Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

how strong is the CTS 6 speed transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how strong is the CTS 6 speed transmission?

What is the difference between the GTO 6 speed and the CTS 6 speed transmission?
Old 08-06-2018, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

The Gen1 CTSv transmission is a PITA to retrofit into another car if that is your question. It also needs an expensive CV style driveshaft. The gearing isn't great either.... plus parts are becoming scarce for those style gear ratio transmissions and $$$$.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:43 PM

Default Thank you for the information

My son is doing LS swap in a 3 series BMW. He purchased ( out of state ) what is supposed to be a 6 soeed from a GTO. Upon inspection it is either a CTS or possibly a corvette transmission. But either way it is without a slip joint in the tail shaft of the unit. So we either ship it back or fab a driveshaft to use this. But that is also after we see if there is a way to get the correct shifter to fit this. How can you have a business and sell what is obviously not the part you listed!!has anyone here seen a BMW-LS SWAP with 6 speed and can offer any advise on transmissions and shifters? Thanks Steve
Old 08-06-2018, 09:05 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The strength at the output splines of the GTO mainshaft is similar, due to similar size, of the splined yoke attachment on the CTS-V box. The rest is largely the same.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Corvette has the transmission in the back of the car attached directly to the differential. You’d know if it was a corvette transmission. As far as it not having a slip-joint - pretty much every modern transmission is like that now, they use a rubber flex disc coupler and cv-joints, and any self-respecting driveline shop will be able to make a driveshaft for it.

Why would you try doing a swap like this if you weren’t willing to have custom parts made? Quit your moaning.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:55 AM

Default Thanks for the friendly reply

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
Corvette has the transmission in the back of the car attached directly to the differential. You’d know if it was a corvette transmission. As far as it not having a slip-joint - pretty much every modern transmission is like that now, they use a rubber flex disc coupler and cv-joints, and any self-respecting driveline shop will be able to make a driveshaft for it.

Why would you try doing a swap like this if you weren’t willing to have custom parts made? Quit your moaning.
I appreciate your reply. I was not moaning, only venting about purchasing something and it not be the part delivered. Almost anyone who has worked on a car has had this happen. I also knew there will be plenty of modifying. This is nothing new to me, it was just the original question of the strength difference in the two. I was told the original 6 speeds in the Z28's were not that strong and the GTO has a better transmission. This led to the fact that the transmission purchased and shipped, was not the unit delivered to us. So prior to mating the motor and transmission together, the question was asked so we could decide if this was a good option.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The CTS-V and GTO are basically the same unit less the output shaft,extension housing and input shaft length. As previously stated, the biggest issue is the driveshaft design of the CTS-V and the remote shifter design.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:39 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve in Ohio
decide if this was a good option.
The GTO and CTS-V boxes have a slight shifting advantage at escalated RPM vs. the F-body.
Strength difference isn't relevant between the two.

Worry about ratios and driveability in the finished car over all that crap. Some of the 3-series may have a rear differential ratio that matches up vey well with the CTS-V box ratios. GNX7 makes a good point if you're building a lighter car. Less so, if it is heavier, or if the rear diff is taller, or the engine is smaller.

I like the case mounted shifters better, and I don't feel there is an advantage for me to go with the added expense of a slip joint driveline, so I wouldn't go tripod fixed yoke transmission. Your son's project may be more suited to the remote shifter and slip-yoke / guibo disc driveline.

happy building.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve in Ohio
My son is doing LS swap in a 3 series BMW. He purchased ( out of state ) what is supposed to be a 6 soeed from a GTO. Upon inspection it is either a CTS or possibly a corvette transmission. But either way it is without a slip joint in the tail shaft of the unit. So we either ship it back or fab a driveshaft to use this. But that is also after we see if there is a way to get the correct shifter to fit this. How can you have a business and sell what is obviously not the part you listed!!has anyone here seen a BMW-LS SWAP with 6 speed and can offer any advise on transmissions and shifters? Thanks Steve
Ask in the conversions section....there will have been hundreds of conversions.

And pretty sure there is a BMW linkage that will work with the 6060 based transmissions with a remote shifter.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:08 PM

Default Thanks for the reply

I appreciate all the information. It is very informative and appreciated. Steve