Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Loud knocking when I shift gears and something hits floorboards - please help my DD!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud knocking when I shift gears and something hits floorboards - please help my DD!

It has been 3 weeks since this happened.. I was doing a pull down the hwy, and when i let off i heard something that sounded like a smaller piece of steel fall off and bounce around under my car, i felt it hit the floor boards and then ting away as i left it behind on the hwy... I thought i had maybe just run something over and it was just bouncing around underneath..

I kept cruising in 6th till my exit, when i shifted down to 5th, i heard a loud knock and it sounds like it hit right under my center console.. and again shifting to 4th, and shifting back up to 5th... and it would happen some times when i hit bumps...

I have had no extra money so Ive been riding the bike everywhere for the past 3 weeks (thank god for decent weather) and I finally just went out and started the old girl, started right up after 3 weeks of neglection and i let it warm up a bit, and took it half way up the street... didnt knock once through first, i shifted lightly into second and i felt the same feeling, that knock and it felt like it hit right under my center console..

now it doesnt feel like its doing anything but knocking, i dont lose any power in the driveline when it knocks, but i just dont want anything worse to happen.

Every time I am WOT i get a bad vibration through the car, maybe driveshaft out of balance?

and i was thinking maybe this was a tranny mount that broke? I dont know, I plan on taking it to a shop for them to deal with on tuesday, but I figured Id get my first opinion from you guys

If its something easy ill just take it to my grandfathers hoist and fix it.. if its anything diff/tranny related, the car is gonna be sitting for a while again...

Please guys any help is much much appreciated.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

It sounds like you may have lost a bolt that holds your clamshell on torque arm. Every time you shift, you unload the rear end and then reload and that would cause your torque arm to hit on the trans tunnel. Have you ever replaced your torque arm bushing? maybe the bolt backed out.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

definitely check the torque arm mount
Old 08-05-2012, 10:12 PM
12 Second Club

my buddys dad said that the mounts or something with the torque arms were bad on our cars.. so that is hopefully what it is! bit of a relief for me.. thanks guys, i appreciate it..

any thoughts on the vibration while WOT? could it just be the driveshaft out of balance or?
Old 08-05-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check it yourself first. Probably either gonna be the tranny mount or the torque arm mount. Either one is bad to go WOT with, so I wouldn't do it until you take a look under there.

Ryan
Old 08-06-2012, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

yup that would be either the torque arm mount or the tranny mount.I would bet the torque arm mount though.And that would cause the vibs at wot too,cuz it puts the pinion angle way off when you go wot
Old 08-06-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hendrixx
my buddys dad said that the mounts or something with the torque arms were bad on our cars.. so that is hopefully what it is! bit of a relief for me.. thanks guys, i appreciate it..

any thoughts on the vibration while WOT? could it just be the driveshaft out of balance or?
If the torque arm is infact moving around in there it will definitely cause a vibration due to the fact the pinion angle is changing and you are putting a lot of stress on the U-joint. Also you really want to be easy on it because the torque arm can snap the reverse lock out solenoid off the side of the trans, happened to me once in mexico and made for a real bad night.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

Had the same thing happen with my 95 Camaro with a 5 speed, turned out to be the tranny mount so that one gets my vote.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Just took it to a shop, the torque arm bolt came right out of the top which is what flung off the car on the hwy and apparently left the hole stripped out. He quoted me at 150 bucks to retap the hole and put a new bolt in cause the have to drop the back half of the tranny.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

That's what I thought. That's not a bad price, it is a pain in the *** to fix it if the hole stripped out. There is not a whole lot of room in there
to work a tap. I say go for it
Old 08-07-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

You might want to look into a tunnel mount torque are or relocation mount. Not much more money and definitely better for your tailshaft.

Ryan
Old 08-07-2012, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

got it all back together and on the road... thanks guys.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
You might want to look into a tunnel mount torque are or relocation mount. Not much more money and definitely better for your tailshaft.

Ryan
Is this the main reason to go from a tranny mount to a tunnel mount?
Old 08-17-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

No, the main reason is for drag racing or higher power applications. The torque are can stress or break the tailhousing. For drag racing, you can buy a mount that is adjustable. Then you can adjust the cars instant center to hit the tires softer or harder.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Loud knocking when I shift gears and something hits floorboards - please help my DD!