Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tick master and monster clutch sticky pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tick master and monster clutch sticky pedal

Ive had the setup for about 5 months now, and just last week the pedal started to stick to the floor.
The clutch fully engages in the first two inches making it impossible to drive. When coasting in gear with the clutch in, the car lurches forward as if my clutch isnt disengaging.
What could my problem be, and how do i fix it?? i want to get as many opinions as possible.

-Brian
Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

the slave, clutch, and tick all have about 1k miles on them. Hopefully things just got hot, and need to be bled
Old 04-28-2010, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

I'm still a little new myself, so i don't really know how much help I can be, but I did have some questions that may help out the people who know more on the subject.

So previous to this last week where the clutch has began to act up, it was perfectly fine? Clutch engagement and coasting issues have been new symptoms new as of this past week correct?

From what I've found out on this forum, I'd want to say it needs to be bled more. But, if it acted fine the first 5 months or so, and just now the problems are arising, that's beyond my knowledge.

Any other Mods done to the car? I think headers have been known to heat up the fluid more than manifolds, but unless done in the past week I think that would have been noticeable from the get go. Anything recently done to the car?

Sorry if that didn't help much, but hopefully someone else more experienced than I will chime in. GL with getting it situated,

-Brandon.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

It might be possible that you need to clean your clutch hydraulic fluid.

http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

Old 04-29-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

i do have longtubes, and the line does look a little bit close to the headers. Should i try the mityvac technique, or should i do a full fluid change?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 70hemicuda
i do have longtubes, and the line does look a little bit close to the headers. Should i try the mityvac technique, or should i do a full fluid change?
How often do you change your fluid? I watched the ranger link above and follow that protocol now. I check my fluid all the time now, and from what I've learned it needs to be changed quite often. Your clutch will feel better and last much longer. I'd bet a fluid change/bleed will probably solve your problems. Like the link above says, just check your fluid every time you fill up with gas. It only took 6 passes at the track before the fluid needed to be changed.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Is the resevoir still full? Assuming everything was bleed and adjusted properly and the issue just started, unless there is a leak in the hydraulics somewhere I'd say to bleed/flush the system with new fluid and see what happens.

Does the pedal feel mushy or spongy?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

the pedal is not mushy, it just engages right off the floor. the first 4/5 of the clutch travel is nothing.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 70hemicuda
the pedal is not mushy, it just engages right off the floor. the first 4/5 of the clutch travel is nothing.
Nothing as in there is no pedal effort required for the first 4/5 inches, or you just have to push the clutch down that far before the clutch starts to dissengage? Does the pedal feel the same as it always did?

If the pedal effort is nothing, you may have a hydraulic leak. The resevoir will be low however. If the pedal feels normal, you may have a pressure plate issue. If it appears you have no leaks, I would bleed the system first and go from there.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

i have to push the clutch down that far before anything happens. I am going to try to bleed and change fluid and cross my fingers. Could the line by my headers be any sort of reason for this happening? the resivoir is full btw