Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

best low cost, lighweight, low power, clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best low cost, lighweight, low power, clutch

I'm looking for a new clutch and probably flywheel.

Car is under 3000 lbs with me in it, probably even under 2900 lbs, 3.73 rear gear, will probably never be drag raced, it will probably never exceed 450 rwhp, radial tires, and is a 99% street car.

I desire a low mass clutch and flywheel, and low cost as well. The stock clutch from the 1998 LS1 swap I bought is done, the flywheel is most likely salvageable but I would prefer an aluminum or lightweight steel unit. I will lean towards low cost more so than low mass.

I had a very light SPEC aluminum flywheel and lightened pressure place in my old NMRA car circa 2001-2004, so I know the upsides and downsides of a low mass clutch / flywheel. Granted, I never really thought the downsides were actually downsides.

Any experiences with lightweight LS1 clutches? I did a search and came up with the typical Monster and SPEC offerings but I don't see much on alternatives. I would probably end up leaning towards the Monster stage 2 with light flywheel due to the mix of apparent weight and cost, but I'd like to consider other options as well.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2013, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd consider an ACT, I've seen lots of good results with their product and the price is just right. I'd stay away from both of the ones you mention, I've seen too many hit n miss issues. Some were install related, but a good bunch were not, it was the product. I also have had good luck with Zoom clutch, the twin, but they sold the design to another company not too long ago.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Diamond stage 2. Bought it on sale it was $100 more than an LS7 and drives like stock.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen complaints on both the Monster and the SPEC.

I have no idea if Monster product is any good, but they do seem to be the cheapest full kit (clutch, flywheel, bearings, throw out) on the market as of right now.

I was happy with my SPEC, but it was in a Ford, and it was the lightest assembly available and legal for NMRA Real Street, and it was in and out pretty often which allowed me to keep track of it's maintenance pretty easily. I guess that does NOT mean their LS clutches are any good though, no idea.

Honestly I'm surprised at how many complaints there are in general about the manufacturers, but usually people only complain when something goes wrong, they never post good results when no problems occur.

I also ran Ram clutches long ago and was happy with them, and they seem to be universally hated here.

Not looking to spend the money on a McLeod or one of the high dollar units. I was really hoping to be under $650 for a full package but I'm not sure that's going to happen outside of Monster.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Level 2 clutch with the 18lb billet flywheel weighs 46lbs.

On the same scale a LS6 clutch assembly weighs in a 50lbs. Please keep in mind that where the weight is in the assembly is more important than overall weight.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

I went with the diamond stage 2 with chromoly flywheel you'll have to research how much lighter it is than stock, it was not that significant comporable to the monster unit in overall weight. Easy install with slightly stiffer pedal effort and stock like engagement, zero chatter.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Fidanza alum flywheel and LS6 clutch will hold that power and total vehicle weight.

LS7 clutch is a bit heavier but can easily hold 500rwhp in a light car.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Need to buy something soon to get the project done and the car on the road. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gnx7
Fidanza alum flywheel and LS6 clutch will hold that power and total vehicle weight.

LS7 clutch is a bit heavier but can easily hold 500rwhp in a light car.
I had the my Luk Pro Gold aka Fidanza flywheel and LS6 clutch not hold in my vette which was a couple hundred pounds heavier and made only 393rwhp at the time with 4.10 gears on the street, steel insert warped from heat...

Quick Reply: best low cost, lighweight, low power, clutch