Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hard to get in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hard to get in reverse

Why is is harder (it grinds) to get in reverse after driving the car around and warm? Cold, it slips right in. It is a TKO600 hydralic clutch, twin McLeod clutch. Thanks
Old 04-19-2012, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine wouldnt go into first or reverse. i replaced the clutch and it worked... i was positive it wasnt the clutch bc it only had 5 or 6 k miles on the cluth, but evidently it was the clutch. i had to put it in reverse and hold it there and then crank the car just to back out of the driveway. long story short, i replaced the clutch pretty quick and minimized the damage to my trans... id take a long look at the clutch before doing anything else. just my two cents...

Last edited by Todd Neyman; 04-19-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my clutch has less than 1k miles. isn't it odd that its only after being warm and driving around?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:46 PM

mine would upshift fine untill warm as well. but once i got it up to temp it would get hard to slip into gear. maybe the clutch isnt adjusted correctly? i remember thinking the same thing you are though, " no way it could be my clutch, i jsut replaced it" but it was...
Old 04-19-2012, 06:47 PM

how much HP/TQ you running?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by guppymech
Reverse is not synchronized. If the clutch does not fully disengage you will notice it when trying to engage reverse. The synchronizers in the forward gears will mask the clutch dragging but they will be working harder and wear more if you keep driving the car like this.
How do you synchronize it? Sorry, rookie with manual trans. Or do I look for a professional?
Old 04-19-2012, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Google manual transmission synchronizer. All manual transmissions since the late '50s on have had synchronizers to match the gear speeds inside the trans of the gear you are in to the gear you are trying to shift into. When you shift you are actually moving a sliding ring between two gears on a shaft. These sliding rings have a friction material on them that mates with the gear to speed up or slow down the gear so that little dog teeth on the ring engage a matching ring on the next gear without skipping over each other (grinding).
Reverse does not have a synchronizer to change the gear speed it relies on the clutch disengaging all the way to stop the gears from moving in the transmission so the reverse shift can be made without grinding.

I may have some details wrong but this is the general idea. Typically clutch disengagement issues show up with reverse grinding.

Last edited by guppymech; 04-19-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wait, so are you saying that the clutch is not fully disengaging and that's the problem? I did not have this issue until I installed the new clutch and shifter mechanism. I did adjust the pedal but you can't adjust a hydralic right? Th transmission did sit out of the car for a couple of years, should I change or add fluid?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by edge04
Wait, so are you saying that the clutch is not fully disengaging and that's the problem?
Yes, that is what I'm saying. I have a LT1 and it has a completely different hydraulic setup than a LS1 so I'm afraid I'm not of much help in what you need to do. I do see alot of LS1 owners getting adjustable clutch master cylinders though.

Also the reason your trans does not grind when it is cold is that the trans fluid is viscous enough to stop the gears in the trans from rotating so you can select reverse without grinding. When the trans fluid is hot it is thinner and provides less drag on the gears so you get grinding.
I would suspect your clutch is just slightly dragging when it should be all the way disengaged. If it where dragging worse you would have grinding on the cold tranny also.
*Try moving your floor mat out from under the clutch pedal and see if it still does it.

Last edited by guppymech; 04-19-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I am going to start by changing the trans fuild as stated, it sat for a couple years out of the car. If that doesn't work, what should I do?

Quick Reply: Hard to get in reverse