Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Leaky Tailshaft R&R

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky Tailshaft R&R

Here's the problem, leaking tranny fluid where the driveshaft meets the back of the T56 tailshaft.

I called D&D just to see what they would say and they say the GM only sells the entire tailshaft unit, but says you have to remove the unit and press the bushing in at a shop. He says the usually dont sell it because something going oblong or something.

Anyways, is there anyone thats actually done this and can give me some pointers? I've searched and checked all the LS1 how-to pages I could find. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1_FC
Here's the problem, leaking tranny fluid where the driveshaft meets the back of the T56 tailshaft.

I called D&D just to see what they would say and they say the GM only sells the entire tailshaft unit, but says you have to remove the unit and press the bushing in at a shop. He says the usually dont sell it because something going oblong or something.

Anyways, is there anyone thats actually done this and can give me some pointers? I've searched and checked all the LS1 how-to pages I could find. Thanks.
Anyone??
Old 04-06-2004, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

So it's leaking where the driveshaft slides in to the tranny?

D&D sells the rubber seal that goes around the driveshaft. I know, because I have one from them sitting in a box in my garage.

Now, if you're talking about the surface that the driveshaft rides on, then that may be a different story altogether. I haven't ever replaced one of those on a T56, but I did replace it on my SuperT10 (my 79Z). Wasn't a big deal for that part.

If you overfill the tranny and go up a steep incline, the tranny will leak. A buddy of mine has a roll-back trailer, and his tranny leaked when he pulled his car up on it because of the angle.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
So it's leaking where the driveshaft slides in to the tranny?

D&D sells the rubber seal that goes around the driveshaft. I know, because I have one from them sitting in a box in my garage.

Now, if you're talking about the surface that the driveshaft rides on, then that may be a different story altogether. I haven't ever replaced one of those on a T56, but I did replace it on my SuperT10 (my 79Z). Wasn't a big deal for that part.

If you overfill the tranny and go up a steep incline, the tranny will leak. A buddy of mine has a roll-back trailer, and his tranny leaked when he pulled his car up on it because of the angle.
D&D seemed clueless when I talked to them, I had to go to my local GM dealer to get the seal. It's the one that goes around the driveshaft, correct, I've also heard there's a bushing after that, but the parts breakdown didnt show any. It seems almost impossible to get out because the splines are sticking out so far there's almost no way to get in there to pry it out. It's leaking all the time, not just on an angle.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:26 AM
Teching In

I'm going to start including pics of naked women in my posts to get more responses
Old 04-13-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, aside from the metal bearing-type thing that the driveshaft yoke rides on, the rubber seal that wraps around the driveshaft as it enters the trans - the only thing in there is a rubber bumper that goes between the driveshaft yoke and the first snap ring that holds in the VSS reluctor wheel. This rubber bumper does not show up on some T56 exploded view drawings. I don't know if it really acts as a seal, or as a cushion.

As for pics.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine is leaking also. Im wondering if the rubber seal will correct it? Anyone know the part # for it?
Old 04-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NastySSoo
Mine is leaking also. Im wondering if the rubber seal will correct it? Anyone know the part # for it?
Thanks, Camaroholic

I'll get it for you, I have the part sitting in the garage, it looks like a bitch to get this seal out with the trans full assembled because the splined shaft is in the way...arggg
Old 04-15-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any luck with that part # ? Thanks, Paul
Old 04-15-2004, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1_FC
Thanks, Camaroholic

I'll get it for you, I have the part sitting in the garage, it looks like a bitch to get this seal out with the trans full assembled because the splined shaft is in the way...arggg
I bought a rear transmission seal for like 3 bucks at autozone. That one is a standard lip seal. There is another part number for the t56 which has the seal plus that little protruding rubber shroud. I was quoted 30 bucks for that one. The old seal wasn't that bad to get out. the new 3 dollar seal worked fine. don't forget to put grease on the driveshaft yoke before you slip it into the new seal.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man, I think Ill replace both to be safe.

Quick Reply: Leaky Tailshaft R&R