changing the fluid in a manual trans). This is why I've been heasitant to run synchromesh in my T/A. I have it in my blazer's 5 speed, and it works great though!
Old 01-04-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

synchromesh is for manuals that use automatic fluid. Any old gearbox like a Muncie would destroy itself in a second with this stuff, its too thin.

I have been running synchromesh with NO PROBLEMS.

Quick Reply: GM made better trannies in July 02! Tell me if this is true.