Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

lightweight flywheel benefits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did alot of research before choosing my 18# flywheel, and a light weight one wont slow you down at the drag strip but it might make you less consistent, because to make up for the lower rotating mass you have to increase your rpm to keep from bogging when you launch. The higher rpm means if you don't hook up you'll spin your tires more. But if you can consistently hook up I would expect slightly better times. My car will always be a street car first and a drag car second so I don't really care if it's harder to launch I'd rather have the increased acceleration on the street.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys with the monsters with 18lb option probably will notice absolutely no difference as it's only 6lbs~ lighter than stock on the fw, but the clutch and pp have some more weight. If I didn't notice my 14lb'er, I doubt you will notice a diff.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VincesSS
You guys with the monsters with 18lb option probably will notice absolutely no difference as it's only 6lbs~ lighter than stock on the fw, but the clutch and pp have some more weight. If I didn't notice my 14lb'er, I doubt you will notice a diff.
I really can't tell any difference at all.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an Australian 'Extreme' 6 puk clutch with a Chromoly 15lb Flywheel..Throttle was way more rev responsive, I didn't have any trouble with how it worked. The engine needed to be revved anyway on take off to stop any clutch shudder.
On the street, road racing or Drags it was sweet as.

Last edited by ls1 1990 VN; 03-12-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a big cam will also idle alot smoother with a heavier flywheel
Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use to have a Fidanza 12.5lb aluminum flywheel and thought it was "so amazing." I thought all I had to do was through a few more R's to get it going. Then I went to a bigger heads and cam setup and the car got alittle harder to get moving. I grew to hate my light weight flywheel especially at the track. I had to bounce the revlimiter to get the car to some what 60ft. It may seem drastic but swapping out to a 25lb flywheel dropped my 60ft's a full tenth and a half. My MPH went up because I wasn't bogging like I was with the light weight flywheel.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
I use to have a Fidanza 12.5lb aluminum flywheel and thought it was "so amazing." I thought all I had to do was through a few more R's to get it going. Then I went to a bigger heads and cam setup and the car got alittle harder to get moving. I grew to hate my light weight flywheel especially at the track. I had to bounce the revlimiter to get the car to some what 60ft. It may seem drastic but swapping out to a 25lb flywheel dropped my 60ft's a full tenth and a half. My MPH went up because I wasn't bogging like I was with the light weight flywheel.
Good info.

What rear gear ratio were you running with how big of a cam? Those factors might exaggerate the issue or hide it I bet.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

TTT There is some good info here. What I noticed is most guys dont even know the weight of the P/P! They only know the weight of the flywheel. So if you use a heavy LS7 P/P and a light flywheel you might be the same as stock!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've got a monster level 2 with the 18lbs flywheel...its a nice unit. i autox and do some lapping events regularly...my car has close to stock power...for now. As far as acceleration goes, the difference is hardly noticeable...it's slightly more responsive but nothing to write home about...

Once i do heads and cam...I'll go back to a stock weight flywheel.

Quick Reply: lightweight flywheel benefits?