Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bearing destroyed

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot bearing destroyed

Last night i started to change the clutch and and found out that the pilot bearing was destroyed and the input shaft is pretty roughed up. here is a picture of what is left of the old pilot bearing.

Question is should i take the input shaft and have it polished or could i use some emery clothe and polish it that way?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

When mine disintegrated, after installing a new $437 prop shaft, Tick told me to just polish with emery cloth. That was 3 1/2 years ago and no issues since. And that is with heavy use at a lot of track days.

Good luck with it.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lightly dress it with e-cloth
Old 05-29-2013, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Was this making ANY kinds of unusual noises when it was still in place (like a front belt/pulley type of whine that goes up and down with engine speed)??
Old 05-29-2013, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

when mine ate itself it was silent in neutral and when the clutch was pressed in in neutral, but once you put it into gear it would make a low quiet gargle/grinding sound and continue even if you put it back into neutral as long as the clutch was in

I cleaned it up a bit and replaced it with a bronze oilite bushing so I don't have to worry about it again
Old 05-29-2013, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Was this making ANY kinds of unusual noises when it was still in place (like a front belt/pulley type of whine that goes up and down with engine speed)??
Nope no noise but some vibration so it couldn't of happened that long ago which is good. Got it all back in tonight hopefully driving by the weekend.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

Mine only made the grinding noise when engaging from a dead stop. It was also nearly completely shredded by the time I got it out. I debated about whether to do the bushing or bearing, and actually bought the bushing, but ended up going with bearing per Tick. Glad you got it all back together.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Mine was pretty bad. Team SCSS said that worn input shaft could cause excess wear on the internals which would eventually lead to second popping out of gear (Wait, i think it was third) and hard to put into first gear.

Quick Reply: Pilot bearing destroyed