Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster level 2 issue...Damn

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
This is a rare issue that stumped us completely.

I'm glad to hear the McLeod is working well in your setup, I sincerely apologize you had so many issues with our unit.

If there is anything else I can do just let me know.

I am glad too. Nothing really anything else you can do for me. But finding out the statement of "product guarantees" was far fetched at least in my case. I even sent the entire setup back to you and sat with no car for weeks. I had even even replaced with brand new master and salve, pilot and throwout to eliminate all possibilities and in the end the clutch still failed. All work was done at one of the best LS shops in the country. And was told both times was told "it must have been installed wrong".

I know that this was in your eyes a rare issue but still could have been handled differently. None the less being told that "unless the car is here, there is nothing we can do" which makes a boat load of sense since I live in New England and your shop is in Texas.

The only one that lost out on the situation was me. After I had whole kit shipped to you, I thought there was a glimmer of hope. I knew after calling and got "we dont see anything wrong, let me know what you want to do". I knew at that point I had two options, get a useless kit sent back to me or buy a new one. There was not a snowballs chance in hell I was buying a new kit after that experience.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Launching!

So in the end I was really never taken care of and Monster ended up with my money and my clutch.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks
I am glad too. Nothing really anything else you can do for me. But finding out the statement of "product guarantees" was far fetched at least in my case. I even sent the entire setup back to you and sat with no car for weeks. I had even even replaced with brand new master and salve, pilot and throwout to eliminate all possibilities and in the end the clutch still failed. All work was done at one of the best LS shops in the country. And was told both times was told "it must have been installed wrong".

I know that this was in your eyes a rare issue but still could have been handled differently. None the less being told that "unless the car is here, there is nothing we can do" which makes a boat load of sense since I live in New England and your shop is in Texas.

The only one that lost out on the situation was me. After I had whole kit shipped to you, I thought there was a glimmer of hope. I knew after calling and got "we dont see anything wrong, let me know what you want to do". I knew at that point I had two options, get a useless kit sent back to me or buy a new one. There was not a snowballs chance in hell I was buying a new kit after that experience.
Regardless of your opinions this is a rare situation. We've sold thousands of Level 2's without any issues what so ever. You sent your unit back to me and we found no issues with the clutch. There are certain tests you do for lift, release, and plate load - these are the things that make a clutch work or not. Nothing was found defective so that is what you were told. Given the clutch checked out and was found to be in good working order short of having the car here there isn't much I could do.

I apologize for the issues that you had and am glad your McLeod is working out for you.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Launching!

I know you have sold thousands and know thousands have had good results. I am just stating my bad "oipinion" which has every right to be stated as any good experience.

So if it wasnt the clutch and it wasnt the new GM, master, slave, throwout bearing and pilot bearing it must have been the entire car aound it, guess I should have replaced that as well.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks
I know you have sold thousands and know thousands have had good results. I am just stating my bad "oipinion" which has every right to be stated as any good experience.

So if it wasnt the clutch and it wasnt the new GM, master, slave, throwout bearing and pilot bearing it must have been the entire car aound it, guess I should have replaced that as well.
I think your missing my point and getting a little carried away with this.

We tested the clutch and it checked out, I can't tell you what else was wrong or off as I wasn't with the car during installation. You asked me to test the clutch as you guys thought it was defective, I did and it wasn't. I have no doubts about the installer as he's installed quite a few of my clutches.

I have no issue with you posting your results, I understand you're frustrated with the outcome. I'm merely saying that, as far as the information I had in front of me and what the tests from the clutch came out as, the clutch wasn't defective.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Still not happy that we were given the blame of this clutch not working multiple times. Problem was seen by wear ect. We take pride in our work and have never/ever had a issue with clutch install. We take our time and measure air gap on every setup, torque to spec every bolt in the correct pattern.

This clutch was faulty over/over. Would show it's head after some miles put on (just like the 4 faulty stage 3's we had over a year ago which was blamed on the pressure plates, we warrentied those for free)

In the end the OP has no clutch,no refund, and an empty wallet paying us to install a clutch 3 times. We took care of him as much as possible even though it had nothing to do with us but I still feel bad for him.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Still not happy that we were given the blame of this clutch not working multiple times. Problem was seen by wear ect. We take pride in our work and have never/ever had a issue with clutch install. We take our time and measure air gap on every setup, torque to spec every bolt in the correct pattern.

This clutch was faulty over/over. Would show it's head after some miles put on (just like the 4 faulty stage 3's we had over a year ago which was blamed on the pressure plates, we warrentied those for free)

In the end the OP has no clutch,no refund, and an empty wallet paying us to install a clutch 3 times. We took care of him as much as possible even though it had nothing to do with us but I still feel bad for him.
Don I have no doubts in your abilities.

I sent two discs and two pressure plates to you guys, both times the discs come back severely bent/warped/cracked. One defective clutch I could see, another from a completely separate batch of friction material tends to lead me elsewhere for the issue. I sent a pressure plate out there for warranty based off of your recommendation, that didn't fix the issue, we sent a disc and it became "destroyed" in less than 100 miles.

Something was wrong with the setup, two separate clutches don't just fail in the same way. My response to Roy saying there isn't much I can do without being there and that the things that were occurring just didn't make sense summed the situation up completely.

Do I think it was the clutches fault? No.

Do I think it was your fault? No.

Do I think there was something "off" about the car or other parts being used? Yes as that's the only other logical explanation.

Even if you completely hosed the install and forced the disc through without properly aligning the setup it would have failed immediately, not at one hundred miles. These things were showing issues after being in the car over a period of time. First time was ~1200 miles and the second time less than 100. If there is an installation issue you and I both know it's readily apparent immediately so that's out the window. Two separate clutches, both pressure plate and disc, both failing in the exact same way... that's not a defective clutch, that's something entirely different.

I understand completely that you and your customer's point of view is what it is, I'm asking you see things from my perspective. I sent out $300 worth of parts the first go round, paid for shipping on that and split the overnight charge the second go round with the customer. To say I didn't provide customer service in this situation, to me, is a bit unfair.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:16 AM
FormerVendor

And just to add to this -

Out of all the clutches we've sold, I've never had this situation occur.

All frustrations aside, if there was something wrong with the friction being used (as this occurred with two separate clutch discs/setups) it would stand to reason that there would have been numerous customers with the exact same issue and that is simply not the case.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For the record- never used the 2nd pressure plate. Was told it was a disk issue, so instead of the customer buying the pressure plate we used the old one and sent back the new one.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Actually it was 1 pressure plate and 1 disk and here is how it went down.

It was determined the pressure plate was faulty so a new one was sent by you with no shipping cost to me. While waiting for the new pressure plate, the slave, throwout and pilot were inspected and were in perfect condition which was no surprise as they were recently replaced with what came in the original kit.
-Kit was put back in and trans installed once pressure plate was recieved and immediately there was still the issue, it would not go into gear fresh off the lift.

That is when the trans was pulled out the second time and discovered the clutch disk was warped. Yes I paid for the disk and split the overnight with you this time. You refunded me the cost of the disk once you received the disk and inspected it, thank you. When then you stated "since the pressure plate was not the issue, someone needs to pay for the one I sent"

So... once we got the new disk. I purchased a new slave, new pilot and new throwout and a new master even though I was told the others were fine. I personally did not want to take the risk and wanted to eliminate any other possibility. So since being told someone was to pay for the pressure plate since now determined a disk issue, we installed the old pressure plate with the new disk and sent back the new one.

Then that was when it barely lasted 100 miles. I then had it towed to Don where he pulled the entire kit and shipped it to you at my cost.
You stated the disk was warped and cracked but you say there was nothing wrong with the kit when tested.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Wait, just so I'm getting this right, pp was determined faulty, reinstalled same clutch with new pp, now clutch was determined faulty, so you reinstalled a faulty pp with a new clutch?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Metallifan
Wait, just so I'm getting this right, pp was determined faulty, reinstalled same clutch with new pp, now clutch was determined faulty, so you reinstalled a faulty pp with a new clutch?
Somewhat correct. Pp was no longer determined faulty, it was the disk, that is why I was told someone would have to pay for the new pp that was sent.

There was an obvious issue somewhere. In my honest opinion, what should have been done, was when I sent the entire kit back, Monster should have sent an entirely new setup. The bit and piecing was not the way to do it. Due to this I was left with no vehicle for over a month.

Last edited by Scoobysnacks; 03-09-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

IMO, it's your (or your shop's) fault for installing that faulty pp. If it was determined faulty at any point, you shouldn't have touched it again. That's pretty obviously the problem if you had it reinstalled.

As far as the bit and piecing, I agree. Should've swapped the entire setup.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OP-I feel your pain and frustration!!! I've been through a few of these. I am in the market for a clutch for my 02 camaro with a 640hp 416 I use to RR. The LS7 clutch has served me well, but it's time has come.

As I read this I am of the opinion that Monster could have and should have done more to get your issue taken care of. I want a good clutch and more important I want to know that the company that makes it will take care of me if I have a problem. With what I've heard hear it appears you were not. At least the way I believe you should have been taken care of.

Thank you for the feedback on your expereince. It's invaluable to those of us deciding who to use/not use. How is the McLeod clutch working for you?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Damn I just bought a Monster Stage 1 two weeks ago which I am still waiting on due to Monster waiting on their pressure plate bolts. I felt pretty damn good about my purchase till now. The supposed excellent customer service and warranty was the reason I decided to go with them, but I can't say I'm not a bit concerned after reading this thread. I sure hope I get taken care of should something happen, would hate to be screwed over like this.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Lol @ the people worried. No other clutch let alone any company has ever had any issues with anything, eh?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The point is, the OP gave Monster several opportunities to make things right and they didn't and he was the one that paid the price. Not the kind of expereince I want to have when purchasing a product.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:45 AM
Staging Lane

So I understand scooby not wanting a junk clutch back, and part of the clutch he purchased was at fault for the issue... It's a rare unheard of issue, but it happened. If I were a company owner of a product, and had this type of issue, and it's all legit and not some bs shop screwing up the install... Then scooby's junk clutch would at the very least be replaced... The entire thing. I am amazed that monster is still sitting on your money and your parts.

They could be the hero in about 5 shipping days if a whole new setup showed up in the brown truck, or a refund in the mail...

It's not like there was no issue what so ever with the parts, and it's not like some back yard hill billy installed it with hammers and a tow truck.

Send the guy a new clutch, or refund and suck it up. It's not too late...
Old 03-11-2013, 06:06 AM
TECH Resident

^They like to blame everything but there clutches. OP had all work done by a reputable shop and is now fine with another company's clutch, same hydraulics etc. Clutch still isn't the issue according to Monster.. Ive had 2 friends have problems with there Monsters. One a 500hp 418 and the other a 460hp LS1. Both well under Stage 3 rating but both tore up 2 Stage 3s. Both went with Mcleods and are happy now. Monster blamed one of there trans after a PP and disk was replaced first time. Trans was rebuilt when second clutch went and was found with in spec.. both times for him springs in disk broke/shattered.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Launching!

This may have been something that doesnt happen very often. It is definitely confusing to the outside on how thinks went down as far as how thinks went down between my shop and Monster with test instructions given. Hopefully this makes a little more sense.

Test instruction form Monster when the original kit first came out to my shop was:
"Bolt the clutch and pp to the flywheel and use a bearing press and the clutch should release around .25" (if I remember correctly) and the clutch did not release until .45"." The result was sent to Steve so he said "I am sending you a pp". That is the word form the manufacturerer, so the thought was "case closed". And who wouldnt?

The disk was not even part of the equation at this point until they recieved the pp car was put back together and didnt go into gear immediately after first start. That is when other possibilities were investigated finding the clutch was warped.

When the new disk showed up, Don did the same bench test just to be sure when the new disk was recieved. He used the original pp and the clutch released at .25". So if the bench release test is considered the "go to" then why not use the original pp, specially after being told someone would have to pay for the new pp? Don was looking out for his customer. It worked, but only for 100 miles and it was right back on a tow truck. Taken apart and the disk was hosed.

Quick Reply: Monster level 2 issue...Damn