Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Broken shift pads? Need help with t-56!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken shift pads? Need help with t-56!

My cam only '02 SS has been experiencing some strange problems here lately and so as a last resort I figured I'd but you tech guys.
The car (obviously a 6 speed car) shifts fine driving around town, it's only when I race or directly after a burnout when I run into problems,
After a burnout it will be stuck in 1st gear and very tough to come out. Once it comes out it doesn't want to go back in any gear. Again, if I drive it around easily it will shift fine, but once under a load or more stress it turns into a real pita to go into any gear. Any ideas?
The car has a monster level 3 clutch with a ram adjustable master. Thanks for any info in advance
Old 02-27-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you may have some bent or broken keys. Fork pads usually don't allow you to enter the gear fully or it pops out.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:15 AM
Teching In

That's what I was afraid of, my friend thinks it's my ram master but I'm about 95% sure it's internal. Also one more thing, it has allowed me to ram the shifter into reverse accidentally while running about 70mph on the interstate or at the track. Nooooooottt a very good feeling.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:14 AM
TECH Veteran

that sounds like your shift solenoid, because the solenoid should be locking you out of the reverse gate at speeds above 3 mph. but ya the ram mc wouldnt make the car get stuck in gear, if anything it would allow you not to get into gear or causing shifting problems. but you should be able to pull the trans out of gear without touching the clutch even though its not really good.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:09 AM
Teching In

Im lost when It comes to transmissions so any info helps, thanks.
I'm tempted to just yank the trans and send it off to get rebuilt but was just curious if there was any simpler fix for this issue.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting stuck in gears is fun... Then when you get it out it won't go in any others. LOL

I dealt with that... Kept beating on it... As of last week, regardless of what gear I am in.... I am in first. Whether it be neutral, 2nd, 6th, etc. Can you say F'ed trans? LOL
Old 03-07-2013, 06:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fitzy
Im lost when It comes to transmissions so any info helps, thanks.
I'm tempted to just yank the trans and send it off to get rebuilt but was just curious if there was any simpler fix for this issue.
sounds like thats what needs to be done. probably find some broken keys fork pads etc. the reverse issue still sounds like the solenoid staying open.
Originally Posted by lemons12
Getting stuck in gears is fun... Then when you get it out it won't go in any others. LOL

I dealt with that... Kept beating on it... As of last week, regardless of what gear I am in.... I am in first. Whether it be neutral, 2nd, 6th, etc. Can you say F'ed trans? LOL
sound like you broke the 1-2 shft fork and now its stuck in first. time to pull it apart lemons
Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by redbird555
sounds like thats what needs to be done. probably find some broken keys fork pads etc. the reverse issue still sounds like the solenoid staying open.

sound like you broke the 1-2 shft fork and now its stuck in first. time to pull it apart lemons
Along with popping out of 3rd gear... Won't go in 3rd or 4th, grinds... The list goes on. LOL

I'm going to get it built soon.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by lemons12
Along with popping out of 3rd gear... Won't go in 3rd or 4th, grinds... The list goes on. LOL

I'm going to get it built soon.
Was it like that when you got it? I guess when you race it like you do in SR&K thats what happens lol
Old 03-08-2013, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by redbird555
Was it like that when you got it? I guess when you race it like you do in SR&K thats what happens lol
It was perfect when I got it.

I knew before I bought it that it would go. Stock master can't keep up.

I don't lift, only push the clutch in a couple inches, and shift very fast and very hard. It tore up the 2nd night I had it.... Pulling a cam only car!

It took its abuse.... And then some.

I will rebuild it to handle my shifting and start giving her hell again.

They say if you want to have the "driver mod" you have to drive it like you WANT to break it and not give a ****. I knew it was coming. Actually lasted longer than I thought.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 AM
TECH Veteran

ya i try to shift mine as quick as possible and not hurt anything. lol so far its working out.

def get a tick mc tho i love mine and you really only do have to push the clutch down halfway to completely disengage it
Old 03-08-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Stg 2 rebuild with Tick MC and a new slave with a speed bleeder!

Quick Reply: Broken shift pads? Need help with t-56!