Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

mcleod twin disk or ram vds 900 for 650RWHP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mcleod twin disk or ram vds 900 for 650RWHP?

which clutch to get for 650RWHP? mcleod twin disk or ram vds 900?

who !stocks! them?
Old 05-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Banned

summit has the mcleod twin disc for $1299 with adj. master cyl.

what about the t/o bearing/slave? use my stock z06 stuff?

I am leaning toward the mcleod twin disc

No need to worry about clutch issues anymore. Mcleod the only Manufacturers of clutches has solved the LS1 clutch needs. Choice between the single or twin disc clutches. Single disc is good for 500 rwhp. The twin disc is rated up to 1200hp. The twin disc is what we use in our project car. It takes everything we can dish out to it.

Twin Disc Assmebly Includes:
-Street Twin Pressure Plate
-Street Twin Disc
-Master Cylinder
-Steel Flywheel
Old 05-17-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been happy with my Street Twin so far. Nearly stock pedal pressure, and smooth. I was after reliability in my setup.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:41 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by mattz06
No need to worry about clutch issues anymore. Mcleod the only Manufacturers of clutches has solved the LS1 clutch needs. Choice between the single or twin disc clutches. Single disc is good for 500 rwhp. The twin disc is rated up to 1200hp. The twin disc is what we use in our project car. It takes everything we can dish out to it.
Dream on!

I smoked a Mcleod single disk N/A with only two track passes on DR's.
I upgraded to a to a twin disk and one of the fingers went bad while still in the break-in phase (64 miles total). We swapped that twin for another and replaced all of the hydraulics (master included). After the careful 500 miles break-in the car wouldn't shift above 6000rpms. We re-bled the system and found no air. We tried it again without success. The clutch grabs at the top of the peddle but the cars tires will rotate slightly with the peddle one centimeter off of the floor. My guess is the disk is warped and not fully disengaging.

Anyway, I took the car out last Thursday to a local car GTG and lost my 2nd gear synchro while just driving with traffic (no abuse).

Now I have bought new tranny to be installed with my Exedy twin disk. Hopefully, this clutch will handle stop and go traffic which is where I spend most of my time.

Maybe I just got two bad ones, but I hate seeing posts that say "No need to worry about clutch issues anymore" because you never know.

BTW- George at McLeod has really been a good sport about all of this, and has bent over backwards to make thing right.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is honestly the first bad post on the McLeod twinny I have ever seen. The Corvette guys absolutely love them! I would go that route if I had $1300 to throw at a clutch job.

If you go RAM I would not waste the extra money on the VSD over the Powergrip Stage 4 + flywheel. All the VSD adds is shims to be able to vary the PP engagement pressure to control tire spin @ launch and to change a the disk wears.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Reboot
Dream on!

I smoked a Mcleod single disk N/A with only two track passes on DR's.
I upgraded to a to a twin disk and one of the fingers went bad while still in the break-in phase (64 miles total). We swapped that twin for another and replaced all of the hydraulics (master included). After the careful 500 miles break-in the car wouldn't shift above 6000rpms. We re-bled the system and found no air. We tried it again without success. The clutch grabs at the top of the peddle but the cars tires will rotate slightly with the peddle one centimeter off of the floor. My guess is the disk is warped and not fully disengaging.

Anyway, I took the car out last Thursday to a local car GTG and lost my 2nd gear synchro while just driving with traffic (no abuse).

Now I have bought new tranny to be installed with my Exedy twin disk. Hopefully, this clutch will handle stop and go traffic which is where I spend most of my time.

Maybe I just got two bad ones, but I hate seeing posts that say "No need to worry about clutch issues anymore" because you never know.

BTW- George at McLeod has really been a good sport about all of this, and has bent over backwards to make thing right.
I had an issue with my street twin when I had it originally installed by someone else. They did not shim the plates properly and clutch worked like ****.

I took it upon myself to figure it out and re-shimmed the floater and the flexplate and since then the clutch has not missed a beat in the last 3 years.

The strret twin is the freindliest steetable clutch that can take alot of power that I have seen. IMO.

Roman
Old 05-17-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

The thing that worries me the most about the twins is bleeding that damn master cyl, so many posts about people having issues bleeding the mcleod master where as the RAM works with a stock adjustable master. You can even get one of these pre bled.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike K.
The thing that worries me the most about the twins is bleeding that damn master cyl, so many posts about people having issues bleeding the mcleod master where as the RAM works with a stock adjustable master. You can even get one of these pre bled.
That is why I had someone do mine that had already installed 6-8 Street Twins. I would not have wanted to tackle it myself.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:43 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike K.
The clutch come shimmed and pre-assembled from McLeod. My mechanic has done many twin disk installs and labels the shims so they always end up installed in their oringinal location.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:32 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

9.58 @ 141.7mph, enuff said just under approx. 800 rwhp, no slip what so ever!!!

McLeod ocks, so does their customer service ! thanks to George and Les for their support
Old 05-19-2004, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

so this is the McLeod STREET twin that everybody is using. Its good for everyday driving? thunder racing has the set for $200 then the first post on the page.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

My vote is in the Exedy camp as well. I only run the stage 3 single disc which is good to around 600-700 depending on use but most of the owners in the C5 world are going to the Exedy twin (upto 1000) on the big hp cars. All I can say is WOW!! It was a little on the pricey side but I want to do the job right and once. I have alot invested in motor work to be ruined by a clutch that won't hold or has driveability issues. The exedy not only was considerably lighter, it is spun balanced to 15k rpms, and did it make a difference in the shifting. The low inertia setup really help smooth out the notchy shifting I had previous. Exedy all the way.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Default Matt try this

Originally Posted by mattz06
summit has the mcleod twin disc for $1299 with adj. master cyl.

what about the t/o bearing/slave? use my stock z06 stuff?

I am leaning toward the mcleod twin disc

Twin Disc Assmebly Includes:
-Street Twin Pressure Plate
-Street Twin Disc
-Master Cylinder
-Steel Flywheel
Hello Matt! I have a brand new Mcleod LS1 dual disk corvette clutch. Everything is brand new:pressure plate,disks,floater and the catch is the one I have has an aluminum flywheel instead of steel. The unit comes with a Mcleod adjustable master cylinder as well. I will let everything go for $950. If you are interested for pics or inquiries, email me at partyboysmh@yahoo.com. Later!
Old 05-22-2004, 08:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

The guys in this thread dont seem so keen on the twin.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/174316-mcloed-twin-disc-goes-up-smoke.html

I have a street twin in my rover v8 twin turbo, and I cant fault it. When I convert to a TT LS1, I also intend using a Street twin.

Quick Reply: mcleod twin disk or ram vds 900 for 650RWHP?