Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Issue torquing flywheel bolts....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue torquing flywheel bolts....

I am in process of installing a new clutch. I bought 6 new flywheel bolts from the local Chevy dealer. I torque them in the correct sequence to 15 ft/lb, then 37 ft/lb, then torque 3 bolts to 75 ft/lb. The fourth bolt would not torque though, it continued to spin. I pulled the bolt out and found it stretched close to the head of the bolt.

I removed one of the other bolts and threaded it into the hole in question. It did the same thing. Then I tried the bolt across from it and that bolt did the same thing. The bolt threaded cleanly in and out again. I am assuming it is one of two issues. Either the torque wrench went wildly out of cal on bolt four and failed to click, allowing me to continue tightening the fastener past it's yield point. Or I got three defective bolts from GM (the first bolt, then the two test bolts after that).

The torque wrench is a click type and has not been calibrated in a couple years. Then again, it is hard to believe a torque wrench went wildly out of cal in the middle of using it. It is also hard for me to believe three bolts are defective. Then again, a 50% fail rate may be one of the causes of GM needing a bailout.

Thoughts? Thanks for the help.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

definitely the torque out of calibration. what brand is it?
Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Launching!

craftsman
Old 08-17-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Do a search on clutch bolt torque. Lots of people having issues at 75 ft/lbs. I recently bought an aftermarket flywheel/clutch. Their reccomendation was 45 ft/lbs.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

I just installed a new clutch and flywheel kit in my 01 ss and I did the 15, 37, 74 ft.lb. torque on them and no problems - I even reused the stock bolts... I know that some would disagree with this but I had/have no issues. Only about 200 miles on it but still good. Is the stretching of the bolts immediately noticeable when looking at the bolt or did you have to mic it? I would be inclined to think it was the bolts if you can look at them and tell right away....
Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

The torque wrench hasnt went out of cal in the middle. It's totally out full stop.

You were just lucky with the 3 bolts that didnt stretch.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Launching!

I borrowed a recently calibrated torque wrench from work and bought six new bolts. Worked like a champ. The trans is re-installed and shifting smoothly.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Wish I woulda read this 4 months ago. I had no idea the bolts were torque to yield when I did my 6 speed swap and just hammered them on there with impact and doused them in red locktite. I've been driving the car daily since then at least 50 miles a day and even went on a 1200 mile road trip and haven't had any problems yet. Guess I gotta keep holding my breath and praying
Old 08-26-2012, 03:37 AM
9 Second Club

They arent TTY, Ive re-used them plenty of times with no issue.

If the bolts have pulled or stripped they have been over tightened. Plain and simple.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
They arent TTY, Ive re-used them plenty of times with no issue.

If the bolts have pulled or stripped they have been over tightened. Plain and simple.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Just because you have used them over again doesn't mean they aren't TTY. When I was first putting in a clutch, I called the dealer and asked specifically about these bolts and the service guy told me they are torque to yield. I used a new set the first time I put a clutch in, and then went to ARP fasteners (almost the same price) the second time around. OP, just buy ARP and be done with it.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:29 PM
9 Second Club

They are just regular ( albeit low grade ) high tensile bolts, which in itself is surprising.

They will say not to -reuse them because of the loctite on them for sealing the oilway.

Although given how cheap they are, I would say to always replace them anyway. I only re-used as there arent exactly many stockists over here.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
They are just regular ( albeit low grade ) high tensile bolts, which in itself is surprising.

They will say not to -reuse them because of the loctite on them for sealing the oilway.

Although given how cheap they are, I would say to always replace them anyway. I only re-used as there arent exactly many stockists over here.
No, I'm saying they told me I can't reuse them because they are TTY. ARP fasteners do not come with anything on the threads, so there isn't any issue with reusing stock ones because of the sealant being worn off the threads--it's because they stretch and are unsafe to be reused. There is a safety issue that comes with reusing those bolts, which is why GM engineers decided they should be throwaway items. If anyone wants to take their chances on it, that's their choice. I, for one, like my feet too much
Old 08-26-2012, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
No, I'm saying they told me I can't reuse them because they are TTY. ARP fasteners do not come with anything on the threads, so there isn't any issue with reusing stock ones because of the sealant being worn off the threads--it's because they stretch and are unsafe to be reused. There is a safety issue that comes with reusing those bolts, which is why GM engineers decided they should be throwaway items. If anyone wants to take their chances on it, that's their choice. I, for one, like my feet too much
Thanks for making me **** my pants
Old 08-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Launching!

The occasional pants shitting is good for you. Whether TTY or not wasn't my biggest concern. My biggest concern were the posts I found on this forum showing pictures of clutches ruined by oil contamination caused by oil leaking around the flywheel bolts. Rather than track down a suitable thread sealant, I chose to buy new bolts that come with the sealant on them ready to install.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by reinhardt02
The occasional pants shitting is good for you. Whether TTY or not wasn't my biggest concern. My biggest concern were the posts I found on this forum showing pictures of clutches ruined by oil contamination caused by oil leaking around the flywheel bolts. Rather than track down a suitable thread sealant, I chose to buy new bolts that come with the sealant on them ready to install.
Make sure not to disagree with anyone on here or the mods will jump your *** and tell you you have a bad attitude and call you names and lock the thread lmao. This sight has yet to help me with anything but I try to share the knowledge I do have with others but it's getting retarded. I'm going to replace my flywheel bolts anyways since I put on mine with a air impact that's God only knows how old. I've heard the bolt are TTY but then again I had an engineer from GM come to my shop and help me change 157 defective rear main seals on GM small blocks and we re used every single flywheel bolt in the bunch. Don't know if that goes for LS motors as well.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Boosterado
Make sure not to disagree with anyone on here or the mods will jump your *** and tell you you have a bad attitude and call you names and lock the thread lmao. This sight has yet to help me with anything but I try to share the knowledge I do have with others but it's getting retarded. I'm going to replace my flywheel bolts anyways since I put on mine with a air impact that's God only knows how old. I've heard the bolt are TTY but then again I had an engineer from GM come to my shop and help me change 157 defective rear main seals on GM small blocks and we re used every single flywheel bolt in the bunch. Don't know if that goes for LS motors as well.
I believe I was the one disagreeing in the thread, as far as I can tell. I only wanted to bring it to everyone's attention that I had gone to the source and asked about the TTY issue because I had the same question. Right or wrong, they told me they are TTY. I didn't mean to be disrespectful. I wanted to make sure no one got hurt by thinking there was no problem re-using these and having a flywheel come off. It may never happen, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

I'll let you know if mine lets loose before I get a better clutch in mine.... That is if the mods don't block me lmfao
Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

No, I'm saying they told me I can't reuse them because they are TTY. ARP fasteners do not come with anything on the threads, so there isn't any issue with reusing stock ones because of the sealant being worn off the threads--it's because they stretch and are unsafe to be reused. There is a safety issue that comes with reusing those bolts, which is why GM engineers decided they should be throwaway items
who is "THEY"?........I've found that they, would, could, should simply are not answers that I would follow.

spend 50 bucks on a used GM service manual, read the note regarding the bolt holes going right into the crank bearing oiling paths

.......or tilt any LS motor upright and watch the oil drain out the FW bolt holes

ARP fasteners? look at the small note(literally, it's folded up behind the 6 bolts in the shrink wrap) supplied with the ARP LS FW bolt kit, it tells you exactly what Loctite compound to use.

Attention to detail.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by connecticut
who is "THEY"?........I've found that they, would, could, should simply are not answers that I would follow.
When I was first putting in a clutch, I called the dealer and asked specifically about these bolts and the service guy told me they are torque to yield.
That's "THEY."

spend 50 bucks on a used GM service manual, read the note regarding the bolt holes going right into the crank bearing oiling paths

.......or tilt any LS motor upright and watch the oil drain out the FW bolt holes
Yes, I have GM service manuals (actually spent exactly 50 for a used set ) and yes, I am aware of the oil draining out of the FW bolt holes on the crank.

ARP fasteners? look at the small note(literally, it's folded up behind the 6 bolts in the shrink wrap) supplied with the ARP LS FW bolt kit, it tells you exactly what Loctite compound to use.

Attention to detail.
Yes, I read the small note folded up inside my ARP package, and yes, I used the Loctite as recommended. My point was that just because the GM flywheel bolts had a sealant pre-applied doesn't mean you have to re-use them. You can use ARP fasteners which don't come with any preapplied and use the Loctite recommended and be fine. I just didn't say anything about having to use the Loctite in my response. My bad.

You seem upset about this, and I'm not sure why. We were really just having a conversation about whether the bolts were TTY or not, and I chimed in because I had a personal experience with this myself.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I don't get upset at people I never met on a forum.

just wanted you to read the note in your manual and find out if GM mentions TTY or thread sealant regarding the bolts

fwiw, I'd swap out the bolts and use new GM with the blue stuff that's already on them

it's a couple hours on a C5/6 to remove the clutch on a good day

Quick Reply: Issue torquing flywheel bolts....