Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Installed Tick Master and now....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 04:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Installed Tick Master and now....

Just last week I installed the tick master cylinder since my stock one decided to take a crap on me. Everything was fine up until today. Took off from a stop light and the clutch peddle was vibrating pretty bad. Go to shift into the next gear and I can feel the peddle pulsing worse. While sitting still the and putting some pressure on the peddle I can feel it pulsing as well. The higher the rpm's go up the faster it vibrates. Clutch was installed about 2 months ago. I know on the instructions for the tick master cylinder it says to be careful where you put the peddle height at because it could cause problems with the pressure plate. Once the master was installed it was engaging right off the floor so we backed it out a little and took it for a drive. Everything was working just fine until today. Could I have damaged the PP? I have been through so much crap with this car it's depressing. Any ideas on what could be going on?
Old 09-06-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the linkage maybe it loosened up on ya.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:13 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah I checked that already. Thought that might have been it. It's still tight.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like something wrong with your clutch assy. Sorry.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:03 PM
9 Second Club

Do you think I messed something up not having the master adjusted correctly? It was working perfectly fine up until today. It still shifts fine and everything, just getting the vibration.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:40 AM
FormerVendor

First of all, slow down some.....take it from teh top...

What Clutch and what Level?

If a higher level clutch, could just be some NORMAL chatter that you can get from time to time. So, answer that, and let's go from there...
Old 09-07-2009, 08:53 AM
9 Second Club

The clutch I believe is garbage. It's a Luk Pro Gold, which I think is just a stock LS6 replacement clutch. Has maybe 1000 miles on it. Worked perfectly fine up until yesterday though. Cruising down the road is when I notice the peddle vibration most. Higher the RPMS the more I can feel it. Also, when the car is off the clutch peddle feels nice and tight like it did when I first installed the new master and dorve it around, no play or anything in it. Once I start the car the peddle has some play up top and just doesn't feel right at all. I can wiggle the peddle with my hand an inch or so before it gets hard to push in, with the car off it's solid though. Now when I depress the peddle slightly when the car is running, just enough to get the play out of it and then let off, doing this a couple of times will tighten it up some and it feels pretty good. Also noticed last night when rolling and I do this, just depressing the clutch to where it gets hard to push, the vibration kind of goes away. Still drives and shifts fine from what I can tell however.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:00 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
The clutch I believe is garbage. It's a Luk Pro Gold, which I think is just a stock LS6 replacement clutch. Has maybe 1000 miles on it. Worked perfectly fine up until yesterday though. Cruising down the road is when I notice the peddle vibration most. Higher the RPMS the more I can feel it. Also, when the car is off the clutch peddle feels nice and tight like it did when I first installed the new master and dorve it around, no play or anything in it. Once I start the car the peddle has some play up top and just doesn't feel right at all. I can wiggle the peddle with my hand an inch or so before it gets hard to push in, with the car off it's solid though. Now when I depress the peddle slightly when the car is running, just enough to get the play out of it and then let off, doing this a couple of times will tighten it up some and it feels pretty good. Also noticed last night when rolling and I do this, just depressing the clutch to where it gets hard to push, the vibration kind of goes away. Still drives and shifts fine from what I can tell however.

Hmm, hard to really understand what is going on.

Does NOT sound like a clutch problem though. You are saying with teh clutch pedal all teh way out (released) and driving down teh road, is when the pedal is vibrating?

Well, I would say that you installed it (MC) incorrectly, and left the linkage loose, BUT, you say you installed teh MC @ 2 months ago, right?

Well, MAYBE something came loose...check linkage up under dash....for binding/interference, etc...
Old 09-07-2009, 10:30 AM
9 Second Club

MC was installed a week ago. Worked fine for a few days and now this. Linkage is tight, checked it yesterday.

Yes, while driving down the road and I rest my foot on the clutch, riding the clutch if you will, is when I feel the vibration (and I don't ride the clutch at all, just playing with it this way to feel the vibration). When the car is at a stop in neutral and I rev the car the peddles pulses as well. Should I try bleeding it again? It feels weird when the car is running, but when it is off it feels just like it should.

I appreciate the help!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I've seen loose pressure plate bolts do the exact same thing. The pedal will vibrate. Otherwise I'd say something has happened to the pressure plate...
Old 09-08-2009, 03:13 PM
FormerVendor

MC was installed a week ago. Worked fine for a few days and now this. Linkage is tight, checked it yesterday.

Yes, while driving down the road and I rest my foot on the clutch, riding the clutch if you will, is when I feel the vibration (and I don't ride the clutch at all, just playing with it this way to feel the vibration). When the car is at a stop in neutral and I rev the car the peddles pulses as well. Should I try bleeding it again? It feels weird when the car is running, but when it is off it feels just like it should.

I appreciate the help!

Ahhh, OK. Well, that being teh case, does sound like a clutch problem (or maybe even a pilot bearing) really can't take to much for granted, or assume anything. Let me ask you this...when you installed the clutch 2 months ago, did you put in a new pilot beariing? If not, do you know how old it is? If you have a bad PB, input shaft could be walking around, causing a vibration as well...
Again, can't overlook anything....
Old 09-08-2009, 05:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
I've seen loose pressure plate bolts do the exact same thing. The pedal will vibrate. Otherwise I'd say something has happened to the pressure plate...
Could I have had the master adjusted wrong to cause something to happen to the pressure plate?

Gen414, I had a shop install the clutch, hence the not stock replacement clutch being in there. I am pretty sure they installed a new pilot bearing as well. Said that everything was new.

Would bleeding the master again be worth the effort? Would that even cause these problems? If not I am taking it back to the shop that installed the clutch. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could I have had the master adjusted wrong to cause something to happen to the pressure plate?

Gen414, I had a shop install the clutch, hence the not stock replacement clutch being in there. I am pretty sure they installed a new pilot bearing as well. Said that everything was new.

Would bleeding the master again be worth the effort? Would that even cause these problems? If not I am taking it back to the shop that installed the clutch. Thanks for all the help guys.
Nope, do not bother bleeding, this does not sound like a hydraulic issue at all. Definitely something is either wrong with the clutch, or something else in the driveline is causing the vibration.

As was mentioned, the pressure plate bolts could have come loose. There should be no vibration in the clutch pedal like you are describing if the clutch assembly is in good working condition. I would take it back to the shop and see if they can find out what the issue is.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you adjust the throw on the master out so far that it over extends the fingers on the pp then it "could" cause damage. I've never seen this and out of all the kits we've sold we have only had one customer actually damage one and let us know about it.

I adjusted one of our masters out farther than it should have been one time just to see how the pp would react/feel. You can actually tell the point where the pp has been released as much as it wants to go...the feel of the pedal would change just before the pedal hit the floor. It would get hard and just didn't feel right...its tough to explain. If you follow our instructions and adjust it out in small increments you should never have anything to worry about.

My money is on loose pressure plate bolts, but if not it will be the pressure plate itself. Something is going on with the fingers of the pressure plate not being even all the way around, which is translated as a pulsation back through the tob, slave, and up to the pedal. A couple of lose bolts will make the fingers uneven, but if you get the tranny out and all the bolts are still torqued but the fingers aren't even then you will know its a faulty pressure plate.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

Well maybe it was adjusted wrong. I had it adjusted first where it was releasing right off the floor and the peddle throw was very short, so I backed it out some. Still don't think it is that close to where it was with the stock master though. Guess I'm taking it back to the shop and have them tear it down.

Also, how far out is too far as far as the peddle goes? Mine is probably even with the brake peddle.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by RedRocketZ28; 09-08-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Just about every one I install comes out to be about level with the brake pedal. Some a little higher and some a little lower but every setup is different. You probably didn't do anything wrong with the adjustment...have them check the bolts and report back.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:15 PM
9 Second Club

Will do. Thanks again!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

What is the word champ?
Old 09-11-2009, 01:07 PM
9 Second Club

Took it back to the shop. They adjusted the peddle out more, ha. Told them it wasn't supposed to be like that too. The guy said that he never heard of a peddle vibrating like that on a hydraulic system. Talking to people like this is a chore for sure. They don't have a clue about anything it seems. Anyway, I drove it back home. Got on it a bit and it shifted fine. Vibration is still there obviously but it's not that bad. Still some play at the top of the peddle before it starts to disengage the clutch. I think I am going to have them take a look at the clutch next week to make sure. He also said that it is very unlikely the bolts backed out of the pressure plate too. We will see what happens I guess.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:41 PM
9 Second Club

Finally got around to pulling the transmission last night with the help of a buddy (go ahead and flame but I haven't driven the car much at all since the vibration started). Jonathan was right, it was loose pressure plate bolts. Two of the bolts right next to each other were not even close to being tight. My buddy could loosen them with his hand. I hope this will fix my problem. Everything else from the flywheel to the clutch looks good. Just wanted to update the thread and let everyone know what I found out.

Quick Reply: Installed Tick Master and now....