Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Drill mod review

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Drill mod review

I just did the drill mod and it did not help with my high rpm shifting issues. I wanted to try before I bought a tick MC.

I hope it's just the master, because I don't want to deal with pulling the tranny for the slave.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't heard of anyone actually fixing their shift issues with the drill mod. But I've heard lots of success stories with the Tick MC.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the drill mod and it helped out a lot. It didn't fully fix it.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I skipped the drill mod and just installed the tick a few days ago and everything is good now. I can finally shift again!
Old 09-25-2009, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I haven't heard of anyone actually fixing their shift issues with the drill mod. But I've heard lots of success stories with the Tick MC.
If it doesn't fix the shift issues, then why do people do it in the first place?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

The drill mod does help with shifting issues, but add more power and a beefier clutch and it probably isn't enough. After 1 year my drill modded master started bleeding off a bit of pressure and sticking after consecutive shifts.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:46 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 6.0 silverado
If it doesn't fix the shift issues, then why do people do it in the first place?
It does help with higher rpm shift issues mainly.
It obviously doesn't fix previously damaged synchro keys, which some "shift issues" are.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmd
It does help with higher rpm shift issues mainly.
It obviously doesn't fix previously damaged synchro keys, which some "shift issues" are.
How can you tell if the synchros are damaged? It shifts through all the gears easily and smoothly at low rpms. I've ground the gears a number of times trying to high rpm power shift and it won't go in. I have to pump the cluth a couple times and then it goes in.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I liken the drill mod to putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound. Sometimes it may help, but it definitely doesn't fix the problem.

Step up to our Adjustable Master Cylinder kit - you won't look back. Promise!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Joey@TickPerf
I liken the drill mod to putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound. Sometimes it may help, but it definitely doesn't fix the problem.

Step up to our Adjustable Master Cylinder kit - you won't look back. Promise!
I am definitely thinking about it. I don't want my wife to kill me though. I just did full exhaust and few other things. It would be REALLY nice to bang what ever gear I wanted, when I wanted. That must feel good...
Old 09-27-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same problem until I put in my mcleod adjustable master cylinder 2 years ago and haven't looked back.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

My tick MC arrived today! I am excited to throw it in tomorrow...

I'll post my results...
Old 10-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cousin did the drill mod on his TA. Don't know if it helped him or not, he hasn't drove it since he did it. I just got my TICK MC installed and adjusted yesterday. I love it. Clutch pedal feels a lot firmer which will take some getting used to but other than that...DEFINITELY WORTH THE MONEY. I didn't expect the drill mod to work on my H/C/I SS neways. The way the master was acting, i didn't figure nething but a TICK would do.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been having the same issues so just decided to go with the tick, my question is do you guys think it is worth doing the drill mod when i do the tick or will it be fine without?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by welldonecj7
I have been having the same issues so just decided to go with the tick, my question is do you guys think it is worth doing the drill mod when i do the tick or will it be fine without?
The Tick already has the drill mod done, so to speak.

The drill mod just removes the restriction that's in the factory line that runs from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. The Tick master cylinder never has a restriction to begin with, so in a sense, the mod is already done, but it was never there to begin with. Make sense?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Been there done that on the drill mod ... waste of time honestly.

Had my Tick/mc for about 6K miles with an LS7 clutch, every possible driving scenario including a 3500 mile trip from Crapifornia to Texas and back.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Wad thinking of doing drill mod, but then resided that I should just buy new master cylinder. Before that can happan I think my syncros are bad....so great more money lmao
Old 06-19-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
The Tick already has the drill mod done, so to speak.

The drill mod just removes the restriction that's in the factory line that runs from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. The Tick master cylinder never has a restriction to begin with, so in a sense, the mod is already done, but it was never there to begin with. Make sense?
Yea, i totally spaced that it has a new line with it and that it was prob different, I was thinking that I would have to connect the stock line to it. Thanks

Everyone have pretty good luck and like the tick mc? (from what I have read everyone likes it a lot, takes a little getting used to little different pedal feel i hear.)
Old 06-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I've had great luck with mine...it falls into the class of modifications on my car that I would do again in a heartbeat and not even think twice about it.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 6.0 silverado
How can you tell if the synchros are damaged? It shifts through all the gears easily and smoothly at low rpms. I've ground the gears a number of times trying to high rpm power shift and it won't go in. I have to pump the cluth a couple times and then it goes in.
Once your synchros/ blocker rings are worn out you can feel the grind or it not wanting to go into gear.

Before that you would have to take the trans apart and use a feeler gauge to check how far down the blocker rung is sitting on the gear. I think if it's below .05 it's bad or should be replaced.

Quick Reply: Drill mod review