Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bad t56?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bad t56?

My car has been making a grinding noise when I'm in first gear and coming to a stop with the clutch pedal pressed in. It shifts great and clutch doesn't slip, so I took it to my mechanic and he Agreed it was the throw out bearing. So I just got a call from him telling me that it's not only the release bearing, but that my transmission is bad and I need to have it replaced.

I'm starting to not trust this guy anymore and I'm gonna be picking up my car later on after work. Is there anything I should look for or inspect to see if I really need a new transmission?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

The car is a 98 ws6 with a hair over 100k miles. Stock clutch and transmission with a lightweight flywheel as I was told from the previous owner.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 AM
FormerVendor

Saying the transmission is bad is pretty vague on his part. Did he offer any info on what was bad?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Saying the transmission is bad is pretty vague on his part. Did he offer any info on what was bad?
Yeah that's why it seemed a bit suspicious to me. It was over the phone and he kept telling me it was something about some bearings. And he didn't suggest having it rebuilt for some reason. He quoted me 1500-2000 for a t56.

He also mentioned the grinding noise was in all gears but I could only hear the one at slow speed due to the exhaust. It might be true, but I really doubt it, the grinding noise is ridiculously loud. Ive had much louder cars
Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Is there anything I can ask him or check for when I pick up my car?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 PM
FormerVendor

If he has the transmission back in the car there isn't much you can do to diagnose it.

Does it grind in neutral or only when the car is moving?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Only when the car is moving. I can be in neutral with the clutch in or out and it won't make any noises. If I'm in a 100% complete stop and switch to first, it will do so fine and take off with no issues. It's only when I'm coming to a complete stop or parking on 1st gear that I hear the grinding noise while stepping on the clutch pedal.

Not sure if this makes any sense
Old 01-16-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

So i just came back from the mechanics'. Apparantely, i misunderstood him and he mentioned that it could either be the transmission or the pilot bearing...

So now im back at step 1. He pretty much told me that it would take longer to order a transmission and to save up in the meantime to buy one. That way he wouldnt charge me labor twice. At least he didnt charge me anything.

It really sucks that he didnt check the pilot bearing while he had it lifted. So now im thinking about saving up for a new monster clutch and taking it to someone else to have it installed and check the transmission while its out.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

I just noticed it also makes noises when fully stopped as if something is spinning and metal rubbing very slightly. The car also feels abit sluggish in 1st and 2nd gear. So im thinking my clutch is going out.

Will a pilot bearing cause a terrible grinding noise when stopping with the clutch pedal pressed down?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

not able to do any of the work yourself?

trans is kinda easy to pull if you have the space and tools n know how. i shipped mine to tick performance for the stage 1 rebuild and i replaced my pilot bearing.

stock clutch? stock master cylinder?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by autogeek23
not able to do any of the work yourself?

trans is kinda easy to pull if you have the space and tools n know how. i shipped mine to tick performance for the stage 1 rebuild and i replaced my pilot bearing.

stock clutch? stock master cylinder?
Its really difficult for me to do since my schedule is pretty tight. Ive got the tools, but not the space either. I used to work on my lt1 a lot, but i dont have the time anymore and im not experienced with transmissions.

My clutch and master cylinder are both stock as far as i know. The previous owner told me it had a lighter flywheel though.

If it all comes down to a bad transmission, i will more than likely end up doing the same and having it shipped to one of our sponsors for a rebuild. But im really hoping its only the clutch so i dont have to deal with removing and shipping a transmission. My only other problem is spending around $600 on the clutch, only to find out that the transmission is wrong. But i might have to take the risk.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

So I took my car to a different mechanic yesterday and he called me back today. He says the transmission is ok. The pilot bearing on the other hand was bad.

So I called tickperformance to order a new clutch but I missed their store hours. Ill have to call them back on Monday morning to order my clutch.

I'm thinking about ordering the monster stage 2 clutch kit with a 18lbs flywheel. Also a new slave cylinder but not a master. What do you guys think of that setup?

It's going on a bolt on DD that will probably never see the track. I'm planning on h/c/I in the long future, but nothing too drastic. Maybe 228 cam and ported 243 heads
Old 01-21-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Just called tickperformance and ordered a new monster stage 2 clutch

Really helpful people, was all set and done in under 10 minutes. Can't wait till I receive it!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its an olderer post but Im having the same is with mine right now. Did ordering a new clutch solve the problem?

Quick Reply: Bad t56?