Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster level 2 issue...Damn

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster level 2 issue...Damn

I was hoping it was going to be something simple. I started having issues all of a sudden with my clutch not disengaging after about 1,500 miles. Checked the hydraulics for signs of failure and no signs present. Brought it to my buddys shop and we bled the system and noticed the fluid was dark which didnt make sense with that many miles. Had the installer double check for a second opinion and it came down to where he had to pull the trans. Got the bad news and pics. Thinks the pressure plate is defective. Didnt get the chance to drive it hard but surprised and impressed it held that many miles only contacting in one spot lol.

Gonna work with Steve to see if we can figure out what happened

Last edited by Scoobysnacks; 07-23-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Just for the record this is not a bash to monster products.

I searched the board for my possible issue a lot of people that had the exact same symptoms with disengagement issues(multiple manufactures) that throw new masters(believe me that was my first thought) but still have an issue. If there is no obvious hydraulic issues it's a pain to have the tranny pulled but work with what you got first before throwing parts at it you might not need.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Other than the hot spot, I don't see anything wrong with that clutch. Are you sure absolutly nothing wrong with the hydraulics??
Old 07-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Launching!

The hydraulics tested fine by two different reputable mechanics that i would not question. They are the pros, I wouldn't be able to tell. This was the premium package which came with a new slave so the only stock part was the master 80k.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't think a defective pressure plate would make your fluid dark. The fact that you have an 80k master would be more to blame for the color of the fluid.

Looking at the picture you provided, there appears to be something orange around one of the holes and the next hole going clockwise appears to be ovaled. Not sure if it's the angle. These two areas are almost directly opposite the area in question. Maybe something to do with it? Some kind of uneven loading on the pressure plate when torqued down. This would explain the ring all the way around the disc as it spins making contact with the "high" spot and the really dark burned area being the high spot on the pressure plate and transferring to the flywheel creating a similar spot on it because they're married(bolted) and will always be oriented the same. That's my theory and i'm sticking to it LOL

One last thing, hopefully you've contacted Monster about this as well as making this thread.

Good luck, pulling transmissions sucks.

One last thought on the fluid. Maybe this got so hot it cooked the fluid at the slave cylinder causing the dark fluid.

OK i'm done. Again, good luck

Last edited by S1LV3R; 07-23-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by S1LV3R
I wouldn't think a defective pressure plate would make your fluid dark. The fact that you have an 80k master would be more to blame for the color of the fluid.

Looking at the picture you provided, there appears to be something orange around one of the holes and the next hole going clockwise appears to be ovaled. Not sure if it's the angle. These two areas are almost directly opposite the area in question. Maybe something to do with it? Some kind of uneven loading on the pressure plate when torqued down.

One last thing, hopefully you've contacted Monster about this as well as making this thread.
I agree, the color of the fluid has nothing to do with the clutch.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Launching!

I can't explain the fluid color but I know that won't cause a pressure plate issue lol. All I know is the issue the t56 has with clutch dust getting into the fluid and should be bled every oil change to keep clean.

I made sure I contacted Steve last week when I first had the issue for suggestions. They were aware.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

My initial reaction is improperly torqued bolts on the pressure plate on initial install.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:30 AM
Launching!

I will have to see what is determined. Unfotunately its out of my control.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Thanks Don and Steve for getting this resolved so quickly! I will be back on the road in about a week or so when the new pressure plate gets here.

I guess what was found is the fingers on the pressure plate are not at even heights as well as a bench test resulting in the pressure plate not releasing the clutch until .450 when it should at .250

Odd things can happen with anything, but great customer service goes a long way!
Old 07-25-2012, 03:21 PM
FormerVendor

No problem man, Let me know if you need anything else. Sorry about that
Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

i hate my monster clutch... way to chattery even after beatign the **** out of it and had to listen to the throw out bearing for over 5,000 miles before it worked itself in....
15K mile later. if its been sitting for more than 3 days or under 50 degrees... sounds like nails on a chalkboard until it warms up

i called monster to see if they had any trouble like this and they said they wouldnt do anything about it because it was the fact that i bought too strong of a clutch.. my friend has a level 4 spec in his bolt on and not a single problem. and i know several who have monster 3s on their stock ls1s....

the only monster i ever plan to buy again will come in a can...

not to bash monster but i wont buy again from them
Old 07-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Launching!

I had a monster 3 before for a couple of months and loved it. Unfortunately out of preference I took it out and put a level 2 in just because of living in a high traffic area and it got tough for stop and go's so it was not practical for me.

I did have the chatter and a little squeek during engagement but that clutch is not really meant to be slipped with that material because it will get a glaze. But when its time for hard driving the clutch does what it is designed for. Some people take that as a compromise.

If they havent already there is some sort of technique that Monster will explain to you to practice in a parking lot for take offs during normal traffic to reduce the chances of glazing. Also they have other techniques for trying to break that glaze. What are you doing in terms of beating on it?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jadedbird
i hate my monster clutch... way to chattery even after beatign the **** out of it and had to listen to the throw out bearing for over 5,000 miles before it worked itself in....
15K mile later. if its been sitting for more than 3 days or under 50 degrees... sounds like nails on a chalkboard until it warms up

i called monster to see if they had any trouble like this and they said they wouldnt do anything about it because it was the fact that i bought too strong of a clutch.. my friend has a level 4 spec in his bolt on and not a single problem. and i know several who have monster 3s on their stock ls1s....

the only monster i ever plan to buy again will come in a can...

not to bash monster but i wont buy again from them
I own Monster Clutch Co and I can tell you that none of my guys are trained to tell customers what you posted.

Throw out bearings don't "work themselves in", I'm not sure what you are describing here but it sounds like you need to give me a call so I can go over this with you. My name is Steve, my number is 817-750-2000 or you can shoot me an email to steve@monsterclutches.com. We pride ourselves on taking care of customers, what you're describing isn't the norm from us.

Call me or email me.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

my warranty is up tho....
im not even sure if i could find the reciept
Old 07-28-2012, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just call the man for crying out loud lol.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
Just call the man for crying out loud lol.
Exactly! You say you aren't bashing them but you step into someone else's thread about how you hate them and will never buy from them again yet when the owner offers you a direct line or email you come up with excuses not to do anything about it.... Sounds like you just wanted to bash them...

I have a stage 3 in mine and it does have to warm up a little after sitting for several days but hell so do brake pads... Did you get on Autozone's website and bash their duralast pads?

Steve and Monster have an outstanding rep and quality products. Man up and call.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jadedbird
my warranty is up tho....
im not even sure if i could find the reciept
Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
I own Monster Clutch Co and I can tell you that none of my guys are trained to tell customers what you posted.

Throw out bearings don't "work themselves in", I'm not sure what you are describing here but it sounds like you need to give me a call so I can go over this with you. My name is Steve, my number is 817-750-2000 or you can shoot me an email to steve@monsterclutches.com. We pride ourselves on taking care of customers, what you're describing isn't the norm from us.

Call me or email me.
sounds like some awesome customer service.....trying to better his product and help his customer....i gotta say this is A+ service (outside looking in)
Old 08-02-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

by looking at his post it has nissan in it that speaks volumes of his whine. man up i have not had a single issue with monster stage 2 and customer service beyond compare!!! any one that can warranty a clutch assembly, i mean the most abused part of a drive train and still smile when ******* customers diss them will always have my business. long live monster!!! now do i get a free t-shirt?? the oldman...
Old 08-03-2012, 05:38 AM
Launching!

Time to call Steve again.... I just opened an email from my shop and they stated the New PP did not fix the issue. Had to tear it back down and found the clutch disk is warped as well... inside and out maybe from the heat?...

Quick Reply: Monster level 2 issue...Damn