Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 3+ questions...Please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec 3+ questions...Please help

So I've got the chance to get a used spec stage 3+ clutch and pressure plate for $250...I was wondering if I'm gonna have to do the shimming and if this clutch would work with a lightened flywheel from any manufacturer?? It has 10k miles on it so how much longevity could I expect on the street with maybe 2 or 3 trips to the track a year...on street tires...it would be going in a 2002 camaro ss.

Any help or suggestions would be awesome.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt expect much more out of that clutch with 10k miles on it already. On average, they last about 15k - 20k with street duty.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:12 AM
Staging Lane

Wow...that's terrible...if that's true, I'm definitely gonna pass.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:36 AM
FormerVendor

Hugg, It all comes down to the shape that the parts are in. If you can mic the disc thickness and let me know how it measures out I will be happy to provide you with information relative to its current wear. Also, you can post some pics of the parts to and I will take a look and let you know how they appear to me.

Barney, I can certainly appreciate the desire to share info but it seems that you may either have a slightly skewed perspective or may not have any personal experience with our parts. The Stage 3+ kit is actually a very durable unit that handles street use quite well. Though clutch life is relative to a number of factors including driving style, flatness of flywheel used, tprque output and usage...I have many, many customers with much greater mileage than 20K. If you have any questions about our kits I will be happy to assist you further.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

I have a Spec 3+ with a stock flywheel.. making decent power and it holds like a monster. Pretty stock feeling too.. ive put about 5k miles on the clutch i think, no complaints
Old 11-17-2009, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Hugg, It all comes down to the shape that the parts are in. If you can mic the disc thickness and let me know how it measures out I will be happy to provide you with information relative to its current wear. Also, you can post some pics of the parts to and I will take a look and let you know how they appear to me.

Barney, I can certainly appreciate the desire to share info but it seems that you may either have a slightly skewed perspective or may not have any personal experience with our parts. The Stage 3+ kit is actually a very durable unit that handles street use quite well. Though clutch life is relative to a number of factors including driving style, flatness of flywheel used, tprque output and usage...I have many, many customers with much greater mileage than 20K. If you have any questions about our kits I will be happy to assist you further.
I'm not knockin spec clutches at all. I'm on my 2nd spec 3+. I'm harder on clutches than most since i do alot of street strip driving. I'm sure 7k launches dont help with longevity. Trust me, I'm more than happy with this clutch. I was basing my post of of my experiance and a few others I kno with the 3+. But like you said, the driving habbits and power levels will vary the clutch's life span. I apologize if it seem like I was bashing the product.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Banned

Hey guys were is grap point on your spec 3+ kits ??

Mine was realy low when installed ... now its about mid- 3/4 top range afer 1000k of driving .. Feels good

But I know when a clutch grips at the tippy top its on it way out...

Is mid - 3/4 ways up range a normal grab point ?
Old 11-17-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is at and has always been near the top. I have a pedal stopper installed that cuts all the dead area of the pedal out and now my total travel is 50% of what it was stock.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Mine is at and has always been near the top. I have a pedal stopper installed that cuts all the dead area of the pedal out and now my total travel is 50% of what it was stock.
nice, and you've had this setup for a while ?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:16 PM

i dont know how ppl kill these clutches other than they don't know how to drive a standard car, my first SPEC stage 3 i took out after 50k miles only cus i figured it might be tired and i was gonna be going to the track during the summer months, we took it out at the shop and it was still good. i swapped in the SPEC 3+ and have kicked its *** at the track leaving just shy of the limiter repeatedly with NO ISSUES, NO Shim, Stock flywheel, and i am a daily driven 450rwhp+nos car
Old 11-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

The guy who has it has a trex cammed z28 with big slicks...and he goes to the track alot...i'm guessing it's pretty beat...I'm leaning towards an LS7 clutch because my car only has mild mods and I want it to be really streetable...just wish I could get a lightened flywheel too!
Old 11-18-2009, 08:04 AM
FormerVendor

We offer an Aluminum flywheel for use with the stock LS7 type clutch kit, part nummber SC66A-2. This unit costs $479 and if you have any questions about it I will be happy to assist you with info. Just let me know....

Of course, the down side of the LS7 clutch assembly is that it uses an SAC-type pressure-plate which causes it to be a bit more vague in terms of engagement and that as a result of it's self-adjusting design can cause the plate to miss-adjust. I would recommend going with an option that eliminates the SAC plate...but I suppose I am a bit biased! Remember too that we offer a lot of other options aside from the stage 3+ that are less expensive and still very capable of handling bolt-ons and street use.

Quick Reply: Spec 3+ questions...Please help