Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help...Disaster...Can't get into gear...!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...Disaster...Can't get into gear...!!!!

I am in BIG trouble. My car won't go into gear. Clutch won't disengauge. Pedal pressure feels normal, no hydraulic leaks, line to slave is attached, fluid is full. Help, I have no other car. I can only drive the car by putting it into gear using the rpm match tequnique(clutch disk and flywheel spinning same rpm and put it into gear), what else could it be? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Can it be that the hyd's need to be bled? My new specIII was put in wed and everything was fine till sat and then the clutch just wouldn't disengauge. Pedal pressure is soft up top and firm down low.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Have you tried bleeding it? If you have access to a Mityvac, that would make bleeding the hydrualics much easier. Try bleeding it and see if it helps. Was the spacer installed behind the slave while you were in there?
Old 08-15-2004, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Krab
Have you tried bleeding it? If you have access to a Mityvac, that would make bleeding the hydrualics much easier. Try bleeding it and see if it helps. Was the spacer installed behind the slave while you were in there?

Didn't use the spacer. I have the aluminum flywheel and instead of getting a new one, I got the new steel surface that bolts to the flywheel. Where can I get a mityvac?
Old 08-15-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

You can get it at your local Autozone or O'Rielly's. Look for it in the section where they have the pulley pullers.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:53 AM
10 Second Club + 14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by slow14U
Didn't use the spacer.

get ready to pull the tranny back down.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by antz01ta

get ready to pull the tranny back down.

I thought I didn't have to use it because I got the new friction plate for the aluminum flywheel. The spacer is .115 inch thick. I read the spec directions and it says to space the slave with the .065 inch thick gasket they included, but opted not to use it during the install because of the new friction plate. Should I of used it with the new plate and clutch? I thought I had to use the flywheel spacer if I resurfaced the flywheel. I already had a specIII in and it worked fine. I just put a new one in and the **** hit the fan. It worked for 4 days though. I am seriously confused as to why I had to space the flywheel or the slave since it wasn't spaced to begin with.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:44 AM

all i know is when i did mine and didnt use the spacer it didnt work.

as for the new friction plate it doesnt change the distance of the flywheel surface from the slave. from what i remember about the instructions it says you have to use it unless you are installing on a corvette.

Last edited by antz01ta; 08-16-2004 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Launching!

If I were to put the spacer in it would decrease the distance between the flywheel and throwout bearing. I need to find a way to increase the distance so the clutch will disengauge. I read the directions also and they just didn't seem practical in a sense. The instructions would further complicate my situation. If someone can help and correct me if this is wrong, it would be a big relief.

Update. I tried to gravity bleed and also adjusted the master cylinder several times. Nothing has happened. All the time my pedal pressure is firm. I've talked to spec and they told me that the spacer is not needed if the clutch was working for the first 4 days. I called Mike from Rapid motorsport and he told me to gravity bleed and if there is pedal pressure, then the hyd's are working. He also told me were to adjust the ram master cylinder I have and I did so.

I am totally stumped on this.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:34 PM

what you discribed in your first post is completly opposite from what you just said in your last post, from what you said first the clutch would not disengage all the way meaning it would keep the tranny spinning when pushed to the floor, not allowing you to get gears. now you are saying the clutch wont engage all the way meaning it is slipping on acceleration?

are you sure you dont have the master adjusted out so far that the petal is on the top stop and not letting the master travel all the way out?

Last edited by antz01ta; 08-16-2004 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by antz01ta
what you discribed in your first post is completly opposite from what you just said in your last post, from what you said first the clutch would not disengage all the way meaning it would keep the tranny spinning when pushed to the floor, not allowing you to get gears. now you are saying the clutch wont engage all the way meaning it is slipping on acceleration?

are you sure you dont have the master adjusted out so far that the petal is on the top stop and not letting the master travel all the way out?

The words are tricky in my last post, but the problem is clutch won't disengauge. I was implieing that if the spacer was in now, there would be more pressure on the pressure plate. And, hypotheticly, that would keep the clutch engauged, which is what the problem is now without the spacer.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have mcleod master and cartech clutch.The cartech modified stock master worked but was erratic sometimes I couldn't get into my gears and had to keep adjusting it.Went to mcleod master.I put it in and the car shifted fantastic.For a month or so.Pedal pressure was very firm though..hurts my ankle firm.

But was willing to live with that as at least it was shifting good.

Now day or so ago notice its getting very notchy into 1st especially.Other gears aren't so great either.

Today go out and start it and no reverse..it was working perfect.Check master fluid level its fine so that would seem to rule out a leak I would think.Pedal is firm not soft and don't go to the floor again seems to rule out leaks.Pedal never stuck to floor and car seemed to be shifting fine a few days ago or at least shifting.

Now what..?? Like you said think clutch not engaging.It acted like this when had cartech master and you set it wrong.I can try bleeding but woudn't think its an air problem if the pedal is super firm..maybe my slave popped out or something..would that do it..? This is weird..I have heard about the mcleod masters leaking but again don't think its that.I put in the newer slave when did the cartech a year or so ago.
Help us please guys..!!
Old 08-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Anyone have any input?

Quick Reply: Help...Disaster...Can't get into gear...!!!!