Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Sanity Check my clutch decision, please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Sanity Check my clutch decision, please.

Let me start: PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST SPEC*

Ive think Ive decided to go with a RAM level 2 HDX. Mods in sig. I have almost 60K on my stock z06 clutch, and its still grabbing well, Im just starting to overpower it and Id like something a little more grabby. I drive in fairly heavy traffic nearly every day, and while I dont mind the leg-press, I dont want chatter. This is why Im staying with a stage 2 clutch. I plan on installing a cam early next spring. Heads are likely to follow, however Im not sure how soon after. Will this clutch handle a full bolton car + 230-ish cam (shooting for 410 RWHP)? I figure once I do heads, Ill need something a little more aggressive.

Is this the clutch for me?

Also, does the kit come with a T/O bearing and alignment tool? It says PP and disk only

Thanks,
-Tony

* I dont want a spec clutch because of personal experience. Maybe its just my bad luck.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't believe it comes with a T/O bearing. My 980 VDS did not. I'm not sure what "stage" my clutch is considered, but it holds awesome and has very minimal chatter.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the reply 99C5JA. Did you replace or simply reuse the t/o bearing? If you replaced it, where did you purchase it?

Thanks,
-Tony
Old 07-20-2004, 11:38 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was under the impression the TOB is part of the whole slave cylinder assembly.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe it is - I dont know. I havnt been through it yet on my LS1, so I dont know. If it is though, Ill need to replace the whole slave cyl assy since my T/O bearing is making lots of noise in neutral, as its done for the last 45K miles.

-T
Old 07-20-2004, 12:19 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm thinking it is one peice as it's a hydraulic setup.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't want another Spec because of my last stage 2 (chattered, bucked, squeeked, you name it!) but just installed a Spec 3x with the drill mod and it is like a dream come true - seriously!
Old 07-20-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
I was under the impression the TOB is part of the whole slave cylinder assembly.
When you buy a new Slave Assembly it comes with a Throw out bearing. But when you get a new Spec III assembly it also comes with a Throw out bearing assembly. So they do come as part of the Slave & you can get them seperatly.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did a RAM Powergrip Stage III (it is the HD one) on my bolt-on '02 SS. It does chatter a little so far (I'm about half-way through break-in), but it is getting better each day. I'll have to see if it all goes away, but it is what I would consider minimal, and I have very little tolerance for that kinda stuff.

RAM says it will handle up through a heads/cam car, and it should...I got the clutch, which had just the PP and disc (and alignment tool of course). I also did a billet flywheel, went ahead and got a new slave just to be safe (which had the throwout bearing in it), and went to the GM dealership to get a new pilot bearing. I didn't even do the drill mod (I'm just gonna get a new, adjustable master down the road with it already done).

So far, I'm very pleased with the setup. Pedal pressure is *slightly* harder than stock, and it engages lower than it did stock, so I would recommend a new adj. master if you are going to be rowing through the gears. So far, no problems on mine, but I'd still like it to engage/disengage higher up in the pedal travel. If you have any questions, PM me.

Steve
Old 07-21-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the reply guys, very helpful.

Can anyone compare the HDX to a z06 clutch? I guess it never occoured to me that the z06 clutch is rated at 450 HP while the RAM HDX is only 425 HP. I dont want to be going backwards here. I cant imagine the RAM to be less agressive than the stock Z06 clutch, but I figure I might have to ask just to be sure.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it will probably hold about the same...I'd recommend that you step up to the HD (the Stage III one) for what you have done. It is working very well on my bolt-ons only car, and I think it would be right up there with what you want out of it. They rate the HD at ~500ish HP (good for heads/cam cars), which is eventually where I'm going with mine.