Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 hard to shift into 1st! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 hard to shift into 1st! Help!!

I just rebuilt the tranny. New synchros, blocker rings, cones. It becomes hard to shift into first all other gears are fine. Could this be clutch related? Or fluid? Any ideas would help because I am stuck right now!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Teching In

I've never had a t56 or a Manuel transmission so could it just be how t56s are?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the clutch may not be releasing fully if you try to go to other gears from neutral is it the same
Old 04-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Teching In

No, all the other gears feel ok. It doesn't always happen its hard when im down shifting into it (maybe thats normal?) or sometimes when the car has been parked in reverse and i try to put it in 1st it wont really wont to go. This might happen once during every drive. Could this be nothing to worry about because it hasn't been much of a problem since it doesn't happen that often?
Old 04-16-2013, 02:42 AM
Staging Lane

I had my T56 rebuilt to Tick stage 2 specs and I had the same issue for a while then it just went away. I had to push the clutch in, go to neutral, then let go of the clutch. Push the clutch in, then put it into first. Not sure why, but tell me if that works. Maybe it's just the nature of the new parts.

My SRT4's trans was rebuilt as well, with the same issue but seems to be getting better with time.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Teching In

It's not a DD so ill get back to you on that. How many miles did it take for it to go away? I have about 400 on mine and its happened about 3 times. Ill let you know if that works though. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SMKE EM
I had my T56 rebuilt to Tick stage 2 specs and I had the same issue for a while then it just went away. I had to push the clutch in, go to neutral, then let go of the clutch. Push the clutch in, then put it into first. Not sure why, but tell me if that works. Maybe it's just the nature of the new parts.

My SRT4's trans was rebuilt as well, with the same issue but seems to be getting better with time.
+1 its usually easier if you spin up the trans in neutral and then shift to 1st, and also it makes me think your clutch isn't disengaging 100%.

Put it in 1st, keep the clutch pressed to the floor and rev up to 5k, see if the car moves at all
Old 04-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 388_stroker
+1 its usually easier if you spin up the trans in neutral and then shift to 1st, and also it makes me think your clutch isn't disengaging 100%.

Put it in 1st, keep the clutch pressed to the floor and rev up to 5k, see if the car moves at all
Shifting feels notchy too, but I read that's how most of them feel. There's no grinding but the notchiness could be the clutch? It makes sense. It has 80k on it and its stock.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Update: I reved t with the clutch in car didn't seem to move. The shift moved a little when I hit 6k but that's normal right? Could the clutch still not be engaging all the way?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

What fluid are you running?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1_driver43
Update: I reved t with the clutch in car didn't seem to move. The shift moved a little when I hit 6k but that's normal right? Could the clutch still not be engaging all the way?
If the clutch is disengaging all the way, the car shouldn't roll forward at 5k+ rpms. If it did start to roll forward that would indicate the clutch disk isn't being fully disengaged. There is a possiblity it's right on the cusp though of just barely releasing it enough not to roll forward during the rev test, but not releasing it quite enough to get into 1st and reverse easily, that's what's happening to me right now. Mine is an easier diagnoses though because my clutch pedal is engaging really close off the floor.

Where does your clutch pedal engage the clutch when you regularly take off from a stop? If it's engaging really close off the floor it could indicate that your throwout bearing isn't pushing the pressure plate fingers in far enough to disengage the clutch disc a good enough amount to make shifting smooth and 1st/ reverse easier to get into. The fix for me is a Tick master cylinder. I'll be able to adjust the throwout bearing to extend farther than my stock master cylinder can make it extend thus fully releasing the clutch disc to make shifting smoother and 1st/reverse easy to get into again. Also it will bring my engagement point off the floor and further up into a more normal position.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typically when it is 1 gear it is the trans. The clutch doesn't "know" what gear the trans is in if that makes sense. On a side note, how many miles on the clutch set-up and what clutch is it?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, can't 1st and reverse be harder to shift into though compared to the other gears? I read this on Tick's website,

"Is your clutch pedal sticking to the floor when you drive your car aggressively? Are you having trouble shifting your car quickly in the upper RPMs? Are 1st Gear and Reverse hard to engage while the car is sitting still?"
Old 11-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hate to bring up an old thread, but today I had a hell of a time getting my car into 1st gear. anyone have an update?
Old 11-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Typically when it is 1 gear it is the trans. The clutch doesn't "know" what gear the trans is in if that makes sense. On a side note, how many miles on the clutch set-up and what clutch is it?
Hi,
You said "Typically when it is 1 gear it is the trans."
Can you explain this a little for me (us)
Thanks,
T
Old 11-18-2013, 05:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CGCBandit
Hate to bring up an old thread, but today I had a hell of a time getting my car into 1st gear. anyone have an update?
Did your car past the rev test?

Originally Posted by Tboh
Hi,
You said "Typically when it is 1 gear it is the trans."
Can you explain this a little for me (us)
Thanks,
T
The clutch doesn't choose which gear it is going to work for.

The OP never responded with what fluid he was using or if it got better over time which is what I suspect as when I first had my trans rebuilt it was a little notchy till it got broken in.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Teching In

I see, Thanks.

Quick Reply: T56 hard to shift into 1st! Help!!