Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What fluid are you running in your T-56 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using Mobil 1 ATF since I got my six speeds inc beefed up trans. I have some Torco ATF so I think I'll be switching to that this year.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many opinions on what fluid to use...ATF, synthetic ATF, Synchromesh, ect. Tremec specs ATF, so I run Mobil 1 Synthetic.

The critical thing is to NOT USE Dexron VI. The new Dexron VI works great in any GM automatic, but it is not compatible with the blocker rings in the T56. GM changed the name of their brand of Dex III to "Manual trans fluid" to refect this change.

Whoever said you can no longer get Dexron III, incorrect. You can get it anywhere, its either going to say Dex III right on the bottle or it may be called "automatic trans fluid". Either way, as long as it doesn't say Dexron VI, its fine to use in the T56.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Got my t-56 upgraded to Tick level 2 last fall, while it was being built I called Tremec directly, at that point in time they had just certified the use of mobil 1 atf in the t-56 along with dexron 3, these are the only two fluids certified by Tremec for use in these transmission's
Old 04-08-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Royal purple Synchromesh. Since birth (2006. T56 Rebuilds 4B.)
Old 04-09-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
There are many opinions on what fluid to use...ATF, synthetic ATF, Synchromesh, ect. Tremec specs ATF, so I run Mobil 1 Synthetic.

The critical thing is to NOT USE Dexron VI. The new Dexron VI works great in any GM automatic, but it is not compatible with the blocker rings in the T56. GM changed the name of their brand of Dex III to "Manual trans fluid" to refect this change.

Whoever said you can no longer get Dexron III, incorrect. You can get it anywhere, its either going to say Dex III right on the bottle or it may be called "automatic trans fluid". Either way, as long as it doesn't say Dexron VI, its fine to use in the T56.

THIS!!

GM screwed up when they said Dex VI was backwards compatible with Dex III

It is, but only for Auto transmissions, NOT manual transmissions that require automatic transmission fluid

That being said, I've tried many fluids over the years and nothing was better than the original GM Dex III

Synthetic shifted much smoother when cold, but I got gear clash at high RPM shifts

It was just way too slick for the synchros....

Went back to conventional GM Dex III and although it was very notchy when cold, it shifted much smoother at high RPMS (after I slowly brought her up to operating temp of course)
Old 04-09-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER
THIS!!

It is, but only for Auto transmissions, NOT manual transmissions that require automatic transmission fluid

That being said, I've tried many fluids over the years and nothing was better than the original GM Dex III

Synthetic shifted much smoother when cold, but I got gear clash at high RPM shifts

Went back to conventional GM Dex III and although it was very notchy when cold, it shifted much smoother at high RPMS (after I slowly brought her up to operating temp of course)
Mobil 1 ATF will fix your problem ^^, but u happy with gm dex 3, that cool too, how much a quart ?
Mobil 1 ATF
Old 04-09-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by killagt
Mobil 1 ATF will fix your problem ^^, but u happy with gm dex 3, that cool too, how much a quart ?
Mobil 1 ATF

Mobil 1 was actually the second synthetic I tried (after Redline)

It pretty much gave me the same results (smooth cold shifting, grinding during flat foot shifts)

That being said, my car was a 98 with the old paper lined blocker rings....
Old 04-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

My results with Mobil 1 ATF were the opposite. In very cold weather, the first few 1-2 shifts were extra notchy/grindy. Going back to good ol' Dex III solved it. Nothing but Dex III for me from now on.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

Mobil1 was fine but felt a little like I was rowing in water making it notchy
Old 04-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Default GM ATF DEX 3 only

I used to work for gm at chevy dealer for over 15 years and the reason gm saids to use atf is due to the bearings and their specs, oil is to thick and cause them to overheat. same with anything else other than ATF dex 3. GM uses atf due to tigher end play and better cooling. this is what all the shop manuals tell you. but its your car and your money so put what ever you want in it, just my opinion.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Royal Purple ATF since rebuild. about 10k on it, no complaints.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by skypuppy99
I used to work for gm at chevy dealer for over 15 years and the reason gm saids to use atf is due to the bearings and their specs, oil is to thick and cause them to overheat. same with anything else other than ATF dex 3. GM uses atf due to tigher end play and better cooling. this is what all the shop manuals tell you. but its your car and your money so put what ever you want in it, just my opinion.
Agreed.

The trans is set up for ATF, which is a low-viscosity fluid. Gear oil and synchromesh are very viscous, which makes them more resistant to flow, especially when cold.

With this in mind, the tolerances, endplay, and clearances are all set up for ATF, not a 75W or greater.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Please forgive the ignorance (I'm learning here) -- I presume the clutch fluid resevoir should be filled with a DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid? If you were bleeding with a Mityvac would you suck out the old stuff and just fill with DOT 3/4? Where do you add the Dex III fluid for the tranny?
Old 08-07-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

THIS!!

OK, so how do I know what GM put in the T56 (2007 CTS-V)? I mean, there is a sticker on the transmission that states use Dexron III only (the orange one that is common), but yet the owner's manual specifically calls out Dexron VI. If they are not to be mixed, how do I know what to put then?

Also, didn't they revise the transmissions slightly in '06, so perhaps the VI is correct?

Is there any concrete evidence that VI does not work properly in a newer T56 (not an LT1 or F-body)? Curious why they specified the VI and not that GM manual trans fluid or Dexron III, etc. (yet, left the III sticker on the transmission)?

I was planning on doing the fluid today, but now I'm not so sure if that's a good idea until I find out 100% that the owner's manual recommendation is incorrect, or what GM put in the transmission (if incompatible).
Old 08-07-2011, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Redline D4 here. I've tried a few others over the years and always went back to this. Shifts smooth all the way to 7,000 rpms.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by adrynalinjunkie
I put some Dex IV Valvoline ATF in my old worn T-56 last year and it shifted so crappy I drained it after a few miles and switched to Pennsoil syncromesh which had such great reviews on here a year ago. I really liked the sycromesh allot better than the regular ATF Dex IV (since you can't get Dex III anymore)

Now I just got a stage 2 built T-56 from Jason in Texas and he as well as everyone on here is now recommending regular ATF again.

I may try to get some amzoil ATF but I am sure I will have to order it online since we don't have any stocking dealers.

Anyway what fluid have you had the best luck with? There are NO wrong answerers here just curious what works for YOU.
i just got some dex 3 in houston
Old 08-19-2011, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

I've used the Redline D4 ATf also with no issues, I had to remove the tranny and lost a good bit of fluid while doing so, I just drained the rest out and refilled with the Mobile 1 ATF, I've had a buddy use it in another vehicle with no issues, plus its more available at auto parts stores around here.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Dex VI is fine for a T56

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02

THIS!!

Has anyone read this link on the Dex VI? I am running the Dex VI in my 2006 GTO T56 and I havent had any problems, now this is my first and only car I have driven with a T56 so I have nothing to compare it to, apparently the bulletin talks about 2006 and newer T56's being filled with Dex VI from the factory, it talks about this on the last paragraph of page 1. Well now we have a whole new can of worms to play with. Good Luck with whatever you prefer to use.

http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/pdf/t56-06.pdf
Old 08-20-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^Yeah, it seems that it depends on the year/model (car), as the Dexron III is for the older units and around 2006 they changed something and started using Dexron VI, although still put the Dexron III sticker on the transmission...There is another thread in the CTS-V section that aurora40 (sp?) linked a GM PDF, iirc that confirmed this. Too lazy to search right now

Quick Reply: What fluid are you running in your T-56 ?