Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just pulled the trigger on Monster LT1-S with Tick Hydraulics

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It says not to use an adjustable master cylinder, but it's okay to use one? Can anyone clear that up for me?
Old 04-05-2015, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by whatsa347
It says not to use an adjustable master cylinder, but it's okay to use one? Can anyone clear that up for me?
you can run an adjustable master with the LT1 series clutches...the other twin they sell is the one you can't run an adjustable master with. Im running my LT1-s with a tick master and it works great.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
Thats pretty typical of spec, i got about 8k easy street miles out of mine
Stage 3 and about 350hp
Old 04-05-2015, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the vendors don't recommend the adjustable with the twin discs but I asked Steve about this and he said the LT1 series is totally fine with the adjustable. Just not their race series discs, however the adjustable will most likely add about 30% to the pedal.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
Stage 3 and about 350hp
That is ridiculous, that even their stage 3 didn't hold up. Did you have it shimmed correctly because I'm assuming that is what was wrong with the 2+ that was in previously.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
you can run an adjustable master with the LT1 series clutches...the other twin they sell is the one you can't run an adjustable master with. Im running my LT1-s with a tick master and it works great.
Have you take your LT1-s to the track? How is street driving? ( I don't know why I care, I have almost full suspension and a spool )
Old 04-06-2015, 11:50 AM
FormerVendor

The LT1-XX series twins can use an adjustable master, the Green billet twins can not.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this and had to come in here and say two things.

1. My first aftermarket clutch was a Spec Stage III. I don't think made it to 10k miles. It had 3 track passes and that was it. On the street I treated it like a baby. At the time I was in college and put the stock clutch back in (yes I know), and it worked BETTER until I was able to save up and get something that could handle the power. Spec didn't do anything to try to help me out either. Needless to say, it was the last time I ever did business with them.

2. My something better was a Monster clutch. This thing is a champ. No problems on a boosted LS1 I love the green pressure plate too!
Old 04-06-2015, 03:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Hot Karl

1. My first aftermarket clutch was a Spec Stage III. I don't think made it to 10k miles. It had 3 track passes and that was it. On the street I treated it like a baby. At the time I was in college and put the stock clutch back in (yes I know), and it worked BETTER until I was able to save up and get something that could handle the power. Spec didn't do anything to try to help me out either. Needless to say, it was the last time I ever did business with them.

2. My something better was a Monster clutch. This thing is a champ. No problems on a boosted LS1 I love the green pressure plate too!
Thanks for the kind words!
Old 04-06-2015, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Monster makes a good product, nice to see you're in the mustang crowd as well. Wasn't too fond of my DFX in my cobra. I've never needed to use my warranty so I can't comment on customer service, but that's a good thing.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My Spec 2+ has 29k miles on it and is still holding strong in the lower gears, but started slipping a little in 5th or 6th about 2k miles ago......i guess it has been a pretty good one overall, along with the Tick master cyl....it took me from bolt-ons to cam only 401rwhp and saw mostly hard street miles with a few track passes when I was still on the 10 bolt rear.....that being said, I think i just got lucky......i wouldn't buy another Spec, my next one will be either a Monster ceramic race 11" or the LT1s....congrats on the new clutch OP, I'll be looking forward to hear what you think about it.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:09 PM
FormerVendor

Monster makes a good product, nice to see you're in the mustang crowd as well. Wasn't too fond of my DFX in my cobra. I've never needed to use my warranty so I can't comment on customer service, but that's a good thing.
Thanks for the post! We have quite a few Monsters in Mustangs now, and we are in the process of releasing a line of twin disc clutches for those guys as well.

Originally Posted by jc98ss
My Spec 2+ has 29k miles on it and is still holding strong in the lower gears, but started slipping a little in 5th or 6th about 2k miles ago......i guess it has been a pretty good one overall, along with the Tick master cyl....it took me from bolt-ons to cam only 401rwhp and saw mostly hard street miles with a few track passes when I was still on the 10 bolt rear.....that being said, I think i just got lucky......i wouldn't buy another Spec, my next one will be either a Monster ceramic race 11" or the LT1s....congrats on the new clutch OP, I'll be looking forward to hear what you think about it.
Let us know when your ready!!!
Old 04-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Many on here have had the same experience, including myself. Definitely wish they stood behind their product a bit more than they do.

Awesome to hear, looking forward to getting through the 500 mile break in period and actually testing this thing out

Originally Posted by jc98ss
Thank you very much! I'll be posting up soon to give everyone an update after the install. Just found out my order shipped so I'll hopefully have it in about a week or so.

In the meantime, while everything is a part, I'm prepping the car by re-doing the rear main seal and housing. Anyone willing off tips/best practices or best brand gasket to use? Fel-Pro has mixed reviews, not sure who GM uses to make their gaskets, and there is Victor Reinz? I just really don't want to replace a non-leaking rear main with something that will start leaking.

A New GM OPSU and I read about venting the bell-housing on this thread to help extend the life of the clutch and removing dust: https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ur-clutch.html

Anyone here do this or have experience with this?

It seems very mixed between DON'T cut the bell-housing and others who said it shouldn't matter. This car isn't a daily and won't see rain so I'm not worried about water getting splashed up into the bell-housing, but I would like a way to vent the clutch, remove clutch dust to hopefully extend the slave's life as well as the rear main's life so that all the clutch dust isn't getting inside and breaking the seals down. I also am not ready to spend $500 on an aftermarket bell-housing.

I really appreciate the help/advice and will hopefully be getting the car prepped this week for the install this weekend or early next week, I will continue to keep you all updated!
Old 04-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Teching In

You're going to love that clutch. I put the LT1-SC and Tick master cylinder in my GTO (720whp) and it is awsome. I switched from a Textralia when I put in my new engine and it is a night and day difference.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:28 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Mike04GTO
You're going to love that clutch. I put the LT1-SC and Tick master cylinder in my GTO (720whp) and it is awsome. I switched from a Textralia when I put in my new engine and it is a night and day difference.
Glad to hear you are enjoying your Monster.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SMR#002
Have you take your LT1-s to the track? How is street driving? ( I don't know why I care, I have almost full suspension and a spool )
Unfortunately i live in hawaii and the island im on doesn't have a track. As far as street driving it's great, drives like a stock clutch once it's broken in but you can tell it grabs alot better.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:56 AM
FormerVendor

Unfortunately i live in hawaii and the island im on doesn't have a track. As far as street driving it's great, drives like a stock clutch once it's broken in but you can tell it grabs alot better.
Great to hear that you are enjoying the LT1-S!!
Old 04-14-2015, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blu06R1
Many on here have had the same experience, including myself. Definitely wish they stood behind their product a bit more than they do.

Awesome to hear, looking forward to getting through the 500 mile break in period and actually testing this thing out

Thank you very much! I'll be posting up soon to give everyone an update after the install. Just found out my order shipped so I'll hopefully have it in about a week or so.

In the meantime, while everything is a part, I'm prepping the car by re-doing the rear main seal and housing. Anyone willing off tips/best practices or best brand gasket to use? Fel-Pro has mixed reviews, not sure who GM uses to make their gaskets, and there is Victor Reinz? I just really don't want to replace a non-leaking rear main with something that will start leaking.

A New GM OPSU and I read about venting the bell-housing on this thread to help extend the life of the clutch and removing dust: https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ur-clutch.html

Anyone here do this or have experience with this?

It seems very mixed between DON'T cut the bell-housing and others who said it shouldn't matter. This car isn't a daily and won't see rain so I'm not worried about water getting splashed up into the bell-housing, but I would like a way to vent the clutch, remove clutch dust to hopefully extend the slave's life as well as the rear main's life so that all the clutch dust isn't getting inside and breaking the seals down. I also am not ready to spend $500 on an aftermarket bell-housing.

I really appreciate the help/advice and will hopefully be getting the car prepped this week for the install this weekend or early next week, I will continue to keep you all updated!
Last year I pulled the motor and replaced all the seals. My suggestion would be to get a proper alignment tool. I believe you can but the entire rear main cover and it comes with the rear main seal and the metal gasket (you need to confirm this though). I just replaced all of it.

I know some people don't worry much about getting an alignment tool or finding cheaper methods, but I'd rather do everything I can to make sure it's right. I thought of how pissed off I would have been if it was leaking, and that made the decision easy. It doesn't make sense to go through all that trouble and not go that one little extra step.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Last year I pulled the motor and replaced all the seals. My suggestion would be to get a proper alignment tool. I believe you can but the entire rear main cover and it comes with the rear main seal and the metal gasket (you need to confirm this though). I just replaced all of it.

I know some people don't worry much about getting an alignment tool or finding cheaper methods, but I'd rather do everything I can to make sure it's right. I thought of how pissed off I would have been if it was leaking, and that made the decision easy. It doesn't make sense to go through all that trouble and not go that one little extra step.
I wish I knew about that alignment tool. I took the cover off so I could do the rear main while it was apart. I think it makes it easier to get the seal in straight and u damaged. However, after I did it, I have a leak where the cover meets the oil pan. I've been jus living with it, but I do believe Karl is giving you good advise
Old 04-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I wish I knew about that alignment tool. I took the cover off so I could do the rear main while it was apart. I think it makes it easier to get the seal in straight and u damaged. However, after I did it, I have a leak where the cover meets the oil pan. I've been jus living with it, but I do believe Karl is giving you good advise
Thanks guys - I was looking at the alignment tools - and while the Saccitycorvettes tool looks really good - I can't justify $40 for a plastic circle. I'm planning on using the 4" PVC Pipe cap method found on this thread - https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fab...all-tools.html

I figure that should work enough as an alignment tool, does anyone have a preference on brand gasket?

I'll also be using Hi-Temp RTV for the seal between housing and oil pan in an attempt to not have any leaks.

Lastly my Tick Hydraulics made it in today so hopefully the clutch will get here soon and I can get her back on the road soon, and update you all with this install.

Quick Reply: Just pulled the trigger on Monster LT1-S with Tick Hydraulics