Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Indexing a Scattershield

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Indexing a Scattershield

Well, I have had a Quick Time Scattershield for some time now and I just rebuilt my T-56 (different thread) and installed a new RAM 9.5 Aluminum flywheel dual disk. Rated at 800ft lbs and only around $950.00 a great deal this is an awesome clutch, even now right out of the box it was a nice pedal feel not on/off.
Anyway back to the story:
So, the instructions talked about indexing aftermarket bellhousings. I never did that before and it was a new idea concept to me. So, I searched here and there and most people are like oh, you can't get the offset pins for a LS motor or you don't need to do it with Quick Times scattershield etc etc. Well, let me tell you BULLSHIT!
I stuck a dial indicator on the shield and it was so bad I couldn't tell which way to move it.

Luckily my tranny was apart so I mounted the tranny front plate to the scattershield and indexed off the input bearing race support.
Now the readings made sense.

Well, I was able to determine that I was like .022 off center. Thats an awful lot more than the .005 the spec calls for, so I ordered offset extra long pins. They only come in .007 increments so I need .014 as you need half of your total runout.

They came in and what a nightmare it is to find exactly where they need to go, it seems straight forward but I spend half the day spinning them around and remeasuring. It all finally came out and I was able to get just to the allowable spec. .010 total or .005 +/-

Look carefully at the final numbers on the scattershield, thats why I couldn't index off it is egg-shaped.

final note: I will always index my bellhousings/scattershields The amount it was off surely would have ruined something, clutch tranny etc.
ed
Old 07-08-2011, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Hmm this is interesting. I didnt measure a damn thing if my quicktime bellhousing lol.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I had to index my Quicktime Bell. The bell was sending my tranny into the pilot bearing so crooked that the input shaft was rubbing the inner bore of the slave cylinder. Solution was to install some moroso adjustable .007'' offset dowel pins to get me to .002'' misalignment. Total pain because I had to R&I trans a few times, and running the engine with a crooked input shaft for a few minutes bent my brand new disc, but protection is worth it i guess. Always measure to be safe...
Old 07-08-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry for the question, but when and why is this required? What causes the warping?
Old 07-09-2011, 01:02 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
Sorry for the question, but when and why is this required? What causes the warping?
The input shaft should ideally index dead centre of the crankshaft when all parts are bolted up.

When installing an aftermarket scattershield, measuring is what needs done to assure the amount of runout (distance the input mis-matches crank center) is not excessive.

In the above well documented example, he installed offset pins in the block to re-align the QT so the runout was within spec.

Tedious, but necessary and straightforward work.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Where did you get the offset pins? I got a pair from Moroso but didn't end up using them. Couldn't really find anyone else selling any at the time.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

summit racing
Old 07-09-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

uh-oh.. didn't know about this when I installed my QT bellhousing..
Old 07-10-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Default Me neither

If it wasn't for the outstanding instructions that came with my RAM 9.5 inch twin I never would have know either.

Ed

PS that clutch is sooo streetable I love it.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

what were you measuring? from what to what? How could you do this if your trans wasn't apart? I put mine in and had no issues, but never measured either. But trans slid in perfect, sguare to bellhousing with no problems. But I need to pull trans back out again this winter, so I would like to measure it then. Thanks

Ryan
Old 07-10-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Normally you only measure the bellhousing only. I had to measure the transmission front plate because the scattershield opening was egg shaped. Hopefully you won't.
You put a dial indicator on your crank flange or flywheel. I made a bolt on bracket because I already had the flywheel bolted on and it was aluminum and the dial indicator magnetic base won't stick. So anyway you mount the dial indicator to you crank and have it read off the bellhousing opening. You then rotate the crank and measure the total runout. You divide that half and the is the pin offset you need. You only need to worry if its over +/- .005.
You then need to install the pin so the opening is in the middle, ie equal runout on both side.
Ed
Old 07-10-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

If you do this without the front plate of the trans, arent you only guaranteeing that the opening of the bellhousing is right? There is no way to tell if the opening is cut right or holes drilled in the correct place, right? It seems like there would be a better way to do it. So I would need to remove my clutch to measure for this? Thanks

Ryan
Old 07-10-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, your absolutely correct. You would only be measuring the bellhousing/scattershield cut opening. That is what is normally done. I only went farther because the bellhousing was egg shaped and I couldn't make heads or tails of what I had. Yes, clutch off flywheel either on or off.
Ed
Old 03-17-2015, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Ok - I measured the bellhousing alignment. I used a JEGS dial indicator. Most dial indicators go to 100. This one goes to 50. I measure 16 on the indicator. Does that mean the alignment is off by .016 inches? Also, which dowel pins do I buy?

Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah that should be .016. I found these dowel pins from a youtube video on indexing a bellhousing. http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/dowels.html

I've never used them, but they look nice! Much easier than drilling the block.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:13 AM
Teching In

Thanks - I see it now. On the gauge, it shows that each mark equals .0005 inches. There are 31 marks until 16 on the guage.
31x.0005=.0155 inches

.007 offset dowel pins are in my future
Old 09-09-2015, 08:29 AM
Teching In

I think I finally have the quicktime bellhousing aligned within the .005 specs. For the longest time, I couldn't get the bellhousing to move to the right with the offset dowel pins. Then I noticed that the right bolt touches the bellhousing. I removed that bolt, and measure again. That made the difference, but I'm surprised that was the problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

Quick Reply: Indexing a Scattershield