Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch and throwout question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch and throwout question.

when you guys install a new clutch, where is the throwout bearing sitting when its all bolted together? Is it just touching the pressure plate fingers, or does it depress them slightly? If it does push them in, how much does it?
thanks
bill
Old 01-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

The stock LS1 Hydraulic Actuator has an intergrated throwout bearing. It has a preload spring that pushes the bearing against the pressure plate fingers all the time. When you install it the piston compresses into the bore as far as it has to but the bearing is always riding on the fingers of the clutch. The stock, or "Z06" pressure plate is supposed to be self adjusting and uses this type of proloaded bearing. There are other hydraulic actuators that do not have the preload spring such as the McLeod 1373. Very few people have used these as far as I can tell. I am installing one in the next few days. LS1 clutches are different animals you will find. Because of the hydraulics they are VERY temperamental. The preload spring is not that strong that it would start to compress the fingers that much.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

Im in the process of putting the 6 speed in my car. Im using an Lt1 trans with a weir kit slave cylinder in it. so was just wondering home much of a spacer i was going to have to make for it.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:20 PM
wrencher

That (LT1 T-56) bolted to a SBC/BBC should be a strait up bolt up with all the correct parts.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Are you using the Weir conversion kit in the Chevy High Performance article? If it is the trans mounted slave, measure the distance of the fingers to the face of the bellhousing. Then measure the distance of the face of the collapsed slave bearing to the face of the trans mounting surface. The difference of these two measurements should give you at least 0.100" that the slave will have to travel out of its bore to contact the pressure plate. This is for the pressure plate finger height increase with disc wear. You would shim to obtain this or greater than 0.100", but you must stay under the slaves maximum extension. That is the total extension capability of the slave should be greater than the amount the piston travels to operate the clutch plus the amount the bearing face sits away from the fingers when collapsed new. This determines the shim thickness if needed.

Last edited by AtlantaRTA; 01-04-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

Cool, thanks for the replies.

Wrencher, the LT1 trans is going behind an LS1.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:17 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by Lesrace82

Wrencher, the LT1 trans is going behind an LS1.
Wow that's a little project huh ? Why? Ratio's?
Old 01-04-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

Im cheap!

I found a guy who wanted to trade this set up for my Th400 set up. And at the time I didnt know if I was going to stick with the LS1 or go back to a big block. So with the Weir kit I figured i would be set either way. I have a machine shop that i have full access to, so making parts wasnt abig deal for me and I figured id jsut throw this in.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

Found some more info on the weir bearing. Here is the link http://carbuff.homeip.net/weir.html I don't know if Weir has changed anything since this was posted. It states that your difference between your measurements, (the distance the collapsed bearing sits from the pressure plate fingers when installed), must be no greater than 1/8", (0.125"). That was what I was talking about in the maximum extension of the slave. You might want to call Weir and check it out. Here is his link http://www.weirhotrodproducts.com/index.html
Old 01-05-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

good info, thanks

Quick Reply: clutch and throwout question.