Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Lou's short stick or the hurst short stick and knob

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lou's short stick or the hurst short stick and ****

On eBay there is a hurst shortened stick with a white ball for 65 dollars which seems well worth it. I'm between that and a Lou's short stick. Either way I'll get the white ball but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this hurst shortened stick. Looks awesome and helps me maintain the factory hurst look.

Is the Lou's short stick that much better? No difference? Let me know!
Old 07-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Teching In

<non-sponsor link removed>

This is the one I want

Last edited by wssix99; 07-20-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

link doesnt work
Old 07-20-2014, 07:26 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

Please read our site policies before posting links to non-sponsors.

I have Lou's and it has a bend in it, which has worked out really well for me over the past 15 years. I recall that some Hurst sticks do not have the bend.

I think more folks here will have something to say about the Hurst shifter. (Not all they make are befitting of the company's halo.) Which model of shifter is it?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this the short stick you're looking at?

I've had both the Lou's and the Hurst short stick in the picture. In fact, I'm still running that one. I prefer this one because it uses the smaller ball. I also think it looks really good. Since this picture I've gone to the black ball, but I have another white one I might put on soon. Neither one feels all that bad, nor do they really feel much different, besides the ball size. Mine is also on a factory Hurst shifter, if that makes any difference.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Policy is bull that you can't post a link to a part. Yes the hurst you have is the exact one. Looks great. I'm wondering how the feel is any different if at all. Does it shorten the throw? If not I'll save for a pro 5.0 or a mgw.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Nick Blake
Policy is bull
Welcome to the site. The policy is not bull.

We have many sponsors here who offer these parts. They pay the bills and keep the site up for all of us. When you post links for non-sponsored products, you:

- Are publicizing products that compete with our sponsors.
- You are giving away free advertising.

^ Neither of the above is a good thing.

You can talk about any part/product you want. Just do the extra homework and post links to the manufacturers' pages. (Or those of our sponsors.)
Old 07-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've never tried Lou's so can't speak to that. I used one from a person that was on here many years ago and it is (was) similar to the Hurst. I swapped it out and got one from UMI. It has a bend and I've had it on the car for the past 10 years or so.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Welcome to the site. The policy is not bull.

We have many sponsors here who offer these parts. They pay the bills and keep the site up for all of us. When you post links for non-sponsored products, you:

- Are publicizing products that compete with our sponsors.
- You are giving away free advertising.

^ Neither of the above is a good thing.

You can talk about any part/product you want. Just do the extra homework and post links to the manufacturers' pages. (Or those of our sponsors.)
I understand what you're getting at but there isn't a sponsor for every single part out there. It is competition and I understand that but for my link to get pulled wouldn't you think it'd make more sense to counter it with the same part from here? That way I can support the website rather than simply be told I can't discuss something for sale? I'm not trying to advertise. I'm trying to get opinions. Thank you.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OhTwo
I've never tried Lou's so can't speak to that. I used one from a person that was on here many years ago and it is (was) similar to the Hurst. I swapped it out and got one from UMI. It has a bend and I've had it on the car for the past 10 years or so.
Is the bend more desirable than the straight stick in that pic?
Old 07-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the bend is a significant improvement as it angles the shifter more toward the driver improving the way it feels. I'm sure others have their opinion but after using both you can see from my previous post that I haven't gone back to a straight shifter.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:24 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Nick Blake
It is competition and I understand that but for my link to get pulled wouldn't you think it'd make more sense to counter it with the same part from here?
No. If you would post links in the first place that abide by the site rules, that would make the most sense. The salary you get to post here is much higher than mine!

All you have to do is go one additional step and find the manufacturer for the product you want to discuss. (Or post a product link from one of our site sponsors.)
Old 07-29-2014, 10:18 PM
Teching In

I'm not advertising. I'm here to discuss on the forums. I will not post a non sponsor link again. I appreciate you're persistence and understand your job here. I'm just trying to be a member of the community. Help me better it, I simply didn't know. Nothing more.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OhTwo
I think the bend is a significant improvement as it angles the shifter more toward the driver improving the way it feels. I'm sure others have their opinion but after using both you can see from my previous post that I haven't gone back to a straight shifter.
Any chance there's a package with that hurst ball? I'm trying to stick to the hurst ball because I still want to look semi factory! How would it perform in comparison to an mgw?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:31 PM
Save the manuals!

Didn't the factory Hurst shifters come with the leather "H" pistol grip? I had a ball on for a while but switched to the leather **** and love it.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Didn't the factory Hurst shifters come with the leather "H" pistol grip? I had a ball on for a while but switched to the leather **** and love it.
Yes, they did. Mine had it. The stick in the picture is not entirely straight. Nor is the Lou's. They both are bent toward the rear. The Lou's uses the large 16mm thread ball. I didn't like the feel of that one, so I went to the Hurst which uses the small 7/16" thread ball. I like how that feels in my hand more than the large one. With the short throw shifter that's in the car, I really don't have to move my elbow when I'm shifting. It's a flick of the wrist, really. I have a Pro 5.0 that I've been debating installing, but I'm comfortable with how it is right now.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zbugger
Yes, they did. Mine had it. The stick in the picture is not entirely straight. Nor is the Lou's. They both are bent toward the rear. The Lou's uses the large 16mm thread ball. I didn't like the feel of that one, so I went to the Hurst which uses the small 7/16" thread ball. I like how that feels in my hand more than the large one. With the short throw shifter that's in the car, I really don't have to move my elbow when I'm shifting. It's a flick of the wrist, really. I have a Pro 5.0 that I've been debating installing, but I'm comfortable with how it is right now.
Happy to hear both of your responses. If they're both angled I'm gonna go with the hurst stick and ball simply because it sticks to the "hurst" I do have the factory leather knobby but I'm not a big fan. I like the contrast of the white and the embedment. So if the difference between Lou's and the hurst isn't night and day it's on my list of orders for the next week!

I'm not positive which shifter my car had but id like to say pro 5.0 (my previous. Z28) I bought the car with probably 5k into it before but I sold it before I relocated to Washington and now I'm sitting in a 100k flat bone stock SS 2001. It rides like a boat in comparison to all the mods I had prior and now it's time to get the ball rolling on my new one. I'm hoping to get heads can this winter and headers done next month. As for you guys I appreciate all the responses! Very helpful. I'm thinking my next two mods will be torque arm and headers after the shifter. What do you think?!

Quick Reply: Lou's short stick or the hurst short stick and knob