Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

desperate help needed for car in shop, they cant bleed the slave and master!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 06:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default desperate help needed for car in shop, they cant bleed the slave and master!?

like an idiot once again, i needed a new CMC installed in my 99 Z28. soooo, the shop i brought it too (hyannis transmission 2 in case any wants to know) apparently are having so much trouble with installing the new CMC that they had to PULL THE TRANSMISSION WTF!!?!!?!?
Ok, first things first the CMC they are putting in is the Dorman one you see on Rockauto.com for around $60 that doesnt include the steel line or the resivor. they charged me $205 for it. i know shops mark up the price on parts but damn. so the shop basically told me that they are having problems bleeding the slave and the master (i guess you bleed the two seperatly?) and that the transmission has to come out. the reason was the car still didnt feel right they said after they had the new CMC in the car and bled. i was going to try to do this job myself but i dont have a mighty vac or anything else so i figured how hard could it be for a reputable shop to do this?

any ideas on why they would need to pull the trans for a master cylinder install? info is the tranny is new, the slave is new and the clutch is not new but fine when the put the new tranny and slave in about 2,000 miles ago
Old 05-18-2013, 07:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Find a new shop ? before they rob you of any more money ?
Old 05-18-2013, 07:59 AM
Launching!

Old 05-18-2013, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

are you friggin kidding me? thats all there is to bleeding the slave and master all at once..without bothering with the bleeder on the transmission? this shop is basically the best one around here...its just...i dont know what the hell to do. Do I tell them to bleed it the best they can, drive the car back home, do that trick that takes 2 minutes, and bam, i just did what this shop that has been around since 1965 couldnt do?
the whole reason for bringing the car in for a new master was the clutch was not fully disengaging, i could hear the clutch spin down after i put the car in gear. I guess i didnt know you have to bleed the slave seperate from the master cylinder, but according to that video, i just jam that hose down there and done. is there a seperate bleeder for the slave or something?? of course im a newb and no one around here is into cars so im pretty much on my own, and the shops here work on shitboxes all day everyday. I would like to go in this place and show them this video but...they have my car, they tried to bleed the CMCr for an entire day with no luck, so i do not want to **** them off lol
what should i tell them? and no i cant just grab the car unless i tell them to put the transmission in and that I will fix it. they are not charging me labor or nothing.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:24 AM
9 Second Club

The above method may have worked for him. I certainly wouldnt use it though.

Normal bleeding process is simple and 100% effective. If your shop cannot bleed the clutch, find a new shop !!!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Using too much vacuum can pull a seal. You cannot generate much vacuum by mouth. A hand tool also works but the vacuum gauge must be monitored to keep vacuum below 10". Someone should push the pedal in also while doing this to help. You can also reverse bleed by pushing fluid from the bleeder upwards.

They most likely didn't bench bleed the new master in which case you can pump it until your heart explodes and not be able to bleed the system.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:46 AM
9 Second Club

True, although gravity should drip through if the bleeder is left open. Either way, bleeding should not be difficult unless they've made a ***** during installation of the parts.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

i got no clue how they couldve screwed this up. They installed a brand new rebuilt T56 and a new slave about 4 months ago..clutch they said was fine even though it does chatter but i do beleive its a hays unit, and they left the CMC alone, though they obviously had no problem bleeding the hydraulics the last time. SO im thinking the Dorman SHITBOX clutch master they are using is the issue.
since im not having them install a Tick or a Ram cmc not that would make a difference, they are ording another CMC from GM directly. So i heard that the GM version comes pre bled with a new resivor and stainless slave line.
This shop is pretty good, even the GM dealer said they are one of the best arond here

Im terrfied that since i drove the car with a clutch that was NOT fully disengaging, meaning my clutch pedal went to the floor all the time, that i might have destroyed the new slave cylinder or worse, the clutch. The clutch however was NOT slipping at all when i brought the car in. like i said above, the clutch wasnt disengaging all the way. In traffic you could hear the clutch/slave/bearing whirring around at a stop light with the clutch pedal out and the car in neutral. As soon as i put the car in gear, the whirring noise went away which sounded to me like the clutch was spinning down as it contacted the flywheel, even though i had the clutch pedal to the floor.
so basically i drove the car for about 1500 miles with a clutch that never completley disengaged. the Stock master cylinder in the car had 115k miles on it.
Im thinking this has more to do not with the shop, but something else that i might have broke driving the car handicapped.

Im finding it hard to beleive that they bled the new slave cylinder fine when they installed the new transmission 4 months ago, but now that a new CMC is going in the car, they cant all of a sudden???????
thanks for the help guys

Last edited by DaytonaBlues; 05-18-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: cause im a tool
Old 05-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DaytonaBlues
In traffic you could hear the clutch/slave/bearing whirring around at a stop light with the clutch pedal out and the car in neutral. As soon as i put the car in gear, the whirring noise went away which sounded to me like the clutch was spinning down as it contacted the flywheel, even though i had the clutch pedal to the floor.
That sounds more like input shaft bearing preload. Document it for you tranny warranty if you have one.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

the trans is a Tranzilla from Rockland Standard, got me a year warranty, so im not worried. im just trying to figure out what would cause all these shananagins. for example, car is stationary, and clutch is engaged, pedal out. When i try to put the car in first WITHOUT pushing in the clutch, the car starts to roll forward. i was told thats a way to test some part of the transmission though i forget what.
the tranny has been great up until i try replacing the fukin CMC. i dont think using a tick would have made the bleeding process any easier especially if the pros think somethings not right. which is exactly why they told me they are gonna pull the tranny. they said its still hard to get into first and reverse.

and just to confirm this..bleeding ANY t56 is a PITA correct??? and when bleeding the Clutch master cylinder AND the Slave cylinder you bleed them BOTH from the SAME bleed screw correct? im new to the hydraulic **** world.

Last edited by DaytonaBlues; 05-18-2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: im still a tool
Old 05-18-2013, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

lol hydraulic ****...arnt they all? CLUTCH

Quick Reply: desperate help needed for car in shop, they cant bleed the slave and master!?