Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster LT1-S w/ Tick MC pedal feel

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monster LT1-S w/ Tick MC pedal feel

I just got done reassembling my car after a clutch replacement with the LT1-S and 24 lbs flywheel. I previously had a RAM HD and tick mc installed and that combo felt pretty stiff overall, but I learned to slip it effectively for daily driving. I've never driven an fbody with a stock clutch and master cylinder so I didnt know what to expect.

This new clutch feels a whole lot different and have stalled the car a couple of times, its way lighter and has an on/off(grabby) effect at the engagement point. I know the tick mc creates a smaller engagement window. the pedal feels kinda easy at the top as I press down and gets firmer half way where it engages, then easy again the rest of the way down. I have the pedal adjusted an inch lower than the brake pedal. I also installed a new oem GM slave with a speed bleeder and it was my first time bleeding the whole system(don't know if I did a good job lol)

So my question is, is this normal for this twin clutch to feel light and sensitive or is it an issue regarding bleeding the system more? not sure what feel im suppose to be looking for at the pedal. I can shift in all gears no problem and can tell the clutch grabbing at every gear, reverse has no issues either.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the lt1-s and tick master as well and yes it is a very light clutch that feels a lot like the stock clutch. Mine isn't really overly sensitive to me but then again I went from a stock clutch to a mcleod rst to this monster lt1-s and the rst and lt1-s are known to drive similar to a stock clutch.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds normal to me OP. What size bore is your clutch master cylinder?
Old 07-21-2021, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 129 Posts

I have the same clutch with an even lighter flywheel. Add in a large split cam and it can be a touch harder to take off than most cars, especially stock ones. You'll learn it, just takes a few days of driving it. However, if you have other manual transmission cars the transition from one to the other can feel strange.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same clutch and tried it with the Tick 7/8" bore master cylinder, definitely touchy. I then tried it with a stock 3/4" bore master cylinder and it was very easy to drive, but had way to much pedal travel. So I bought the 13/16" bore version of the Tilton master cylinder that Tick uses, swapped the mounting block to the new master cylinder and installed it. It's a very nice happy medium, short pedal throw but the engagement isn't overly difficult.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

As for your question...Yes, it's supposed to have a very light pedal feel. It's because Monster uses an LS7 pressure plate and design everything else around it.
Then Jeff99 did what I did as well. I changed to a 3/4" bore and it was night and day on drivability on my sons 01 Z. This was recommended to me by the guy at Tick.
His car has a triple disc and I just installed a Monster twin in my wifes cammed 2011 Camaro SS. She loves it. It took about 500 miles to break in and it wasn't so grabby after that. So it may be real touchy at first.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 249 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by SAPPER
As for your question...Yes, it's supposed to have a very light pedal feel. It's because Monster uses an LS7 pressure plate and design everything else around it.
Then Jeff99 did what I did as well. I changed to a 3/4" bore and it was night and day on drivability on my sons 01 Z. This was recommended to me by the guy at Tick.
His car has a triple disc and I just installed a Monster twin in my wifes cammed 2011 Camaro SS. She loves it. It took about 500 miles to break in and it wasn't so grabby after that. So it may be real touchy at first.
Did you change to a stock 3/4" master or a Tilton/Wilwood master?
Old 07-27-2021, 04:29 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. Yeah after giving it a few days of driving it around. I learned to live with it and has been easier for me to modulate the pedal and not upset the car so much. I don’t know which bore I got. It’s a tilton unit though.

Quick Reply: Monster LT1-S w/ Tick MC pedal feel