Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 noise, rattle, grind (video)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T56 noise, rattle, grind (video)

Just looking for some suggestions if possible.

Usually while driving, I'll notice an unpleasant noise that occurs most as I shift into 2d gear and also 3d gear.

This video below I took while in my garage, the car not moving and the clutch pressed in at all times. To get the noise to occur, I usually have to increase RPMs.

My initial thought was maybe my throw out bearing was making the noise. Then I considered the pilot bearing. But recently, I also had an issue where the transmission would not shift into gear. I looked at my clutch fluid and noticed it was black. After bleeding the clutch with new fluid, it shifted better, but I started getting this noise. At some points in the video, it won't go into gear and it literally sounds like gears spinning at the teeth. What are your thoughts?

The car drives great by the way and there doesn't seem to be any performance issues.

Video:
Old 10-21-2015, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you revving the car up in the video? It's really hard to tell what you're doing.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blk00ss
Are you revving the car up in the video? It's really hard to tell what you're doing.
Thanks for asking the question. To get the noise to occur, I have to rev the RPMs to about 3000. That's all I'm doing with the car....clutch in, and pressing accelerator pedal until the RPMs get to about 3000, letting off the accelerator and putting it into a gear.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by leblanc1
Thanks for asking the question. To get the noise to occur, I have to rev the RPMs to about 3000. That's all I'm doing with the car....clutch in, and pressing accelerator pedal until the RPMs get to about 3000, letting off the accelerator and putting it into a gear.
I suspect the clutch is not fully disengaging and when you rev it up the flywheel and the pressure plate are dragging the disk along and causing the input shaft to spin, hence the grinding noise.

Andrew
Old 10-22-2015, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I suspect the clutch is not fully disengaging and when you rev it up the flywheel and the pressure plate are dragging the disk along and causing the input shaft to spin, hence the grinding noise.

Andrew
That's definitely a potential issue. When the clutch fluid gets contaminated with the clutch dust (turns black), the clutch essentially stops disengaging when you press the pedal in. When I've bled it and ran fresh fluid into the system, it seems to fix the issue, but this time it seems like the clutch just isn't disengaging fully.

If that's the case..what's the fix? More shim under the slave cylinder? A better bleed on the clutch?

Also, during the last bleed of the clutch, it wasn't returning to the full up position on occasion. I would have to pull it back with my toe. Is that an indication of a failing master cylinder? It doesn't do that all the time.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's definitely a potential issue. When the clutch fluid gets contaminated with the clutch dust (turns black), the clutch essentially stops disengaging when you press the pedal in. When I've bled it and ran fresh fluid into the system, it seems to fix the issue, but this time it seems like the clutch just isn't disengaging fully.

If that's the case..what's the fix? More shim under the slave cylinder? A better bleed on the clutch?

Also, during the last bleed of the clutch, it wasn't returning to the full up position on occasion. I would have to pull it back with my toe. Is that an indication of a failing master cylinder? It doesn't do that all the time.
I have never believed the hypothesis that clutch fluid gets contaminated with clutch dust. To my thinking that's just not possible. What is possible is that using the wrong fluid can attack the various seals and that turns the fluid black.

What MC are you currently using? Is this in your Chevelle?

Andrew
Old 10-22-2015, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Seals or hoses breaking down is certainly a possibility. But once I flush the fluid, shouldn't all be good to go?

I'm using a factory MC from some random donor car...I don't recall which. Yes, this is in my 68 Chevelle.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you ever get this figured out?

Andrew
Old 11-03-2015, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO

Andrew
I have not resolved this yet. I did buy a tick master cylinder and it's on the way.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have not resolved this yet. I did buy a tick master cylinder and it's on the way.

Quick Reply: T56 noise, rattle, grind (video)