Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-5/5.3 combo.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-5/5.3 combo.

What do i need to mate a T-5 to a 5.3 out of a 99 chevy truck? The trans was a 4l60E 4 wheel drive. I know that the tranny's are computer controlled, i was just wondering if i needed a bypass module or something. Also, do i need any sort of adapter for the flywheel to bolt up? The T-5 is out os a camaro and has a hydraulic cylinder attached to it.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Banned

A t5 is not computer controlled.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Teching In

I understand that, but is there any sort of computer issues with losing the 4l60E? I know that is a computer controlled tranny, but i thought i had to have some sort of module to plug into the harness to "Forget" about the trans.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:05 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Mike Davis
I understand that, but is there any sort of computer issues with losing the 4l60E? I know that is a computer controlled tranny, but i thought i had to have some sort of module to plug into the harness to "Forget" about the trans.
The only way to do it right would be to go with a custom wiring harness...possibly one that replaces the transmission side of the under-hood harness, or a whole new custom harness. There are several places that can make one for your application. Also, you would need your PCM re-flashed with a file for a standard trans truck. Otherwise, if you just leave everything unplugged, the T5 will work just fine. You'll just have a bunch of DTCs and your speedo won't work, etc, etc..
Old 10-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Yeah i want everything to work lol. Now i just need to find the harness...not sure i want to invest $700+ into a full custom harness right now, especially being poor . Ok thanks for getting me going in the right direction

Last edited by Mike Davis; 10-07-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: content
Old 10-28-2010, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

I am wondering the same thing. On the harness issue talk to pocket he is a member on here and tgo.org. He is doing wiring harnesses for people for less than 700.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

OK, so you are looking for the same info that I am. Ok, so here goes. First off you will need a 168 tooth flywheel from a ls motor. If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg check orieley's they sell one for 61.00. I can get you the part # later if you want it. Then you will need an ls7 pilot bearing I don't have the part # for it yet but I will soon. Now I am going with the Spec brand clutch from Tick stage 1. Rated at 599lb/ft of torque. This clutch is under $300. so I am guessing under 400 for all this stuff and your driving your car. You will need to have your ecu re flashed as a manual. Hook up you reverse light wires to the reverse switch, and your park neutral wires to your clutch pedal. If you are adding bolt-on's you will have to have it tuned anyway if efi. Your tuner should be able to convert from auto to manual. Good Luck man this is all you need to know. I have done all this research myself since no one on here seemed to know when I asked the same question.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

Oh, and by the way I got most of this info from ross @ Quicktime. Very good guy, he gave me the whole run down on the swap.
Thanks Ross.

Quick Reply: T-5/5.3 combo.