Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just installed a Tick master...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just installed a Tick master...

First drive suggests that all of the problems I've had shifting this car since I bought it new in February of 2000 are gone. So far, I'm very impressed! I did some low rpm gear banging with no notch or grind for the first time... ever, I think. Nice firm feel. I have just a couple hundred more break in miles on the gears before I flog it to know for sure.
I'll report back.

Last edited by Steve Gunn; 08-28-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

Please be sure to share! I was lucky enough to finally have my clutch stick to the floor after trying to shift into 2nd at 6k rpm! Lol needless to say I'm putting my order in asap! So tell us how it works out for ya!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Made some passes today. Ten times better than what it was. I did notice that the shifting degraded slightly after back to back passes. I'm going to screw with the adjustment 1 more time. I might give it a final burp also.

Here's stock vs. Tick
Old 09-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Teching In

You chose wisely!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How hard was the install?
Old 09-03-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^+1 for install
Old 09-03-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a pain in the *** because of the brake booster.. i HIGHLY recommend unbolting it and moving it outa the damn way lol
Old 09-03-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

When i put mine in, I just moved the big bundle of wires out of the way, slid right in. I then went on the otherside, inside the car, and held tension on the rod to pull the studs thru the firewall enough to put the nuts on. Took a half hour.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
When i put mine in, I just moved the big bundle of wires out of the way, slid right in. I then went on the otherside, inside the car, and held tension on the rod to pull the studs thru the firewall enough to put the nuts on. Took a half hour.
^^^This here is the best way to get that monster put it, unless you don't mind unbolting the breakbooster i guess. There's a ton of choices as far as fluid goes, but if you don't want your pedal getting soft after some hard runs, you should take some time to route your line as far from the header as possible, and top off your hydraulics with the highest temp fluid you can find
Old 09-03-2010, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Mines just came in the mail today. Looks like a very quality piece. I don't have the know how with this so I'm going to have a shop throw it in. Anything I should tell them? Keep the lines as far away from the headers?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Actually had them install one on my car today. My clutch master cylinder was pretty much toast, so I don't know what a good one feels like (this is my first f-body), but the Tick unit is night and day better. Haven't really put the hammer down yet, but I might run through the gears a bit tonight. Definitely worth the money though!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put mine in a while back. I took out the booster just to make it less of a pain.

the pedal has gone south again though, may need adjusting, or a slave. or maybe the ls7 clutch bit the dust
Old 09-04-2010, 04:19 AM
On The Tree

Put one in my WS6 that I roadrace and I can't believe how much better it is over stock. The stock stuff was pretty old and I had very bad problems with the clutch peddle sinking to the floor and not going into gear. Put in the Tick unit and even with a hard 30 min session involving many shifts, I have no problems at all. I use ATE Supper blue fluid and have only replaced it once after 4 race weekends. With the extended bleeder line it's no problem at all and finally easier to do than bleeding the brakes. Great product and highly recommend it.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

The biggest problem I had was getting the bolts started from the inside. The bolts go through the pedal assembly bracket, then through the firewall. My bracket was popped out some, making it extremely difficult to get the first threads started.

After some bending and persuading with huge channel locks to get the bracket to lay flat against the firewall, I was finally able to get one started while having a phillips shoved through one hole for alignment and pushing down on the other bolt with a socket and extention with a piece of gum stuffed into the socket to hold the bolt. This part took me an hour. It would have been easier having someone guide it from the engine bay. I ended up with a massive carpet burn on my right elbow trying to wrestle the bolts in. The rest of the install wasn't too bad for a novice.
I followed the instructions in this post and it was extremely helpfull. https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...stall-how.html

I then followed these instructions to bleed the clutch because I wasn't about to pull the trans again to install the remote bleeder. https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-yourself.html
Everything else was self explanatory after reading these writeups a few times before getting started.

I had to mess with the adjustment some so the pedal engagement sensor would still work.
The feel of the pedal is much better and I got used to it within about 5 minutes of driving.

Guys, the clutch performs awesome! this is the first time I've been able to do a 5K clutch dump, then actually be able to stuff it into fourth without getting locked out. This master is a must if you're doing any aggressive driving!

Last edited by Steve Gunn; 09-06-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Teching In

put mine in yesterday, went right in. took about an hour thanks to all the tips here. thanks again everyone. gonna bleed it tomorrow again for more pedal. cant wait to hit the track.......
Old 04-03-2012, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

Sucks that Tick (or nobody for that matter) doesn't make one of these for the 1st gen CTS-V's... Tired of my dead clutch pedal issues!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemesis350
^^^This here is the best way to get that monster put it, unless you don't mind unbolting the breakbooster i guess. There's a ton of choices as far as fluid goes, but if you don't want your pedal getting soft after some hard runs, you should take some time to route your line as far from the header as possible, and top off your hydraulics with the highest temp fluid you can find
+1 on routing the line away from any heat source.

-1 for "running the highest temp fluid you can find". We did hours of R&D on these units and the best fluid that provided adequate cooling of the slave while prolonging the life of the Master cylinder was DOT 3.