Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Something definitely broke, but what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Something definitely broke, but what?

After a day of spirited driving, my car completely locked up while driving home as if I slammed on the breaks. I was able to limp a few miles until the gears started to grind, I couldn't get in some gears at all, and it started violently locking up again, at which point I decided to get it towed home. The car starts, but definitely doesn't drive. It goes into all gears while the car is off, but not when driving. Help a noob out guys, what did I break?

Also, the car managed to pop itself into first gear when we started rolling it, causing the car to start itself.

Last edited by FUH Q; 03-12-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Banned

Sounds like you possibly ran it low on fluid completely trashing the unit.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Fluid was/still is fine. You think the trans is definitely in need of a rebuild though?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Locking up, if thats what it truely did, is a sign of bearing distress...yep you'll be tearing in down.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FUH Q
After a day of spirited driving, my car completely locked up while driving home as if I slammed on the breaks. I was able to limp a few miles until the gears started to grind, I couldn't get in some gears at all, and it started violently locking up again, at which point I decided to get it towed home. The car starts, but definitely doesn't drive. It goes into all gears while the car is off, but not when driving. Help a noob out guys, what did I break?

Also, the car managed to pop itself into first gear when we started rolling it, causing the car to start itself.
Definitely sounds like a trans issue. As mentioned above, either bearing distress or some broken teeth on the drive or driven gears that have lodged themselves between other teeth. If that is the case you may be looking at an expensive rebuild. Check out our rebuilds on the link below, we can definitely get that trans back on the road for ya!!

http://www.tickperformance.com/1993-...camaro-trans-am/
Old 03-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Tick performance will take care of you for sure!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FUH Q
Fluid was/still is fine. You think the trans is definitely in need of a rebuild though?
Yes sir. You'll need to either have someone look at it or replace it with another unit. The T56 doesn't usually lock up like that unless it was ran without oil but that doesn't mean it can't happen.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Sounds like you broke a shift fork to me I had the same thing happen it could get expensive. If the gears were grinding you probably tore something else up when or if it broke could be Half away in a gear and when you go to another gear it's still in that one. While At the same time you can't get it in the one it's broke because your shift fork is gone.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Teching In

And yes mine locked up completely not allowing the car to move. I rebuilt mine but I have the pullers and the know how.

Quick Reply: Something definitely broke, but what?