Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SFI Bellhousing Options, Quicktime Scatter Shield Didn’t Fit!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SFI Bellhousing Options, Quicktime Scatter Shield Didn’t Fit!

Hey guys, so I was looking for a scatter to shield to put in my 5.3/t-56 thirdgen. I have speed engineering longtubes. Anyway I picked up the quicktime bellhousing for a 4th gen from Summit being I was pulling the trans to install my new triple disk Monster clutch. So low and behold when I went to install the bell housing, it didn’t fit.. Sorry I don’t have any photos, but the starter bulge on the passenger side was hitting right at the merge of the collector, and the bolt hole lip on the driver side was hitting the driver merge. The whole assembly was offest a whole dowl pins width to the passenger side because the flange hitting the header on the driver side was so severe. I didn’t even try notching anything and risking ruining the bellhousing, the fitment was just too far off.

Obviously being its made for a 4th gen, headers in those cars must come out further to the frame rails, so it would fit unlike a thirdgen. I ended up having to put the stock bellhousing back in to get the car finished up, but now I’m looking for a solution. I couldn’t find any other bellhousing that seem to be made for a thirdgen with an ls swap specifically. Do I need an sfi bellhousing, or can I get by with a trans blanket? I was looking at this one on Jegs.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/60970/10002/-1

I’m still learning all these rule and reg’s for drag racing, so I’m pretty much lost when it comes to this. If I can find a scatter shield that will fit my car, I’ll bite the bullet and pull the trans again. If not, would a blanket be a legal alternative? Thanks in advance for any help/tips. Fastest time for the car right now was a 10.8@133 when the old clutch started slipping. I think a scatter shield is required at 11.5 and under, so I would really like to get this sorted.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The speed engineering headers on my dads 2000 ss hit the bellhousing on the drivers side. We grinded that area off the bell and fit fine good. The old dynatechs he had on his fit fine with the bell. From what I remember looking I don’t think I saw any other bellhousings on the market for ls and t56 besides the quicktime.

What about a different set of headers that clear the bell?
Old 04-02-2019, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nmass399
The speed engineering headers on my dads 2000 ss hit the bellhousing on the drivers side. We grinded that area off the bell and fit fine good. The old dynatechs he had on his fit fine with the bell. From what I remember looking I don’t think I saw any other bellhousings on the market for ls and t56 besides the quicktime.

What about a different set of headers that clear the bell?
I was thinking about grinding it, but it was so far off to the right I wasn’t sure if it was gonna be enough. I thought about the headers, but it seems with most longtubes for thirdgens the collectors all fall in the same place. I think the Speed Engineering headers are just copies of Hawks. Im actually using a Hawks y pipe with those headers.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You try McLeod?
Old 04-03-2019, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zboy2012
You try McLeod?
I couldn’t find it. Only one that really seems promising is the Quicktime. I already sent it back to summit, I guess whenever I pull the trans for a rebuild Ill have to order another one and just hack it down to fit. It sucks that there are really no options aside from the Quicktime.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:01 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

QT bell fits my third gen just fine with Hawks SW 1 3/4" long tubes
Old 04-03-2019, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cam
QT bell fits my third gen just fine with Hawks SW 1 3/4" long tubes
I have 1 7/8ths on mine.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could find some people who have the different brand headers on theirs so you can get a good look at the clearance they have. Might be able to find some pics on the net.

Just to give you an idea on that, the kooks I had on my 4th gen hugd the k member on the driver side away from the bell. The arh headers I havenow fit right up against my oil filter on drivers side but cleared the bell by Alot right there.

Im not sure about all the header options out there for a third gen but chances are there is a set that will clear the QuickTime bell. But it could be pricey to change all that.
As far as using a trans blanket I dunno, that seems like the best route for price. You may be able to find some Nhra regulations on the net that explain what you can use.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nmass399
You could find some people who have the different brand headers on theirs so you can get a good look at the clearance they have. Might be able to find some pics on the net.

Just to give you an idea on that, the kooks I had on my 4th gen hugd the k member on the driver side away from the bell. The arh headers I havenow fit right up against my oil filter on drivers side but cleared the bell by Alot right there.

Im not sure about all the header options out there for a third gen but chances are there is a set that will clear the QuickTime bell. But it could be pricey to change all that.
As far as using a trans blanket I dunno, that seems like the best route for price. You may be able to find some Nhra regulations on the net that explain what you can use.

Header wise there really isn’t a whole lot to choose from when it comes to thirdgens with an ls. I looked into the trans blanket, and I’m not worried about getting through tech, as the local track has never even checked my car for a scatter shield. I am however worried about my feet when I start beating on it and start no lift shifting. Im gonna re-order the Quicktime and just have to find a way to make it work. Maybe some grinding with a bit of tweaking the collectors with some heat.

I have to pull the trans again regardless, due to my slave shimming being off. The clutch grabs right off the floor and it’s killing the quickness of my shifts. Ill be sure to post an update with some photos of how I get it to fit.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the qt bellhousing on my third gen with a ls3 and speed engineering headers. I had to cut the flange around the driver's header which I believe is even common with the fourth gen guys. I am using a ls3 starter and already had to grind it down with the stock bell but ended up grinding the starter and qt bell even more to clear. I measured runout and mine was within .005 I believe with stock dowels. Unless yours is way off you'll need to grind either way, I haven't heard of many swapping without it but could be wrong.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:19 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I run 1 3/4" SW long tubes with 2.5" slip fit collectors and single bolt slip over band clamps to the y pipe. I had VERY tight clearance between the bell and the drivers side header down tubes although there was no contact I did grind the bell flange down a bit there during one of the clutch changes I did just because it was easy to get at and didnt want future issues. I dont like unwanted rattles and noises.