Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Has anyone ever heard of a LUKE clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003 | 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Question Has anyone ever heard of a LUKE clutch?

I have a guy at a shop that says he can get me a kevlar clutch with a aluminum flywheel for a real good price. He swears that this clutch is kick *** and doesnt have any chatter problems and all that. The clutch is made my LUKE, I guess that is how you spell it. Do any of you hav any experience with this brand? I did a search and didnt find anything. Just trying to do a little research before I buy anything.

,Justin
Old 12-03-2003 | 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it is LUK. This is the company that makes the stock crap that is already on your car.
Old 12-03-2003 | 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

it is LuK and they are the ones that make the stock clutchs. ask him for the Luk part number and ill let you know if its the pro gold or just a ls6 clutch
Old 12-04-2003 | 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep, it's LUK. When I first bought my car I had to take it in for some transmission work under warrenty. When they replaced my clutch, they told me that they wouldn't put a "racing clutch" in my car for me unless they charged me full installation price. Well, I was to LS1-ignorant at the time to argue, so I let them put the LUK clutch in for me. Hasn't been a bad clutch actually though. I've had it for almost 40K and it hasn't given me one problem. Release point has been inconsistent at times (maybe that's an issue with all clutches, I don't know) but it grabs hard everytime, and trust me I've done my fair share of beating on it. No chatter either.
Old 12-04-2003 | 04:41 PM
LSX Mechanic

LUK is a mass-producer of MANY different clutch setups, including several aftermarket. I know they used to build McCleod and Centerforce clutch's on their assembly line for the two companies. Not sure whats going on over there these days.

Give it a shot. You might uncover a new clutch setup that they have developed and nobody knows about it yet..Either way I don't think you're going to get a bad clutch, LUK has been in the game for years...

Josh
Old 12-04-2003 | 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, I always like getting some feedback on any thing before I buy it. I think he did call it a performance gold clutch. So im guessing thats the top end set up right? He agve me a price on the clutch and a aluminium flywheel for right at $600. Dont the aluminum flywheels go for around $300? Does this sound like a good deal? Or should I go with something a little more well know like a spec? Witch I think would be $400 or so with out the flywheel.

,Justin
Old 12-04-2003 | 05:14 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by 99TranTrany
Thanks guys, I always like getting some feedback on any thing before I buy it. I think he did call it a performance gold clutch. So im guessing thats the top end set up right? He agve me a price on the clutch and a aluminium flywheel for right at $600. Dont the aluminum flywheels go for around $300? Does this sound like a good deal? Or should I go with something a little more well know like a spec? Witch I think would be $400 or so with out the flywheel.

,Justin
For that kind of price, i'd get something proven and more known. The newer Spec clutch's are working great and you don't need a different flywheel. You also need to base your decision on future plans for the car. If you plan on spraying like your sig says, you'll need something that can handle the TQ shock from nitrous such as a Spec Stg 3 or something comparible. I like the Spec clutch's because they do not require an adj. master cylinder..

josh
Old 12-06-2003 | 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks josh, I think im about to order a spec III. Is there any thing else that I need to get with it?
Old 12-07-2003 | 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the price he gave you was for a luk pro gold clutch which comes with an a aluminium flywheel 600.00 is a good price. I have this exact clutch in my SS and have no problems at all with it. No chatter and holds great. Luk makes execelent products and as far as people saying don't try anything new Luk has probably made more clutchs than anyone and probably supplies most other company's with some parts as well

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever heard of a LUKE clutch?