Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Fresh RPM lvl V Trans w/LS7 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Fresh RPM lvl V Trans w/LS7 clutch

Just got my freshened/repaired Trans back and getting ready to bolt it up to the C5 rear end but trying to determine if this clutch is right for me
Buddy of mine owed me money and gave me this new LS7 clutch but it seems for the kind of power I will have and the driving I do may cause issues. Definitely don't wanna have to do this all over again
Car is 03 coupe full weight (3450 w/me) drag radials and 3.42 hear
Engine is new CNC 799 headed 11.4:1 368" 226/232 cam. Factory intake/air box and 1.875 headers w/3" cats
Guessing similar flywheel horsepower to a tuned LS7 but less torque
Plan is 5-7 thousand cruising miles per year but plenty of one/two speed shifts and a couple trips to the drag strip (6-8) passes. Most likely not more than 10-12 total passes per year
With factory hydraulics and vented bell housing will I be at the ragged limits of this clutch ?? Should I just sell it and get a Stg 2 Monster or LT1 twin disc ??
Thoughts from guys who have run these clutches.
Also there's a Mantic street clutch which seems attractive as well ???? IDK
Old 08-27-2016, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sell that LS7 clutch and go with a Monster, you won't regret it. I have a level 2 monster in my tbss and i love it. I debated going with a LS7 clutch when i was doing the swap but im so glad i went with the monster. I won't hesitate to get another one when the time comes.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think you'll have in issue with the LS7, but I'd go with a lt1-s setup from monster if I were to do it over again. I have no problems with my mantic er2, whatever you do get the 3/4's bore master from tick, as a guy who dd's his car rain or shine I kick myself in the *** for not going with it in the beginning everyday. I ran the monster stage 2 as well, drives the same as my mantic.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Sounds like you want this car to be enjoyable cruiser with light track duty. IMO the LS7 is the best driving/feeling clutch I've ever used (next to a factory LS1 clutch). At your power level I'd stick with the LS7 over the aftermarket. It's consistent and it behaves. I never had any slip from my LS7 and I ran it for 5 years at 400rwhp and multiple track days. If you want to get out of the LS7 then I'd stay away from Monster level 2. I've driven several and they all started to chatter after some miles. The LT1-S by Monster is a nice balance for street strip but it is not a consistent feel from shift to shift. The engagement window is small and unpredictable when warm. The LT1-S will also make a little noise from time to time when warm. Head to head I'd take the McLeod RST over my current LT1-S. Plus McLeod is a stand up group of guys. Their customer support is solid.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

I guess my true fear is that this combo will end up in that 430-440 horse at the rear range and basically endanger the universally accepted max of 450 that everyone says the LS7 taps out at.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You have to be honest with yourself about how the car will be driven. If it won't see lots of high rpm shifts and launches the ls7 will be fine. But it's heavy weight and self adjusting pressure plate is a hindrance for aggressive driving and you would be better served with something else if you will be driving it hard often.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have the clutch so you want to use it , it works better in a vette than an f body due to the hydraulic system being better in the vette , it can suck in an f body I have one and it blocks out shifts at high rpm , when it wears out I will go a different route.

Consider pairing it with a lighter flexplate since the ls1 flex isn't compatible with an ls 7 so you have to buy one anyway then you can at least get the ls7 clutch/pp/flexplate weight down to or below the stock clutch/pp/fly weight
Old 08-30-2016, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by murphinator
you have the clutch so you want to use it , it works better in a vette than an f body due to the hydraulic system being better in the vette , it can suck in an f body I have one and it blocks out shifts at high rpm , when it wears out I will go a different route.

Consider pairing it with a lighter flexplate since the ls1 flex isn't compatible with an ls 7 so you have to buy one anyway then you can at least get the ls7 clutch/pp/flexplate weight down to or below the stock clutch/pp/fly weight
Yeah doesn't TICK offer a lightened flywheel upgrade to lighten the whole rotating assembly....???
Still curious if the clamping/holding force is enough though cuz while a majority of the time I will just be cruising, However; it is a Vette with considerably more power than stock and I will be forced to pound it hard at least once every time I drive it.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

C6Z is a lot lighter than most F bodies, that's the difference, Weight stresses parts, weight promotes heat, heat destroys components. Like I said plenty of people run the LS7's here locally and have no issues, I would just go one stop further and put in a tick master 3/4's bore master, to alleviate those shifting issues that come with it.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

So I really appreciate everyone's input, and although I may be able to get by with the LS7 clutch, I've decided to go with a Mantic ER2 assembly. I've read dozens of reviews on so many different aftermarket clutches as well as this factory piece, and all it did was confuse me more. Seems that the success stories come from well thought out combinations and proper setup. That being said, I've already gotten a new GM slave cylinder and will most likely end up with a Tick master but funds are tight now. Gonna try selling this thing for 400 and perhaps can get 50-75 bucks for what's left of my factory clutch(someone in a pinch)
Some pics

Last edited by A.R. Shale Targa; 08-30-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good choice, I run the mantic in mine, I sent scotty2000SS a couple videos on how it drives. I know I sound like a broken record, TICK 3/4's MASTER. I run the 7/8's master and regret it everyday. Good little clutch, held everything I've thrown at it so far and not flinched yet.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wise choice!
Old 09-01-2016, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Had just one hell of a time trying to spend seven hundred bucks yesterday
Called and emailed several places and got one call back four hours later from ECS
I missed the call, called them right back and left a second message.....never heard from them again
Colorado Speed must have seen my number on the caller ID and decided to call me after five PM Central time, assuming they are an hour behind Wisconsin means they were still open.
He answered just a few questions, entered my order and sent me a confirmation/thank you email................DONE
The wait begins as it was apparently drop shipped from Atlanta......
Old 09-01-2016, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by branndonw
Sell that LS7 clutch and go with a Monster, you won't regret it. I have a level 2 monster in my tbss and i love it. I debated going with a LS7 clutch when i was doing the swap but im so glad i went with the monster. I won't hesitate to get another one when the time comes.
I got a monster level 3 years ago & it works great! Wore out a clutch disc, just bought a new disc still working great after several hundred passes, clutch dumps etc. & it drives like stock!
Old 09-14-2016, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

One side.

Other side

Pressure plate

Flywheel

Grooved side after anti rust crap cleaned
Old 09-14-2016, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

Well how much does one of these Mantic street clutches weigh ????
I never thought you'd ask

Under fifty pounds
Old 09-17-2016, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Whats the weight of the clutch disk ?
Old 09-18-2016, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by conan
Whats the weight of the clutch disk ?
Disc is six pounds
Flywheel is 21 lbs
Pressure plate 22.8 lbs
Old 09-19-2016, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
Disc is six pounds
Flywheel is 21 lbs
Pressure plate 22.8 lbs
Interesting, I would have guessed the disc would have been lighter. I'm curious how your shifting at high RPM goes.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

How's it going A.R.? I think you made a wise choice not to use the LS7 clutch. That's what I had in my C5 with similar flywheel horsepower, car weighed 3,130 lbs w/out driver. The LS7 worked absolutely flawless under normal and light hot-rodding duties. But once doing a couple back-to-back launches, on street tires I may add, that's where the LS7 called it quits. It needed cooling time after a single launch. Good luck pal.

Quick Reply: Fresh RPM lvl V Trans w/LS7 clutch