Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Regrets? Considering A4 to M6 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Camaro is my daily and the 4L60E was dying when I got my car, but it was my first F-body and I didn't know any better. They trans lasted for 2 years of sporadic track use and street fun until I took it to Brother's Performance in FL for one of their Dyno Days. After that, I was thankful I even made it home. It was slipping the entire way. I decided that I didn't want to rebuild my 4l60E because my friends had been through so many of them and I didn't want to spend the coin for a 4l80E. So, after alot of research, patience and a little luck, I finally purchased my T-56 conversion from a guy on here.

I'm installing a Tick Performance stage II, tick master and slave, LS7 clutch and flywheel, pro 5.0 and a Lou's short stick. Before, I've had a consistent 2.0 60' and 12.8 1/4 mile times on the stock converter. I'm expecting with my mods to hit 11.7 on some sticky tires with alot of practice.

I'd like to try my hand at autocross and the t56 is much better suited for that than the 4l60e was. Plus, I can still take it to the drag track any time I want. I stopped worrying about going slower when I saw Tim Tosto's Camaro on Pinks. At the time, I believe it was the fastest t56 Camaro in the world.

vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlV-d...C731D12D4028B4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO3DD...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=680if...eature=related

Last edited by wornoutshoes; 03-20-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sold my old car because it was an auto. Got a t56 in this car and it's 10x more fun.

Six speed 4th gens = win.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

I did the swap myself 6 months ago after breaking the auto three times. It go way too expensive and annoying. It was really nice not having to worry about the rear end and it was cool being so consistent at the track, but nothing compares to driving a 400HP RWD car on the street with a manual.

Funny thing is, I had never even touched a manual transmission car before I did the swap. Everyone thought I was an idiot for putting a manual in when I had no idea how to drive it. Within 10 minutes I was getting around, within a day it wasn't completely embarrassing, and within a week it was smooth. I'll never go back.

Only advice about the swap is, buy a NEW slave, master (preferrably the tick or similar), and a new clutch (unless it's fairly new). I put a stock clutch behind a cammed, full exhaust car and it doesn't like to launch. Heh. I used all the stock stuff with 70K miles on it to save initial costs, and it worked for a while, the car drives great below 1/2 throttle, but if i beat on it, i smell a very distinct burning smell. Heh.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made a pretty big jump... I went from a 97 lt1 a4 to a 99 ls1 m6 and i LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS CAR!!! This is pretty much my first stick car and it is loads of fun. Ls1 bone stock has gobs of power over the lt1 (sorry lt1 guys) but the 6 speed + tcs turned off = feeling in complete controll of the car. I controll how hard it shifts, when it shifts, and what gear i whant to kill the tires in . Racing suddenly becomes 70% car and 100% driver with a M6.
My first time to the track in my new car got me 14.20's next run was 14.11 and they keep getting better b/c you have to KNOW THE CAR. You cant just roll into the pedal and just sit back and let it shift.
And yes the 10bolt becomes a big problem with a M6 but it is so worth it.
The one and only draw back to the M6 is the dumb f*** that put the cup holder behind the shifter. I use the crap out of the one on the pass side.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Default help

I have a Camaro SS ls1 auto that I crashed , and bought a original Trans am M6 roller, I want to use the motor from the SS but would I jus need a m6 for the swap or what else would I need to be able to use the motor from the SS but in my original m6 trans am..
Old 02-19-2016, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Not to derail the thread, but I'm actively looking for a way to do this swap. I know Hawks does kits for $2800(!!!) and I've seen them on eBay last year for $2300... but $2300 is already pushing it. I can't even find that price anywhere right now.

Does anybody know of a place other than Hawks that sells these kits?
Old 02-21-2016, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

here is my complete writeup for when i did the swap. No one really offers kits and hawks kit it way over priced imo. its pretty easy to find all the parts youll need. i wish somone would make my writeup a sticky seeing as it gets asked all the time here

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...e-writeup.html
Old 02-22-2016, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redbird555
here is my complete writeup for when i did the swap. No one really offers kits and hawks kit it way over priced imo. its pretty easy to find all the parts youll need. i wish somone would make my writeup a sticky seeing as it gets asked all the time here

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...e-writeup.html
Thanks man! I found some local ads on CL, one guy basically has tons of FBodies and can sell me everything minus the trans itself for 600. Then another guy has the trans for 800 (hoping I can talk him down without clutch/flywheel). Then I'll prob get a flywheel/clutch kit from Monster or something.

How long did it take you? What difficulty would you rate it? I have done only basic things to my cars (shocks and springs and exhaust work). No full conversions. I have a friend who did a lot of specialized stuff on his cars so he'd probably help some.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Parker, the answer is all personal preference.

I prefer the 6-speed for a number of reasons: more fun (to me) to drive on the street, it's great on the road course and I made sure the rest of my mods would compliment so it wouldn't be too much of a handful the next time I get caught in Atlanta traffic.

If that's what you're looking for, then yes, I would do the conversion.

If you're more interested in faster and more consistent drag strip times or the general convenience/comfort of driving an auto, then the 6-speed may not be for you.

As for the 10-bolt, there's no other way around it....it stinks. All that being said, I'm on my 2nd in 8 years and I have plenty of R-compound + track (road course) miles on the car. It's unsettling to constantly drive with a "weak link" in the drivetrain, however it hasn't been so much of a problem that the car is constantly in the shop. Just avoid the big clutch dumps with sticky tires.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a reason it's more pricey to get a clean m6 vs a clean a4. At least that's my experience. I wouldn't buy an a4 4th gen ever again.

Quick Reply: Regrets? Considering A4 to M6 swap