Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Follow me through my journey of the famous clutch sticking problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Follow me through my journey of the famous clutch sticking problem

I thought I would create this thread not to whine but to show others my current journey in getting this common problem fixed. Hopefully it will be of some use unlike other wtf my clutch is stuck help me threads.

First things first I picked up a 2001 SS M6 Camaro with Slp Lid, SLP Exhaust, and some suspension work just four days ago 3/15/2010. Upon driving it I immediately notice at higher rpm shifts 4k plus into 3rd and 4th it would either not go into gear or would grind terribly and it would take a few pumps of the clutch to restore fuction. So I got to work via the help of my mechanic.

03/16/2010: Changed the clutch fluid it was black and nasty and replaced with a common Dot3 fluid.

Result: No change in the problem

03/17/2010: Flushed the entire system and replaced the clutch fluid with a high grade Dot4. Also bled any air out of the system.

Result: No change in the problem in fact it seemed worse not wanting to go into 2nd gear without pumping the clutch.

3/18/2010: Doing the drill mod should be finished within the hour. Not expecting this to cure it completely but it may help from what I have read.

Result: Pulled the line and the previous owner had already done the drill mod so the problem remains.

03/18/2010: Calling the local Chevrolet dealership they have had to deal with this problem at some through warranty work and been able to fix it.

Result: Tech says they have never seen this problem before......right. Calling another dealership/tech that's not fresh outta school and who has actually worked on these cars long enough to know there is a major issue.

03/19/2010: A 25 year tech from Chevrolet just got back to me and said the following. They are very aware of the problem and are also in agreement that there is no one "fix" that will cure it. They used to go in and replace the slave and master but that would usually only fix 50% of the vehicles that came in. The only sure fire fix for this problem is to replace the entire system [Master, Slave, Clutch, Pressure Plate, Line]. So now when someone comes in with the problem they will only do a full system replace due to the fact they don't want to charge you $600.00 bucks on a slave replacement and not have it work.

Result: Learned that this problem isn't a one particular part. It can be a failure at any one or more of the hydraulic portions of the transmission.

03/22/2010: The problem is getting worse now its doing it even at low rpms and is starting to stick in first or second gear. 2 times today I took off very slow only to have the damn thing not wanna get outta first until I pumped the clutch a few times. My mechanic quoted me $549.00 for a new slave installed and $300.00 for a new clutch master installed. Fortunately I was given a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty from the dealer I purchased the car from and am filing a claim.

03/23/2010: Tired of chasing this "ghost" in my clutch. I manned up a just ordered the Tick MC too many rave reviews to ignore. I am getting it shipped two-day air so I should have it in by Monday. I'll keep you all updated!

04/02/2010: The Tick M/C came in yesterday and I am in the process of installing it. It's a tight fit so far but what a beautiful piece of equipment Tick isn't kidding when they say this thing is top notch. I'll let you know how the test drive goes in just a bit I am hoping and praying this fixes it.

04/02/2010: Ok the Tick has been installed so here we go. Made 4 high rpm passes from 2-4 shifted great. Got to a stoplight and revved it to 2500 rpm and went to bang second and the shifter went in but the clutch didn't engage the motor almost bounced of the rev limiter. Went to slow down and I notice the clutch pedal is almost on the floor pulled it up with my foot and came to a stop. When I went to take off again the clutch grabbed as soon as I let the clutch pedal a half inch off the floor and stalled the car. I made another 1-2 takeoff not quite as high of an rpm (maybe 5k when I shifted into second) and it was smooth as butter. I shifted into 3rd and 4th with no problem. Did one more launch and red lined it into second and same thing shifter went into 2nd but the clutch didn't engage the motor just revved and the clutch went to the floor.

Result: The Tick improved the 2-3-4 shift a ton with normal and high rpm shifting. It's very smooth. But now there is a new problem the shift from 1-2 on high rpm the clutch isn't engaging in second and the pedal goes to the floor. Hopefully this is just and adjustment to the M/C if not looks like it's time to change the slave.

04/05/2010: Finally got the trans outta the car and was shocked at what I found. My pilot bearing that goes on the end of the input shaft is disintegrated and the PP has more hots spots that my EX-wife has STDS. There was also quite a bit of trans fluid in the bell housing itself which tells me this problem has been here for quite sometime. I am having my trans guy come over and take a look at it today to see if they are going to need to go through the trans or if I can just replace the Slave, Pilot, Clutch, PP.

04/12/2010: OK major update. The input shaft of the trans is needs replacing as well as the bearing on the inside of the trans. This bearing crapped out causing the input shaft to "wiggle" which in turn smoked the pilot bearing which ruined the clutch, PP, and flywheel. I have a 12 month warranty on the car and since I just bought it I assumed this would be covered. Well the warranty guy came and told me it wasn't covered because the pilot went bad and it's not a internally lubricated part. Warranty companies are notorious for trying to **** you outta coverage so I called and raised hell telling them to prove the pilot went out before the internal bearing. After 4 days they finally broke and said they would cover it. Now time to decide on a clutch I am thinking of doing the LS7 as a replacement. Should be finished by later this week.

04/16/2010: Well it's all done! Installed the LS7 clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, slave, and bearings. Took it out for a spin about an hour ago and the problem has been FIXED!!!! Good lord it's amazing to drive this car without fear of shifting.

So after all is said and done this is what it took.

1. Tick M/C
2 Slave
3. LS7 Clutch
4. Flywheel
5. Pressure Plate
6. A lot of swearing and phone calls.

I'll do a much more detailed final post tonight but for now I wanna go drive my car!

Last edited by ArcticMissile; 04-16-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Launching!

when mine did that i replaced the clutch master cylinder and cured the problem
Old 03-18-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did the drill mod and put on a McLeod stainless line from master to slave as well as fluid flush with Dot4. Didn't do a damn thing. I replaced the master and slave and line with tick products and gm slave. I am assuming the problem will be fixed after I break in the new clutch.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

New master for sure but id replace the slave too if you drop the trans. In fact anytime the trans comes out id replace the slave too for future reference.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

*Updated post* Drill mod had already been done by previous owner.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Called a Chevrolet dealership's service department tech. Who stated he has never heard of this problem before with any of the Camaros/Firebirds and that its takes awhile to get the 6 speed shift pattern down lol.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmmm.......
usually putting a good pressure plate in makes the problem go away?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

haha thats classic. My caddy has been doing this for a while now. Its really starting to **** me off. Nobody makes a better master than factory for the V so thats not an option. People seem to have great luck with the New Fidanza twin and the Monster clutches. After I get my trans fixed, the POS Spec is coming out and one of those two are going in.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

We were thinking of replacing the master cylinder but that doesn't make any sense. The master gives the same pressure no matter if I am shifting at 2k or 6k this is a high rpm problem. We are starting to lean more towards the slave has gone bad.

The problem is each car is different there is no one "fix" that will for sure fix it. I can't believe that Chevrolet or an after market company hasn't come out and said "this is the problem and this is how you fix it period"

As for tomorrow talking to a 25 year tech at Chevy and a possible slave/master change.

The journey continues tomorrow!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

I've done everything. I thought I had a slave problem so I bought new slave and new master and still the exact problem. I'm thinking its a pressure plate problem.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:14 PM
FormerVendor

I'm leaning towards the pressure plate as well. Looks like it's time for a new clutch.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

*Update* 03/19/2010: A 25 year tech from Chevrolet just got back to me and said the following. They are very aware of the problem and are also in agreement that there is no one "fix" that will cure it. They used to go in and replace the slave and master but that would usually only fix 50% of the vehicles that came in. The only sure fire fix for this problem is to replace the entire system [Master, Slave, Clutch, Pressure Plate, Line]. So now when someone comes in with the problem they will only do a full system replace due to the fact they don't want to charge you $600.00 bucks on a slave replacement and not have it work.

Interesting stuff how Chevy knows there's a problem but like us doesn't have a specific fix for it.

As far as my car in concerned I believe the clutch is fine as there is no slippage what-so ever but it could be a pressure plate problem. Instead of forking out over a grand to do the full system replace I believe there are a few company's on this site that seem to have a probable fix for it so I will researching those this weekend. I am going to continue my search by replacing the master on Sunday and/or purchasing one of the fixes from these company's.

I'll keep the updates coming until this is resolved.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

*Update* 03/22/2010: The problem is getting worse now its doing it even at low rpms and is starting to stick in first or second gear. 2 times today I took off very slow only to have the damn thing not wanna get outta first until I pumped the clutch a few times. My mechanic quoted me $549.00 for a new slave installed and $300.00 for a new clutch master installed. Fortunately I was given a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty from the dealer I purchased the car from and am filing a claim.

If its covered that will free up some cash so I am thinking I might as well do the tick master and a new pressure plate/clutch since it will be apart. I will be adding a cam and long tubes within the next 2 months so upgrading everything in the transmission is a smart move. So this whole problem might be a blessing in disguise.

Work starts Thursday I'll keep you all posted!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

*Update*03/23/2010: Tired of chasing this "ghost" in my clutch. I manned up a just ordered the Tick MC too many rave reviews to ignore. I am getting it shipped two-day air so I should have it in by Monday. I'll keep you all updated!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope it works for you. If not, I'm thinking pressure plate.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ill let you know how my entire new system is by this weekend as well. I was having the same problems you were, up until you started talking about the low rev issues. I only had problems at WOT or high RPM shifting. I ended up replacing everything, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, line, slave, and master. I went with tick products for the bleeder, line, and MC, and Monster for the clutch setup and GM for the slave. Still breaking everything in. Should be broke in by the end of the week if my driving habits continue. There should be no reason for me to have any problems now, considering the only GM part about this is the slave.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Ya I am hoping and praying it's making the car no fun to drive. I should clarify that the problems shifting at low rpms were right after high rpm runs. If this doesn't work it's time to tear into the transmission and replace everything.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

04/02/2010: The Tick M/C came in yesterday and I am in the process of installing it. It's a tight fit so far but what a beautiful piece of equipment Tick isn't kidding when they say this thing is top notch. I'll let you know how the test drive goes in just a bit I am hoping and praying this fixes it.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

get the thing in already and let us know how it goes lol
Old 04-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

04/02/2010: Ok the Tick has been installed so here we go. Made 4 high rpm passes from 2-4 shifted great. Got to a stoplight and revved it to 2500 rpm and went to bang second and the shifter went in but the clutch didn't engage the motor almost bounced of the rev limiter. Went to slow down and I notice the clutch pedal is almost on the floor pulled it up with my foot and came to a stop. When I went to take off again the clutch grabbed as soon as I let the clutch pedal a half inch off the floor and stalled the car. I made another 1-2 takeoff not quite as high of an rpm (maybe 5k when I shifted into second) and it was smooth as butter. I shifted into 3rd and 4th with no problem. Did one more launch and red lined it into second and same thing shifter went into 2nd but the clutch didn't engage the motor just revved and the clutch went to the floor.

Result: The Tick improved the 2-3-4 shift a ton with normal and high rpm shifting. It's very smooth. But now there is a new problem the shift from 1-2 on high rpm the clutch isn't engaging in second and the pedal goes to the floor. Hopefully this is just and adjustment to the M/C if not looks like it's time to change the slave.

Quick Reply: Follow me through my journey of the famous clutch sticking problem