Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW Shifter is off center?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGW Shifter is off center?

Anyone who has an mgw shifter have this issue?? The lever holder (for lack of better words is adjusted facing me, so i know thats not the issue.. Maybe a build defect?

Also noticed my shifts are very notchy with difficulty getting into reverse..

Trans is an mn12 t56 from an 05 GTO

Here you'll see the adjustments I noted earlier

Here's the problem

Last edited by XDeath; 02-04-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Added pictures...

Could it also be the fact that i just added a prothane poly trans mount?
Old 02-04-2015, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks just like mine does.

As for the notchy-ness it's probably just due to it being new. After a couple weeks you'll break it in and it'll loosen up.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would see if those specs on the trans are the same. It may be because the MN12 has a different shift selector in the rear housing than the MM6 which came in our car. I would look it up further there though. Your poly mounts should have no effect on the location. Mine sits in pretty evenly throughout the center of the console.

Last edited by 2000Hawk#317; 02-04-2015 at 07:16 PM. Reason: just adding info.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:34 PM
Mgw

Your issue is you bought an fbody shifter for a gto transmission I fear...unless you also purchased the adapter to convert it to an fbody it will not work....you may want to check on this as I don't know if you can damage the transmission....

George from mgw

Last edited by Mgw; 02-05-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mgw
Your issue is you bought an fbody shifter for a gto transmission I fear...unless you also purchased the adapter to convert it to an fbody it will not work....you may want to check on this as I don't know if you can damage the transmission....

George from mgw
Hmm... Shouldn't be a problem.. Fbody and GTO transmissions are actually the same exterior wise except for the stock shifter, shifter cup/lever and bellhousing.

When you say adpater, do you mean the offset shifter cup/lever that came in the gto tranny? Because I've changed that already.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mgw

George from mgw
Also, i was looking at these handles you guys have

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_shifter.shtml

Could i just buy your race handle and make the **** atleast face me? I find myself shifting into the wrong gear sometimes with the position its in already, so anything you can recommend that would either center it of make it face me would be best..
Old 02-09-2015, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by XDeath
Also, i was looking at these handles you guys have

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_shifter.shtml

Could i just buy your race handle and make the **** atleast face me? I find myself shifting into the wrong gear sometimes with the position its in already, so anything you can recommend that would either center it of make it face me would be best..
When I bought my MGW shifter, I also bought their composite race **** to go with it. You have to buy the Mustang composite race ****, but it's compatible with the F-Body MGW shifter. With the composite race ****, you can adjust the **** to be turned however you like it before you tighten it down. Maybe try that.

I will also add that my MGW shifter is also really notchy, but I attribute that to it not being broke in yet, and there will probably always be a level of "notchiness" to the shifter. I have no issue finding reverse however.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My MGW is also off center but doesn't bug me at all. Its a bit notchy but not as bad as the B&M. I've only driven it a couple if times. So after a few more days it should feel even better. I just have the old school looking white **** on there. I spun the **** on the stick then pisitioned the stick were the **** was in the right direction, tighten the 2 bolts on the stick to the base shifter and then pulled the boot down all the way. I thought I would need to cut the stick but it sat lower then my cut B&M so I was happy with the hieght.

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter is off center?