Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do they make a Dog Box for the LS1 Fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do they make a Dog Box for the LS1 Fbody?

I have looked around and found nothing in regards to a Dog Box for the F-body. Does anyone make them?

DM
Old 04-20-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Liberty will proshift or faceplate the T56 gears. Sponsors (Tick, etc.) can order/install the gears for you.

http://www.libertysgears.com/faceplate.htm
Old 04-20-2009, 11:01 AM
CARTEK Racing

I would contact Joey at Tick-Shift.

They built me a Faceplated unit. Can't wait to try it...
Old 04-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Banned

Thanks for the link and info guys, but sadly that is not a Dog Box; you still need to clutch.

DM
Old 04-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I can say is after a issue of Super Sport Compact, they talked about a 9 second DSM that munched on stock trans. He had upgraded to a "Dog Box"

I ran a quick google http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...x+transmission

I have not had time to search but seems to be a trans for Euro and Asian spec cars, seems to be big with the FWD Manual crowd

For the T-56 face plated trans are the way to go.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
Thanks for the link and info guys, but sadly that is not a Dog Box; you still need to clutch.
DM
There are any number of clutchless racing transmissions, but none are specific to an "f-body". If you follow that link I posted, you'll see that Liberty sells clutchless transmissions, but you need to figure out how you're going to use the car before jumping in.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:04 PM
CARTEK Racing

DM
If you have a slipper clutch, you can shift a faceplated trans w/o the clutch. That is what Joe [FKA: Six Speeds Inc] did and ran 8's N/A
Old 04-20-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a Lenco.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 912 Posts

DM
If you're a big baller...

http://www.emcogears.com/index.cfm?t..._profile_id=13

Andrew
Old 04-22-2009, 12:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Well from your comment and seeing how they don't list a price, I guess it is safe to say that I will pass, lol. Thanks for the link none the less!

DM
Old 04-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Banned

Well thanks too all that replied! I think I will just look into the Faceplated gears.

DM
Old 04-22-2009, 02:03 PM
CARTEK Racing

Well from your comment and seeing how they don't list a price, I guess it is safe to say that I will pass, lol. Thanks for the link none the less!

DM
like they say, "If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it"

lol

go Faceplate...
Old 04-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
like they say, "If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it"

lol

go Faceplate...

9 times out of 10, don't even look at the bill, but now that I am a full time student again, I need to be more conscious about prices, lol; but yeah, I even know when too much is too much.

Back in the day, I remember when i had one of my 383's built; did her right, Bow Tie block, Childs & Albert rings (the only ring I know of to this day that are/were $300 a set, lol), King Demon carb... Well i just paid the bill not even know what it came out to, then about a week later my Girl (ex now) finds the receipts, lol, she was like - What the **** cost $13,000, lol, I had no clue what it was, then of course I realized it was the 383, lol... I never looked at the price of ****, but now is a different life

DM

Last edited by Devils Mentor; 04-22-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds to me like we have somebody who just heard the name "Dog Box", most likely hanging around some DSM guys, and is throwing the name around....

Most "dog boxes" still require a clutch

Is there a reason you want a clutchless transmission? Do you have a vehicle quick enough to warrant it?

If clutch to shift bothers you that bad go with a manual valvebody auto.

-Will
Old 04-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TARZAN
Sounds to me like we have somebody who just heard the name "Dog Box", most likely hanging around some DSM guys, and is throwing the name around....

Most "dog boxes" still require a clutch

Is there a reason you want a clutchless transmission? Do you have a vehicle quick enough to warrant it?

If clutch to shift bothers you that bad go with a manual valvebody auto.

-Will
lol, I am 37 years old, I don't need to toss around words like a 20 year old... I just left a scene where I had more into a simple intake than most would have in the full suspension of a Trans Am. My VR4 had over 550 to all 4 wheels. May not sound like much, but nice for a 3.0L

As for the Dog Box, I have driven one and like it a lot! Fun to drive! I have done the reverse manual valve body in my last Camaro, but it is no where as fun as a Dog Box.

Oh, and why would a Dog Box be a DSM/JDM only thing? Have you driven one? If not, find one... You would love it!

And as for clutchless driving, I can do that with any manual, but like I said, a Don Box is FUN!

Oh, and the only time a Dog Box requires a clutch, is on coming to a stop or leaving a light. If you are using a clutch at any other point, then you don't know how to drive a DB.

DM
Old 04-22-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Problem is clutches are meant to be used for a reason, on a synchro transmission you will wear it out pretty quick. Both my vehicles are manuals, the camaro with the T-56, and my truck with the ZF-6. I use the clutch in both as I don't feel like rebuilding the transmission all the time.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jon5212
^^^ Problem is clutches are meant to be used for a reason, on a synchro transmission you will wear it out pretty quick. Both my vehicles are manuals, the camaro with the T-56, and my truck with the ZF-6. I use the clutch in both as I don't feel like rebuilding the transmission all the time.
Well RPM matching is not too difficult, takes a little practice and a good ear.

DM
Old 04-22-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 912 Posts

Oh, and the only time a Dog Box requires a clutch, is on coming to a stop or leaving a light.....
Technically that is correct. However, you can not be at WOT throttle and still shift it without the clutch. Dog rings are not magic. Somehow the load on the input shaft must be relieved at the moment that the shift is being made. There are several ways to accomplish this. One is to use the clutch. More accurately, the clutch just has to be slipped. Another way is to use a slipper clutch that never fully engages during the whole quarter mile pass. Yet another way to unload the load on the input shaft is to lift slightly off the gas. Finally, you can have an EFI system that has a "flat shift" feature. In this case, the shifter lever has a built in switch. When the lever is moved to select the next gear a signal is sent to the ECU to momentarily cut the ignition. This cuts the load on the input shaft and allows a quick, smooth shift to be made.

The Liberty and other clutchless transmissions work in a similar way, but they use specially designed one way "dogs" that will allow one gear to be engaged, up to the moment when the next gear is selected. This design is great for drag racing, but these transmissions can not be downshifted, and they will pop out of gear inless there is constant load on the input shaft.

Andrew
Old 04-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Technically that is correct. However, you can not be at WOT throttle and still shift it without the clutch. Dog rings are not magic. Somehow the load on the input shaft must be relieved at the moment that the shift is being made. There are several ways to accomplish this. One is to use the clutch. More accurately, the clutch just has to be slipped. Another way is to use a slipper clutch that never fully engages during the whole quarter mile pass. Yet another way to unload the load on the input shaft is to lift slightly off the gas. Finally, you can have an EFI system that has a "flat shift" feature. In this case, the shifter lever has a built in switch. When the lever is moved to select the next gear a signal is sent to the ECU to momentarily cut the ignition. This cuts the load on the input shaft and allows a quick, smooth shift to be made.

The Liberty and other clutchless transmissions work in a similar way, but they use specially designed one way "dogs" that will allow one gear to be engaged, up to the moment when the next gear is selected. This design is great for drag racing, but these transmissions can not be downshifted, and they will pop out of gear inless there is constant load on the input shaft.

Andrew
Yeah I release the load via the throttle. I guess you could power sift into it since the harder you slam into the next gear them more the Dogs like it, lol, but since it was not my DB and I did not feel like paying a $4K bill, I feathered the throttle when I shifted

I am more into road racing and AX, the 1/4 mile got some what old with me when i was around 20. Line me up with about 10+ other on something like the Dragon's Tail and I am ready to slam some gears and rape some tread

As for the faceplate gearing; like I said, I RPM match when I shift at times so not to use the clutch, this includes down shifting. It sucks to hear that you can not DS with these.

Thanks for the info!

DM

Quick Reply: Do they make a Dog Box for the LS1 Fbody?