Rpm t56 vs magnum t56 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rpm t56 vs magnum t56

Old 04-18-2018, 12:06 PM
  #1  
12 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (48)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,885
Default Rpm t56 vs magnum t56

So the time has come that i need to replace my t56. It grinds in 1st and 2nd gear and now its to the point that it isn't enjoyable to drive due to this. I have been looking at either the rpm stage IV or stage V but also have thrown around the idea of getting a t56 magnum. I know the magnum is stronger and many people claim it shifts smoother, even though personally having driven two tr6060 equipped camaros i didn't see much difference, but it is also more money and i still would have my old t56 sitting around which right now i dont have room for. My car makes 440 rwhp so a rebuilt t56 would handle that with no problem but i dont want to be questioning myself later as to whether or not i should have got a magnum. So a few questions...can i still use the same shifter i currently have with the magnum? Also i know you have to get the yoke on your ds changed out for a 31 spline unit, would i need to do anything else? Last what would you guys do? Spend about 4k for the magnum or go with a stage IV t56 for $2700 or a stage V for $3200?
quiet_storm98 is offline  
Old 04-18-2018, 01:59 PM
  #2  
TECH Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,342
Default

I would just rebuild your current T56 in whatever "level" you feel you need...the IV, IMHO, would be enough for your power level....or just a good rebuild/refresh unless this is going to be a primary race car
BALLSS is offline  
Old 04-18-2018, 09:02 PM
  #3  
12 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (48)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,885
Default

Originally Posted by ****** View Post
I would just rebuild your current T56 in whatever "level" you feel you need...the IV, IMHO, would be enough for your power level....or just a good rebuild/refresh unless this is going to be a primary race car
Yeah i think i may go this route after talking to a local shop.. They have had great success with a local trans shop that has rebuilt t56's for them. Its cheaper but of course will take a lil longer but im fine with that
quiet_storm98 is offline  
Old 04-19-2018, 04:39 PM
  #4  
9 Second Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Norn Iron
Posts: 11,974
Default

As above, if you'e happy with the T56, cheapest option is just to rebuild it. It will easily handle the power you have.
stevieturbo is offline  
Old 06-29-2018, 04:14 PM
  #5  
12 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (48)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,885
Default

just wanted to give a little update on this...so I had a local trans shop take apart the t56 and it was pretty rough. Needed new synchros, bearings, etc. and apparently they said 5th and 6th gear were done. So the shop I had remove the trans ended up ordering a son of tranzilla from rockland standard gear. Couldn't find a lot about this trans recently but a lot of older threads seemed to praise it and best of all it came with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. It was $2700 and sure I could of spent $1500 more and got a magnum but currently closing on a house so I needed the extra money. So far I'm happy with it I just hope it holds up for a long time.
quiet_storm98 is offline  
Old 07-05-2018, 09:21 PM
  #6  
TECH Addict
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancaster County, PA
Posts: 2,003
Default

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98 View Post
just wanted to give a little update on this...so I had a local trans shop take apart the t56 and it was pretty rough. Needed new synchros, bearings, etc. and apparently they said 5th and 6th gear were done. So the shop I had remove the trans ended up ordering a son of tranzilla from rockland standard gear. Couldn't find a lot about this trans recently but a lot of older threads seemed to praise it and best of all it came with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. It was $2700 and sure I could of spent $1500 more and got a magnum but currently closing on a house so I needed the extra money. So far I'm happy with it I just hope it holds up for a long time.
thats not too bad. id make sure you you got your old trans back......could still be worth a few bucks.
Floorman279 is offline  
Old 07-11-2018, 12:19 AM
  #7  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
flintwrench69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mt Morris, Michigan
Posts: 1,983
Default

Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
As above, if you'e happy with the T56, cheapest option is just to rebuild it. It will easily handle the power you have.
I rebuilt mine, 2x. 1st time a level 2 kit from gearbox.org(most complete level2 kit available) bearing kit, new mainshaft & 5-6 cluster gear(both parts very commonly wear) & a T56 book. $1500 in parts only problem I added .002 too much shim to front of mainshaft & so input shaft was a lil harder to turn which burned up the input shaft gear & countershaft gear nicked. Why getting the preload right is so critical. So another $500 in parts but got mainshaft shimmed perfect. Input shaft turns easy & enough bearing preload. I just about could've bought a T56 magnum $3100 not the T56 Super magnum that's the $4k one. Still my 27 spline output shaft trans handles 513whp 482wtq no problem 6500 clutch dumps on 28 inch slicks drive it to the track & home
Originally Posted by quiet_storm98 View Post
just wanted to give a little update on this...so I had a local trans shop take apart the t56 and it was pretty rough. Needed new synchros, bearings, etc. and apparently they said 5th and 6th gear were done. So the shop I had remove the trans ended up ordering a son of tranzilla from rockland standard gear. Couldn't find a lot about this trans recently but a lot of older threads seemed to praise it and best of all it came with a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. It was $2700 and sure I could of spent $1500 more and got a magnum but currently closing on a house so I needed the extra money. So far I'm happy with it I just hope it holds up for a long time.
There was a guy selling a T56 magnum on Facebook Paid $3100 asking 2500 still in the crate direct fit for an Fbody too! Great deal wish I had the cash would handle a nice shot of spray!
flintwrench69 is offline  
Old 07-11-2018, 06:24 AM
  #8  
9 Second Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Norn Iron
Posts: 11,974
Default

Originally Posted by flintwrench69 View Post
. I just about could've bought a T56 magnum $3100 not the T56 Super magnum that's the $4k one.
When I asked Tremec about the super magnum, they told me the only difference was a 40T reluctor inside to match the FBody VSS trigger ( or whatever tooth count it uses )
Other than that it was same as any other Magnum ?

Not sure why it carries extra cost though...surely there would need to be more difference than that
stevieturbo is offline  
Old 07-11-2018, 04:23 PM
  #9  
12 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (48)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,885
Default

Originally Posted by Floorman279 View Post
thats not too bad. id make sure you you got your old trans back......could still be worth a few bucks.
had to send my old one in as a core exchange

Originally Posted by flintwrench69 View Post
There was a guy selling a T56 magnum on Facebook Paid $3100 asking 2500 still in the crate direct fit for an Fbody too! Great deal wish I had the cash would handle a nice shot of spray!
dang well its already too late I got the rebuilt t56 in and running
quiet_storm98 is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: