Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HAWKS short throw stick, how much angle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default HAWKS short throw stick, how much angle?

So I searched ebay for a shorter T56 stick, due to the T56 swapped IROC I picked up, having the damn stick almost have to bust out the side of the console to go into reverse. 1st gear is like where 5th normally would be.

A lonngggg time ago, I remember you could get a short stainless stick, with a spacer, however I cannot seem to find any of this design now on ebay. However I saw that Hawks makes a short stick, that claims it is angled.

How much is the angle? Is it comparable to how it would be with a spacer?

If anyone has used one of these in a T56 swapped third gen, please let me know.

EDIT: Car supposedly has a Pro 5.0 shifter, I assume it should have the same bolt pattern anyway for the stick?

Old 02-19-2018, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

No input? Has no one used one of the Hawk's short throw sticks?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a pro 5.0 on my T56 in my 4th gen... It even seems to be positioned to the right just a hair more than you'd think it should be, but I have no console interference...
I understand you have this setup in a 3rd gen, which a T56, should be a T56... Could you just fab a spacer to move the stick over to the left? or have a machine shop angle your stick so it'll hang more towards the left of the car? Have you checked to see if the stick is installed on the correct side of the base plate post? I'm just spitballing, but I know I've over looked simpler things.... good luck!
Old 02-19-2018, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Have to admit, I haven't pulled to shifter plate yet to see what it looks like in there. Today was my first time looking at the underside of the thing, needs some rear driver side floor work... Ugh.

Might get around to it tomorrow or this weekend, I have to also remove the flip out Alpine touch screen in it from like 10-15 years ago.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this same setup in my 96 with a T56. Although I have a Hurst short throw shifter. I was able to bolt on the Hawks short throw stick from the left side of the shifter. I'm no where near the right side of my console. Almost seems like I'm too far left, just took a little getting used to.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which stick are you talking about?
If it’s the one I am thinking of, doesn’t it say the degree of angle it has?
Old 02-19-2018, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Doesn't appear to state so on their website or their ebay ad. Ah well.
There is one positive review, and from their pictures, it looks like it should work well.
This is what I am looking at.
EDIT: I'm gonna look around my toolbox, I think I still have a really rough looking B&M t handle I pulled out of my 94 Z28 when I put a line lock with a new B&M t-handle with button in. So I might have a t-handle that is threaded properly sitting here already.

I've had t-handles in my vehicles since my very first car, a 86 Camaro.I don't know why, I just highly prefer them over *****.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your right, maybe it was on eBay I saw the difference. There’s a guy who sells stocks I think it has the info there.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

Assuming you have a 93-97 T56 in your 3rd gen and the 5.0 shifter (which would also be for 4th gen F body) you could just unbolt handle and add washers/spacer between the handle and shifter base. May need to replace the bolts for longer ones if the washers or spacer is wide

I have a T56 transplant into a B body using a 4th gen Hurst Pro Billet shifter and put the stick on the PS of the shifter since the normal way it is positioned in a F-body I hit console for 1st/2nd. It is now centered

You should be able to resolve your issue with some washers or spacer. As far as the "angle" of the stick....heat/torch it and bend it the direction you want if you have to
Old 02-21-2018, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ******
Assuming you have a 93-97 T56 in your 3rd gen and the 5.0 shifter (which would also be for 4th gen F body) you could just unbolt handle and add washers/spacer between the handle and shifter base. May need to replace the bolts for longer ones if the washers or spacer is wide

I have a T56 transplant into a B body using a 4th gen Hurst Pro Billet shifter and put the stick on the PS of the shifter since the normal way it is positioned in a F-body I hit console for 1st/2nd. It is now centered

You should be able to resolve your issue with some washers or spacer. As far as the "angle" of the stick....heat/torch it and bend it the direction you want if you have to
ya can't go wrong with a little blacksmithing!
Old 03-26-2018, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm wondering what the length is of the Hawks stick now. The Pro 5.0 stick appears to be 7.5-8" long, depending how much thread is in the current shifter ****. The Pro 5.0 is also cut on an angle at the base.

Took a little motivation with some steel wool, but it identified itself.

I'm just wondering if I cut the threaded portion of the Pro 5.0 stick down by about 2/3rds if it will get it to about a height I would be happy with. Seems like it would, and then I could just find some sort of spacer at Lowes or something and two longer bolts.

Hmm this B&M t-handle is rougher looking than I remember, I still think I'll sand it down and re-use it, for nostalgia's sake.

It's already threaded for a 4th gen stick.

Quick Reply: HAWKS short throw stick, how much angle?