Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 - 5th gear lockout

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T56 - 5th gear lockout

I have a 2000 corvette, it's the standard T56, all original as far as I know. The car has a hurst short throw shifter, along with a tick master cylinder. The car engages in all gears until I try and go into 5th. It won't let it engage at all, I can try and push it to the right and up (Where 5th would be) but it's like im hitting a wall. The way to bypass this is to depress the clutch and rev the car and it will finally open up and I can get it into gear. Another way to bypass this issue is if I go into neutral, depress the clutch pedal, then back to 4th or 3rd gear (While keeping the pedal pushed in the whole time) and then eventually making my way to 5th gear and it will finally let me in. I've tried to research this issue as much as possible but everybody says they also have a grinding problem, or a issue with getting the car into reverse. I don't have any of those problems, just the sole issue of the car locking me out of 5th. . Any help would be extremely appreciated as I was just trying to sell the car and this issue has shown up. Thanks

EDIT : After thinking, could changing the trans fluid possibly help? Maybe it's very low? I probably should have mentioned that getting the car into gears/shifting can take some force, along with the fact shifting is very notchy in the car. I had just originally assumed it was the hurst short throw that is in the car. I was thinking of doing a basic shifter alignment and adding some Mobil 1 trans fluid. In hopes that something on the cheaper side could remedy my issue. Thoughts?

Last edited by Ls1Ryan2002; 02-06-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

And can you find 5th when stationary and engine off ?
Old 02-04-2018, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely the teeth are squared off on either the gear dogs, the blocker ring or the synchro if it simply wont engage
Old 02-06-2018, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
And can you find 5th when stationary and engine off ?
I have not checked that, it would go into reverse instead of 5th wouldn't it? Today after work I can go ahead and check that. I'll get back to you tomorrow
Old 02-06-2018, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KLowR6
Most likely the teeth are squared off on either the gear dogs, the blocker ring or the synchro if it simply wont engage
Is there a way to go about testing a bad blocker ring? Or if the teeth or squared off or does the trans need to be dropped from the car? I don't know if it is the syncro because it sometimes does engage, maybe it's failing... this is my first manual trans issue ive ever had so I'm not very educated with them, so excuse my lack of knowledge lol.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ls1Ryan2002
I have not checked that, it would go into reverse instead of 5th wouldn't it? Today after work I can go ahead and check that. I'll get back to you tomorrow
If you aim for 5th, it should select 5th.

If you aim for reverse, it should select reverse ( noting reverse lockout solenoid of course )

If you aim for 5th and get reverse...that is not good.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:41 PM
9 Second Club

Is there a way to go about testing a bad blocker ring? Or if the teeth or squared off or does the trans need to be dropped from the car? I don't know if it is the syncro because it sometimes does engage, maybe it's failing... this is my first manual trans issue ive ever had so I'm not very educated with them, so excuse my lack of knowledge lol.
Anything like that, then yes the trans has to come apart.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m assuming it’s your only complaint with the trans...

if you pull it from the car you only only have to remove the tail housing to fix this as the 5th, 6th and reverse gear assemblies are in that area where 1-4 is all in the main case. If you have a bad 5th gear you can realistically take the trans out, remove the housing and have the synchro, gear and blocker changed in an hour or so taking your time. It will be obvious which of these 3 is worn once you’re in there. Since it’s a full block out and not a grind I’m thinking the blocker and synchro teeth are squared off. if it was grind it’s more likely the blocker ring is not speed matching the gear for smooth engagement. If you can do brakes you could do this. Probably the hardest part is having the discipline to keep everything in order to go back on in the correct order!
Here’s a pic of the 5th and 6th gear and synchro assy from my camaro..if I remember you just have to remove disassemble the main shaft down to the 5th and 6th cluster gear and a snap ring on the shift fork to get this out to R&R
good luck buddy!

Old 02-08-2018, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If you aim for 5th, it should select 5th.

If you aim for reverse, it should select reverse ( noting reverse lockout solenoid of course )

If you aim for 5th and get reverse...that is not good.
Ok, thanks for the info, I still have not gotten to the car as of yet because of work. I should get around to the car today.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KLowR6

I’m assuming it’s your only complaint with the trans...

if you pull it from the car you only only have to remove the tail housing to fix this as the 5th, 6th and reverse gear assemblies are in that area where 1-4 is all in the main case. If you have a bad 5th gear you can realistically take the trans out, remove the housing and have the synchro, gear and blocker changed in an hour or so taking your time. It will be obvious which of these 3 is worn once you’re in there. Since it’s a full block out and not a grind I’m thinking the blocker and synchro teeth are squared off. if it was grind it’s more likely the blocker ring is not speed matching the gear for smooth engagement. If you can do brakes you could do this. Probably the hardest part is having the discipline to keep everything in order to go back on in the correct order!
Here’s a pic of the 5th and 6th gear and synchro assy from my camaro..if I remember you just have to remove disassemble the main shaft down to the 5th and 6th cluster gear and a snap ring on the shift fork to get this out to R&R
good luck buddy!

Awesome bit of information there, my buddy does have a shop with a lift so I can get the trans dropped pretty easily. I'm just wanting to avoid a high $$ fix lol. I hope it's nothing serious.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Just to close, I had the first warm day in a while and I drove the car and not a single 5th gear problem. I was driving the car while it was extremely cold. I'd say it was a contributing factor. I plan on changing the trans fluid and just driving the car. Thanks to everyone for the replies, I enjoy learning from people that have some knowledge over the T56.

Quick Reply: T56 - 5th gear lockout