Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Input shaft wear and damage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Input shaft wear and damage?

This is a Tremec 26 spline input shaft out of my 03 Cobra. It has about 6k miles on it and I wanted to find the reason why I had a loud whine in all gears except 4th and with the clutch pushed in.

The Throwout bearing was trashed which isnt uncommon and the input shaft was not perfectly centered in the retainer sleeve either.

We found this damage today but couldnt findand obvious reason why it was damaged the way it was. The cluster gear is in almost perfect shape, the bearings and races look perfectly fine as well as everything else in the trans. . Anyone have an explanation for this before I replace it? Im gonna call tremec tomorrow because I dont want to put a new input in the trans to have it happen again in a few thousand miles.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-04-2013, 05:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What damage are we looking at? I see some slight discoloration, and some bevelling, but I don't see any damage. What does the corresponding gear of the countershaft look like? I don't see anything in the pic that would require replacing the input shaft.

Is the trans raced a lot? You might just need to (re)shim the mainshaft and cluster gears if they are walking apart under heavy load.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can see some minor chipping on the top corners. It looks like the splines are only meshing about half way.

I only made a few passes at the track with it. I will post a picture in a bit of the cluster gear although it isn't close up. Ill have to go down the shop tomorrow with my DSLR.

Tremec said they think its an alignment issue.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without seeing all of it in front of me the pic looks like the teeth are worn thin. There are shims in that area to adjust the bearing preload. If you have problems w/ the shaft not staying stable under load like flexing under power(pilot bearing) then the shaft will wear like that. Make sure the block has the dowel pins in it as well.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:09 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It's an alignment issue of yes.

If it was put together without shims, the gearsets could spread apart like Mike said and the tooth contact pattern would junk the headset gears.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cam75w/ls1
Without seeing all of it in front of me the pic looks like the teeth are worn thin. There are shims in that area to adjust the bearing preload. If you have problems w/ the shaft not staying stable under load like flexing under power(pilot bearing) then the shaft will wear like that. Make sure the block has the dowel pins in it as well.
It does have the dowel pins in the block.
Originally Posted by jmd
It's an alignment issue of yes.

If it was put together without shims, the gearsets could spread apart like Mike said and the tooth contact pattern would junk the headset gears.
Wouldnt the races and bearing be damaged if that was the case? Im just trying to understand it all so i dont just throw another 26 spline in there and have it happen in a few thousand miles.

BTW I plan on letting a trans shop install the new shaft.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:49 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Code:
////////<--> ////////  Gear teeth of input / counter
\\___// <--> \\___//  Bearing cones snug in the races with proper shimming

//////// <--->////////  Gear teeth of input / counter
\___/   <----> \___/   Bearing cones loose due to no / improper shimming
 \   /  <-->  \   /   Bearing races deep into the front adapter plate w/out shims
Your rollers were dark where they were out of the race.
I would plan on letting a T56 guru do it rather than "a trans. shop."

Now you know what to think of someone who says "I converted my LT1 trans. to LS1 T56 without re-shimming and it's fine."
Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea when I say trans shop I meant rkt56.com or a shop that builds my buddies fathers race trans for his road race cars.

Quick Reply: Input shaft wear and damage?