Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick Master Cylinder killing my slaves??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 12:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I just found the list of them. Sorry!!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this is weird, for my "A" measurement, I got ~ 2 5/16" and for "B" I got ~ 1 15/16". now I admit I am using a tape measure so the numbers aren't exact, but that is a lot of space left (3/8") and one shim wont cover the distance. Is there a problem using the magnum trans with the oem replacement bellhousing?
Old 06-24-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a 3 pack of shims in the mail already so I can cover the distance if I can use multiple shims (stacking them). Also, before I took the tranny back out I noticed that the black plastic piece on the TOB was pretty close to bottoming out against the front of the slave cylinder plate. Should it be all the way seated in a correctly working application?
Old 06-26-2014, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I have my shims now so I will try again to get this hydraulic system up and running. I will update the thread once I have some results.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Good luck with it, I had to install the shim Spec supplied with their clutch kit after measuring the clearance.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hello guys, after installing the thickest slave shim and bleeding the clutch, i noticed the slave had not blown and leaked fluid. I almost didn't believe it and wiped my eyes several times to see if I was awake or not. Well, it's not leaking from the rod, but it does have a little bit of a leak from the rear of the slave where the shim is. I still had a good bit of tension in the pedal so I am not stressing it. I absolutely love the speed bleeder too btw. Now I want to thank all of the people who told me over and over to just measure the damn clearance lol. Thanks to tick for always taking the time to work out issues with their customers!
Old 07-05-2014, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had created the thread referenced earlier regarding running a Tick MS/McLeod RXT combo. I'd consider switching out masters to the stock unit, bleed, and see where you're at. Obviously replace the master as well, and if you don't have a speed bleeder, God help you.

I have a tough time accepting that the Tick unit could potentially push too much fluid, given it's adjustability capacities. Granted, the unit is effing enormous compared to the stocker, which is why I'd almost think it'd be worth it to swap masters and see, if only for the hell of it. Sure beats the hell out of dropping the transmission again, right?

I'm about to order my RXT, and I'm STILL torn about ditching my Tick. I love that damn thing.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
I'm about to order my RXT, and I'm STILL torn about ditching my Tick. I love that damn thing.
This was Billys response to your thread about larger MC for the RXT/RST, post #9

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-rxt-come.html

“As far as large bore master cylinder are concerned we recommend factory hydraulics both master and slave. The pressure plate was designed around the stroke of the factory master and slave combination. When you introduce large bore master cylinders such as our McLeod 13/16" or Tick 7/8" this makes the slave cylinder travel farther which can over center the pressure plate causing the discs to prematurely burn up.”

and when I emailed Billy asking if this applied to LT1 "Street Twin" this was his reply

"Yes the “original Street twin” for 1993-97 LT-1 Camaro is a completely different animal and does require a larger bore master cylinder.

That is why they are included with that specific kit.

The RST/RXT pressure plate is designed with the factory hydraulics stroke of .440” in mind, thus requiring factory master & slave to be used for proper operation."
Old 07-05-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had created the thread referenced earlier regarding running a Tick MS/McLeod RXT combo. I'd consider switching out masters to the stock unit, bleed, and see where you're at. Obviously replace the master as well, and if you don't have a speed bleeder, God help you.

I have a tough time accepting that the Tick unit could potentially push too much fluid, given it's adjustability capacities. Granted, the unit is effing enormous compared to the stocker, which is why I'd almost think it'd be worth it to swap masters and see, if only for the hell of it. Sure beats the hell out of dropping the transmission again, right?

Exactly, many people use the tick and mcleod combo. theres no issue as LONG as it is adjusted properly. Bily brings up a very good point in the sense that yes with the tick it can be over extended and was designed to work with the factory master. However the tick can be adjusted to even flow less fluid than stock. follow their adjustment directions and it'll be fine

Originally Posted by ******
This was Billys response to your thread about larger MC for the RXT/RST, post #9

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-rxt-come.html

“As far as large bore master cylinder are concerned we recommend factory hydraulics both master and slave. The pressure plate was designed around the stroke of the factory master and slave combination. When you introduce large bore master cylinders such as our McLeod 13/16" or Tick 7/8" this makes the slave cylinder travel farther which can over center the pressure plate causing the discs to prematurely burn up.”

and when I emailed Billy asking if this applied to LT1 "Street Twin" this was his reply

"Yes the “original Street twin” for 1993-97 LT-1 Camaro is a completely different animal and does require a larger bore master cylinder.

That is why they are included with that specific kit.

The RST/RXT pressure plate is designed with the factory hydraulics stroke of .440” in mind, thus requiring factory master & slave to be used for proper operation."
Old 07-07-2014, 08:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1TA
Hello guys, after installing the thickest slave shim and bleeding the clutch, i noticed the slave had not blown and leaked fluid. I almost didn't believe it and wiped my eyes several times to see if I was awake or not. Well, it's not leaking from the rod, but it does have a little bit of a leak from the rear of the slave where the shim is. I still had a good bit of tension in the pedal so I am not stressing it. I absolutely love the speed bleeder too btw. Now I want to thank all of the people who told me over and over to just measure the damn clearance lol. Thanks to tick for always taking the time to work out issues with their customers!
Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad we were able to get you straightened out!!!

We will sell you a 3/4" bore Tilton cylinder that is the same diameter as the factory cylinder.

This allows you to keep our robust master cylinder unit in place, still allows full adjustment of the pedal and will not over extend your pressure plate.

Quick Reply: Tick Master Cylinder killing my slaves??