Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New clutch, slave, master, won't go forward

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch, slave, master, won't go forward

So, I spent about 9 hours yesterday getting my transmission back from the shop from being upgraded. While I was waiting for it to get finished being worked on, I bought a ton of new parts - new slave, tick adjustable master, Quicktime scattershield rm-8020, new diamond stage 3 clutch, new pilot bearing, and a new MGW shifter. Basically a rebuild. Well, I got everything put in last night, clutch bled, master adjusted, etc and it has some issues. First off, it will move just fine when I put the car in reverse. I slip the clutch some and the car starts moving backwards. Now, if I want to get the car to go forward, we have issues. The car will simply NOT go forward at all. In any gear, 1st - 6th. If I put the car in first gear, and try and slip the clutch to get the car going, it will just die. No movement, whatsoever of the car, to indicate that it even WANTS to move forward. The car just wants to die, so the clutch is obviously disconnected(ing?) when I press the clutch in. I just don't know if the clutch is disconnecting FULLY. I bled the clutch until my hands were raw from dot3 brake fluid and a steady, even stream was coming out. The clutch DOES release really close from the ground though, almost as if the pedal needs to come closer to the driver, for it to fully release. That is something I am going to check. The only other thing that may be a bit weird, is that I filled the tranny through the shifter hole. I was in a hurry, and I don't know if filling it through there prevents the fluid from getting into the main case, but maybe that is a cause of why it won't go into any forward gears, and only work in reverse? Also, another symptom, is that when I have the shifter/transmission in the neutral position, and I let the clutch out from being pressed in, the car wants to die. It shouldn't, which indicates that the clutch is dragging, correct?

Can someone lead me in the right direction here? I really, really, really hope I don't have to drop that thing again. I hope it's just a hydraulic issue. Why won't my car go forward in any forward gear, but work in reverse?

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdreex
So, I spent about 9 hours yesterday getting my transmission back from the shop from being upgraded. While I was waiting for it to get finished being worked on, I bought a ton of new parts - new slave, tick adjustable master, Quicktime scattershield rm-8020, new diamond stage 3 clutch, new pilot bearing, and a new MGW shifter. Basically a rebuild. Well, I got everything put in last night, clutch bled, master adjusted, etc and it has some issues. First off, it will move just fine when I put the car in reverse. I slip the clutch some and the car starts moving backwards. Now, if I want to get the car to go forward, we have issues. The car will simply NOT go forward at all. In any gear, 1st - 6th. If I put the car in first gear, and try and slip the clutch to get the car going, it will just die. No movement, whatsoever of the car, to indicate that it even WANTS to move forward. The car just wants to die, so the clutch is obviously disconnected(ing?) when I press the clutch in. I just don't know if the clutch is disconnecting FULLY. I bled the clutch until my hands were raw from dot3 brake fluid and a steady, even stream was coming out. The clutch DOES release really close from the ground though, almost as if the pedal needs to come closer to the driver, for it to fully release. That is something I am going to check. The only other thing that may be a bit weird, is that I filled the tranny through the shifter hole. I was in a hurry, and I don't know if filling it through there prevents the fluid from getting into the main case, but maybe that is a cause of why it won't go into any forward gears, and only work in reverse? Also, another symptom, is that when I have the shifter/transmission in the neutral position, and I let the clutch out from being pressed in, the car wants to die. It shouldn't, which indicates that the clutch is dragging, correct?

Can someone lead me in the right direction here? I really, really, really hope I don't have to drop that thing again. I hope it's just a hydraulic issue. Why won't my car go forward in any forward gear, but work in reverse?

Thanks for any help.
Doesnt sound like it is a hydraulic issue. Did you check clearance to see if you needed a shim for the slave? And the adjustment rod on our master will allow the engagement point to come closer to you slightly. Clutch pedal should be about the same height maybe a few centimeters lower than the brake pedal. Start by adjusting your pedal, and pull your fill plug off the trans and stick your finger in to see if you can feel the fluid. If neither of those seem to work your probably going to have to drop the trans and measure for the use of a shim.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chris@Tick
Doesnt sound like it is a hydraulic issue. Did you check clearance to see if you needed a shim for the slave? And the adjustment rod on our master will allow the engagement point to come closer to you slightly. Clutch pedal should be about the same height maybe a few centimeters lower than the brake pedal. Start by adjusting your pedal, and pull your fill plug off the trans and stick your finger in to see if you can feel the fluid. If neither of those seem to work your probably going to have to drop the trans and measure for the use of a shim.
Yes, I was given two shims that gave me .180" of spacing from the trans shop that I bought the flywheel from. The flywheel was surfaced and some material was taken off, and the shims were properly sized to accommodate it. I was wondering if I filled the tranny through the shifter hole, if the fluid would ever make its way down to the main casing. Should I jack the car up from the rear and lift it up, to maybe allow trapped gear fluid inside the tailhousing to drain farther through? Not sure about drain holes inside the tranny, maybe someone else might know.

Also, I have another question - when I was putting my clutch in, there was only one way that the hub on the actual clutch would fit against the flywheel/pressure plate, because if I had the hub pointed towards the flywheel/flywheel bolts, they would both come into contact when everything was put back together. So, I put the hub facing towards the transmission. When I say hub, I mean the portion of the clutch disk itself that sticks out in the middle. That portion is facing towards the trans.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Seems like the plan of action is to check the master for the right adjustment of the pedal, bleed the clutch, then if that doesn't work....drop the transmission and measure/check the shims needed for the slave. I was given a .180" and told that it was what I needed with the clutch/flywheel/everything I bought, but you know how that goes. I just find it super odd that my car will not go forward when put in first gear. It just lets the clutch slip a tiny bit, reaches the point where the car is supposed to go forward, but doesn't, and instead just dies with no car movement whatsoever. No jerkiness or moving whatsoever. I am not entirely sure the shim would be the cause for that, I don't see how that would prevent the car from moving when it is actually in gear already. It should only affect engagement, correct?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

So, I just took out my shifter, re-bled the slave/master, and tried it again. Clutch pedal feels better, but the car now moves backwards if the shifter is in the neutral position, and I let the clutch out. neutral, release the clutch and my car moves fuc*ing backwards. What the f*ck. I double checked ALL my solenoids, none are plugged in the wrong spot. Reverse solenoid wouldn't cause this. Also, my skip shift solenoid has the skip shift eliminator in it. That one shouldn't even cause this. The other sensors on the tranny are the speed sensor and the reverse lights. WTF. I am so at a loss right now I don't even know where to start. It has ZERO problems getting the car to get into a gear. Letting the clutch out is where this **** breaks. Putting it in first gear, and letting the clutch out, the car won't move, bogs down (because the clutch/pressure plate are rubbing against eachother, indicating that my hydraulics are just fine) and will die if I let it go down farther. It feels like my 4-speed Super T10 that I have in my Nova - sometimes if I hit reverse, and then another gear, reverse wouldn't fully disengage and when I put it into another gear, it locks up the whole transmission. Does this seem the case??? I have no clue WTF is going on. Any help or guidance is appreciated, this car is my daily driver and has been sitting for a month now getting bulls*it repairs done to it that shouldn't have even happened in the first place. I need this car back.

Last edited by mrdreex; 04-04-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like something went fubar in the rebuild.... like some linkages internally werent connected???? i dunno i havnt taken apart a manual trans yet so i wont pretend to know whats wrong, but it sounds like an internal problem in the trans. hydraulics do not determine the direction of travel and if it were a hydraulic problem it wouldnt want to go into gear very nicely.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

call the shop that did the rebuild and tell them about your problems. If you have a diamond clutch call jason up at TDP and ask him, he could probably tell you how to rebuild it with your eyes closed
Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Took tranny back and it ended up missing a snap ring holding the shift fork to the slider. It was stuck in reverse with no way of getting out. It is fixed now, TDP handled it greatly.

Quick Reply: New clutch, slave, master, won't go forward