Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Time for a new clutch, would like some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a new clutch, would like some advice.

Hey guys, my stocker is starting to go out (75k on it). Time to upgrade. What would you guys recommend? I was thinking of going with the CenterForce DFX, but I'm not sure. Give me your recommendations!

Also, what other components should I replace while I'm at it? Is the stock flywheel fine (I'll have it resurfaced)? Just wondering about parts such as throw-out and pilot bearings, master/slave cylinders, fork, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

it all depends on your budget, power level, and how you plan to drive the car.....do you drag race, autocross, or daily drive, etc.......tell us more about your car, your current mods, future mods and how you drive it, and i'm sure one of the sponsors will chime in
Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

It's a 2000 WS6 M6 with 75k on the ticker. Mods include:

-Dynomax O/R Y
-SLP LM1 Catback
-LS6 Intake Manifold
-BMR Panhard Rod
-BMR LCAs
-LG Motorsports Strut Tower Brace
-Bilstein Shocks/Struts
-Eibach Sportline Springs
-Suncoast Raptor Hood with true Ram Air and Heat Extractors

And a bunch of other cosmetic mods that don't come into play here. It's my DD, but it does see some time at the strip, and I'm hoping to have it blown by this summer with a Magnacharger. No LTs or Cams, since I live in CA (the blower will still pass emissions). So I'd definitely like a strong clutch, nothing extreme though. I plan to be running around 7-8lbs of boost. I don't mind a stiff clutch, as I had a Spec Stage 2 in my previous 2000 Mustang GT, and that thing was a calf workout.

Hope that provides a little clarity.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

for any aftermarket clutch you'll get 50 positive and 50 negative reviews, I couldn't decide so I bought a cheap stock replacement and it ended up ripping itself apart in under 5k miles

now I'm running a Diamond Stage 2 in my car and would highly recommend that brand. it's just about the only aftermarket clutch you won't hear of chattering, slipping, having springs fly off, etc. contact TDP or check out diamondclutch.com for pricing. you can resurface your stock flywheel or go with a lightweight one if you want it to rev up quicker, but they can be trickier to drive depending on how light it is

with 75k miles on everything go ahead and replace the master and slave. the slave should come with a new throwout bearing and the clutch kit includes a new pilot bearing. and with a 98-02 car you don't have a clutch fork.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Never heard of diamond clutches. Was just browsing the site, and they have a nice stage 2 kit for around $760. Just doesn't include the master cylinder.

Right now I'm looking at the Ram Powergrip HD clutch kit, with the Ram slave and adjustable master cylinder. Was just planning on resurfacing the stock fly.

All of that comes out to $742 on ws6store.com.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i've read several good things about diamond......alot of folks swear you can't hurt a Monster clutch and their Level 3 or 4 with a lightweight flywheel will probably be the next one I buy.....at 85k miles, i went with a Spec 2+, seems they get mixed reviews although mine has been excellent for 6,000 miles, pedal feels like stock, no chatter....look into upgrading to an aftermarket adjustable clutch master cylinder, they are literally worth every penny...... like creeper said, a new slave and pilot bearing are a good idea, as well as a remote bleeder line.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. Going with the Centerforce DFX, along with the RAM slave/master components. Going with the Centerforce Steel flywheel also. **** it.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd look into a Tick Master before any other master....too many good reviews to say no IMO.

Also, you should check out the "Manual Transmission" forum, there's a ton of threads just like this that keep on getting posted....
Old 02-22-2011, 08:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LS7 or a Monster Clutch. Don't even look at anything else. I have a ls7, love it and was cheap. If this ever goes, (which it might with nitrous sooner or later) I'll probably step into a monster clutch.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at the LS7 setup, I've had two on two different cars with no complaints

Quick Reply: Time for a new clutch, would like some advice.