Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Level 2 Delivery!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Monster Level 2 Delivery!

Just received my Monster Level 2 premium kit with 28lb flywheel and it looks awesome! Placed the order through the Ws6Store and their every day price is hard to beat.

Install will be this Sunday and I will have install pics along with a review of the clutch during the break-in period.

From looking at the disc it appears to be their segmented kevlar disk. I know they experimented with this disk a while back but unsure if this is now the standard disk. Maybe Steve can chime in.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Monster Level 2 Delivery!-clutch.jpg  
Old 03-13-2013, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've been told the Monster Clutch info is listed wrong for the stage 2. The stage 2 disk is Kevlar and the stage 1 is the carbon/organic.

I'd really like to see the Monster clutch website, Tick website, and WS6store website update their information if it is incorrect. Is there someone I can talk to so we can get the correct information out there on the stage 2? I'd be willing to do the footwork and write the emails.

This is the stage 2 description that says the stage 2 is organic...

"They went back to the drawing board on the Level 2's trying to "one-up" themselves. They wanted to design a clutch that would take abuse, drive like stock, and last like a stock unit. By that they mean they want a unit that will go 40,000+ miles with abuse. The old Level 2's were great in their own right but dual friction units are old technology. They've said it themselves and they've hear others say it; a dual friction is only as good as its weakest friction side. They thought to themselves, "We've got some really stout carbon/organic frictions, and I've got a newly developed 11" pressure plate that puts out a staggering 3500+lbs plate load while still maintaining a decent pedal effort (8% stiffer than stock). Hell, let's throw them together and see what we get!" So they did this at the beginning of last year and they've had outstanding results! Numerous cars are over the 20,000 mile mark with ~60% of wear left, they all drive like a stock unit, and best of all they take abuse! Chris W's C5 Corvette has pushed this clutch to 11.0x numerous times and will look to go 10.5's with the same setup, all this with an organic you say? Hell yes! "

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 03-13-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 455GTO
Just received my Monster Level 2 premium kit with 28lb flywheel and it looks awesome! Placed the order through the Ws6Store and their every day price is hard to beat.

Install will be this Sunday and I will have install pics along with a review of the clutch during the break-in period.

From looking at the disc it appears to be their segmented kevlar disk. I know they experimented with this disk a while back but unsure if this is now the standard disk. Maybe Steve can chime in.

Thanks
Looks nice! Hey do me a favor and put the P/P and disc on your bathroom scale and tell what it weighs? If you have a stocker weigh it too!
Old 03-13-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
From what I've been told the Monster Clutch info is listed wrong for the stage 2. The stage 2 disk is Kevlar and the stage 1 is the carbon/organic.

I'd really like to see the Monster clutch website, Tick website, and WS6store website update their information if it is incorrect. Is there someone I can talk to so we can get the correct information out there on the stage 2? I'd be willing to do the footwork and write the emails.

"They went back to the drawing board on the Level 2's trying to "one-up" themselves. They wanted to design a clutch that would take abuse, drive like stock, and last like a stock unit. By that they mean they want a unit that will go 40,000+ miles with abuse. The old Level 2's were great in their own right but dual friction units are old technology. They've said it themselves and they've hear others say it; a dual friction is only as good as its weakest friction side. They thought to themselves, "We've got some really stout carbon/organic frictions, and I've got a newly developed 11" pressure plate that puts out a staggering 3500+lbs plate load while still maintaining a decent pedal effort (8% stiffer than stock). Hell, let's throw them together and see what we get!" So they did this at the beginning of last year and they've had outstanding results! Numerous cars are over the 20,000 mile mark with ~60% of wear left, they all drive like a stock unit, and best of all they take abuse! Chris W's C5 Corvette has pushed this clutch to 11.0x numerous times and will look to go 10.5's with the same setup, all this with an organic you say? Hell yes! "
Thanks for the insight! I have read that paragraph many times and never caught the organic part!!! I was aware the Level 2 is a kevlar disk, but from what Steve has mentioned it is a "full faced" kevlar disk.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:50 PM
Teching In

I bought a stage 2 last year when they were doing the black Friday sales. Its a full face disk. Maybe Steve will chime in and let us know whats up.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:20 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I put mine in a few months ago and it did NOT look like that. It was a full face kevlar.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I put mine in a few months ago and it did NOT look like that. It was a full face kevlar.
Interesting that most have received the full faced version. I dont mind the segmented, as it should dissipate heat better... Just wonder why the variances.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was full face too.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

UPDATE

Per Steve, I did indeed receive the segmented Kevlar disk and this is because his friction supplier will often send out different variations and they will have a small run of that disk type.

I am actually happy I received the segmented version as they typically dissipate heat better. They will hold the same power as the full face, but will just not heat up as quick. I will update the thread with install pictures this weekend!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the info for the Stage 3 Monster Clutch wrong too? Reason I ask is because I ordered one from Tick Performance over a week ago.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Is the info for the Stage 3 Monster Clutch wrong too? Reason I ask is because I ordered one from Tick Performance over a week ago.
I don't know. I was just curious for a while about why the stage 2 was rated higher than the stage 1. Like what was the difference in the clutches? I read the descriptions over and over and couldn't figure it out. I emailed monster a few days ago and was told the stage 2 is Kevlar and the stage 1 is organic.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know. I was just curious for a while about why the stage 2 was rated higher than the stage 1. Like what was the difference in the clutches? I read the descriptions over and over and couldn't figure it out. I emailed monster a few days ago and was told the stage 2 is Kevlar and the stage 1 is organic.
I see, I'm guessing the Stage 3 is Kevlar too, but could be wrong. I just saw it was rated at 700hp/700tq so that was what I needed. Can't wait to get it. Place the order on the 6th or 7th and it still hasn't shipped out yet.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I see, I'm guessing the Stage 3 is Kevlar too, but could be wrong. I just saw it was rated at 700hp/700tq so that was what I needed. Can't wait to get it. Place the order on the 6th or 7th and it still hasn't shipped out yet.
Per their site, the level 3 is cerametallic. It is a much more "grabby" material than kevlar but does tend to wear faster... I have the stock 10 bolt and with the level 3 I knew it would exploit the weak link in my drive train which is the rear, and break it. Kevlar can be "slipped" and fits my needs much better.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Per their site, the level 3 is cerametallic. It is a much more "grabby" material than kevlar but does tend to wear faster... I have the stock 10 bolt and with the level 3 I knew it would exploit the weak link in my drive train which is the rear, and break it. Kevlar can be "slipped" and fits my needs much better.
I'm on the stock 10 bolt too, but I think my 20 inch wheels out back will kind of negate that. A new rearend will be in my future though; just hope it's before my 10 bolt gernades.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Does anyone how the segmented Kevlar disk wear / life is versus a full face?
Old 03-14-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

UPDATE

Per Steve, I did indeed receive the segmented Kevlar disk and this is because his friction supplier will often send out different variations and they will have a small run of that disk type.

I am actually happy I received the segmented version as they typically dissipate heat better. They will hold the same power as the full face, but will just not heat up as quick. I will update the thread with install pictures this weekend!
Make sure to weigh it before you install it!...
Old 03-15-2013, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
Looks nice! Hey do me a favor and put the P/P and disc on your bathroom scale and tell what it weighs? If you have a stocker weigh it too!
Looks like I will have to buy my own, and weigh it myself. Thanks bro!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
Looks like I will have to buy my own, and weigh it myself. Thanks bro!
Slow Bride; I will weigh the Monster pressure plate/disk but I am not sure If I will be able to weigh the stock unit. The install will be done at my buddy's shop and I am not sure if there will be a scale accessible.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw a post where a guy weighed them on corvette forum and the stock LS6 clutch assembly comes in right at 50lbs.

The monster level 2 WITH lightened flywheel is 42.5 with a normal weight flywheel that would be 52.5 lbs....

Just for referance an ls7 assembly comes in at 60lbs! :guns My next clutch will be a monster level with a light flywheel
Old 03-16-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by redbird555
I saw a post where a guy weighed them on corvette forum and the stock LS6 clutch assembly comes in right at 50lbs.

The monster level 2 WITH lightened flywheel is 42.5 with a normal weight flywheel that would be 52.5 lbs....

Just for referance an ls7 assembly comes in at 60lbs! :guns My next clutch will be a monster level with a light flywheel
Now this is the kind of info I am looking for! Can you driect me to this post? It looks like that guy is thinking the same as me. Weighing the stock LS6 unit and compairing it to other assemblys. Thanks bro!

Last edited by slow ride 02; 03-16-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Monster Level 2 Delivery!