Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Short shifter options for a drift car

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short shifter options for a drift car

Hello all

I've searched a lot for a short shifter for my T56. I can't seem to find an exact answer. I'm very new to the LS1 game and all, and have always been with Japanese cars. I have a 240SX and basically just want a awesome shifter. I had a B&M on my car and loved it a lot, but now I'm onto a different transmission with a lot more options.

I'm trying to find a shifter that will be an awesome short shifter and make my life finding gears a lot easier. While drifting you are constantly between 2nd gear, 3rd gear, and 4th gear. I want to have a great shifter that'll do its just. I've done a lot of searching and can't seem to find a solid all around one.

The main ones I've noticed that are popular:

B&M Ripper
Hurst Billet
Pro 5.0
MGW

I really don't know which one to go between. Some input would be awesome and hopefully I can run into someone that may have this in their drift car.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:07 AM
TECH Resident

I'm not sure whats really best for drifting, but when it comes to good shifting in general the general consensus on this forum is that MGW beats all. And I agree cause mine is freakin great.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
I'm not sure whats really best for drifting, but when it comes to good shifting in general the general consensus on this forum is that MGW beats all. And I agree cause mine is freakin great.
It seems like that. I'm in such a big debate between the Hurst Billet and the MGW and I'm about to order one this weekend. So I'm trying to end this debate soon.

I'll probably end up with the MGW shifter. My main importance with short shifters is how good shifting will be with accuracy. I want to make sure that when I shift from gear to gear, that I'm shifting in that desired gear and not any gear I don't want to be in
Old 12-20-2014, 06:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wolfgaang
It seems like that. I'm in such a big debate between the Hurst Billet and the MGW and I'm about to order one this weekend. So I'm trying to end this debate soon.

I'll probably end up with the MGW shifter. My main importance with short shifters is how good shifting will be with accuracy. I want to make sure that when I shift from gear to gear, that I'm shifting in that desired gear and not any gear I don't want to be in
The MGW shifters feel as if they click into place on shifts, it's pretty neat. Go with the MGW you won't regret it.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I would say B&M. I have cars with an MGW and B&M. The MGW is great, but the gates are EXTREMELY close. That's why I have the B&M on my road race car. Gates are slightly farther apart (still quick throws) and that allows me to concentrate on throwing the car around without wondering if I downshifted into the wrong gear. Food for thought since most guys in here are the straight line type, and just want to run up the gears quickly.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't take my post as a knock on MGW also. It's a high quality piece, and it does shift nicely. However, I think something like the B&M would suit your needs much better based upon how your car is used. When the car is slinging around a track, you don't have time to focus on whether or not you hit the right gear.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I would also factor in where the trans sits in the car.

ie, how close is the box to your hand, and how short will this make the stick ?

The trans is pretty close to me in my car, so trans to hand is fairly short. If you opt for a shifter designed with a high pivot point, and hence for you a very short stick, the gate will feel terrible and very close together.

I had a B&M in mine for years, stick cut/welded to suit and it was great.

But for other reasons, I recently bought a Pro5...it didnt fix what I was trying to resolve, but on it the movement across the gate was very small. Not what I wanted at all.

I actually refitted the factory standard shifter and TBH it feels great lol. Much better spring from left to centre too than either of the two shifters.
Although the B&M seemed to have best spring in both directions, standard one seems to struggle right to centre on mine

A shift rod or something must be slightly bent in the box though.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

After a year of having it the closeness of the gates feels normal to me and shifting properly with it is second nature. I've never done road racing or drifting though and they made great points above about the intended use. Something with slightly more spread out gates might suit you better, but I think it also depends a lot on the individual driver preference as in addition to the car's intended use.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:02 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had MGW's in my FBodies, and now my Vette, and we all know where the Trans is in a Vette... The other shifters mentioned aren't even in the same league (my opinion).

As stated, it literally snaps right where you want it. Also MGW's customer service is excellent to say the least.

Any chance you're close to anyone and can try a few different ones out? Just an idea.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Definitely agree with all you guys. If I had millions of dollars I would buy them all and test them out hahahahaha but that would be pointless.

At some point it's almost preference amongst the driver, and I can say that drifting and shifting is very similar to a road racing environment. I've thought about the Hurst Billet recently because the longer shifter, but I'm still stuck on what to get. I don't know at this point, but I'm still open to advice! You guys are awesome

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2014, 11:43 AM
9 Second Club

Definitely agree with all you guys. If I had millions of dollars I would buy them all and test them out hahahahaha but that would be pointless.

At some point it's almost preference amongst the driver, and I can say that drifting and shifting is very similar to a road racing environment. I've thought about the Hurst Billet recently because the longer shifter, but I'm still stuck on what to get. I don't know at this point, but I'm still open to advice! You guys are awesome

Thanks!
Again length of shifter you see in a picture means **** all.

If the physical install in your car doesnt lend itself to a long stick, then it will never have a long stick. So a shifter with a high pivot point and short stick will be terrible.

Do you have any shifter in the car at all yet ?
Old 12-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Again length of shifter you see in a picture means **** all.

If the physical install in your car doesnt lend itself to a long stick, then it will never have a long stick. So a shifter with a high pivot point and short stick will be terrible.

Do you have any shifter in the car at all yet ?

As of now the motor is outside of the car with the transmission attached. It's 2004 GTO LS1 dropout with a GTO T56. I had to get a linkage switched out so the shifter can sit better in the car, and I must use a F-Body shifter for the swap to workout well.

I've driven a B&M shifter in my buddies E36 M3, but barely remember how it felt. I feel as if I might head to MGW for a shifter from all the good feedback I've had. If I don't like it, I'll have it up here for sale.

Also, whatever shifter I end up going with....I'll post a nice review on it. You guys have been awesome but it's sooooooo hard to explain how a shifter is because that's mostly personal preference. I've just been looking for a general answer and it seems MGW might be my best bet, but who knows...I might switch to a Hurst Billet last minute.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:07 PM
9 Second Club

As of now the motor is outside of the car with the transmission attached. It's 2004 GTO LS1 dropout with a GTO T56. I had to get a linkage switched out so the shifter can sit better in the car, and I must use a F-Body shifter for the swap to workout well.

I've driven a B&M shifter in my buddies E36 M3, but barely remember how it felt. I feel as if I might head to MGW for a shifter from all the good feedback I've had. If I don't like it, I'll have it up here for sale.

Also, whatever shifter I end up going with....I'll post a nice review on it. You guys have been awesome but it's sooooooo hard to explain how a shifter is because that's mostly personal preference. I've just been looking for a general answer and it seems MGW might be my best bet, but who knows...I might switch to a Hurst Billet last minute.
If it's a GTO trans, and you want to use an F Body shifter, you need to change the shift cup bit the stick goes into in the trans otherwise it wont work.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i haven't tried any of the others, but i had a Pro5.0 with Lou's Short Stick in my car, and it was nice & solid, and clicked into place really well when changing gears. it also has the adjustable stop bolts that you can set to prevent damaging anything that would normally be damaged when powershifting, you can really get forceful with it and it won't hurt a thing (at least not from just the act of overextending the shifter itself, since the stop bolts prevent that from happening).

it's a really solid, well-built unit, too.

on a side note, i'd recommend that when you swap out the shifter cup, that you use a nice heavy-duty bronze cup instead of the shitty plastic stock one...i did that when i had my trans partially rebuilt, and it feels way, way better....feels far more solid to me than the plastic ones, with less play/wobble.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If it's a GTO trans, and you want to use an F Body shifter, you need to change the shift cup bit the stick goes into in the trans otherwise it wont work.
I actually just changed it out a few hours ago!

02Z28LS1----- I got the F body piece in, however, I haven't looked into that piece you just talked about. I'll definitely look into it now while I have everything apart. Thanks for the input, super useful and I'll definitely be going that route.

guppymech---- Not a bad idea at all. MGW is going to be the route. I will hopefully be ordering it tomorrow on my second day off this week. I'm pretty stoked to see how it'll feel. I'll also ask them about it, but from what I've reviewed in the pics....It might be long enough. So hopefully I should be happy with it.

All in all, if I don't like it.......I'll be purchasing a Hurst Billet next or a Pro 5.0

Quick Reply: Short shifter options for a drift car