Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vibration problem

When I'm idling at a complete stop in neutral (M6) i feel a slight vibration from my elbow resting on the center console that feels like its coming from somewhere along the drivetrain. When I rev it up the vibration gets stronger (both with and without the clutch pedal pushed in if that matters). And when I get up to (legal) highway speeds the vibration is strong enough so that I could feel the seat vibrating against my butt as well. I popped the hood and the engine didn't appear to be vibrating very much. Since it even vibrates in neutral I figured it's probably not the transmission, driveshaft, or rear. Could it be the clutch and/or flywheel?
-Thanks in advance
Old 01-21-2005, 07:42 PM
12 Second Club

Maybe you need a new U-joint or your driveshaft is a little tweaked.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the tranny mount, or it could be your pressure plate bolts are backing out causing some slop in there. If this is a recent development I would consider that a possibility
Old 01-23-2005, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

i guess i better get it checked out then.
Could any of these problems cause a loss in performance, like going down 3 mph in the quarter mile?
Old 01-24-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

If it's the pressure plate bolts backing out it could cause a serious loss in performance. Like your clutch coming from together at a high rate of speed. I would pull the tranny and give everything the once over. Also, get your flywheel and pressure plate balanced together before you put it back together.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

I had very similar problems in my 98, just got a new clutch with a new prebalanced flywheel and that solved the problem. Your flywheel is probably warped, or out of balance. Check out getting it resurfaced, or just getting a new already balanced one from gm parts direct. Anyways good luck hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:28 PM
9 Second Club

get the clutch checked out like the rest of them said
Old 01-24-2005, 07:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's your clutch setup.maybe some bolt's backing out.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

Alright, so the consenus seems to be clutch. I've been thinking about getting a spec stage 4 anyway. Thanks a lot for the help guys.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

You might also have a wasted pilot bearing. I just did my clutch this past weekend and found the needle bearings and housing that holds them ground away. Little needle bearings all in the small space of the crank. So, cheap part to replace, but bitch to get to. FYI - get the pilot bearing removal tool and slide hammer from AutoZone. Took me two whole minutes to remove the old bearing!!
Old 04-14-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
Alright, so the consenus seems to be clutch. I've been thinking about getting a spec stage 4 anyway. Thanks a lot for the help guys.

Did you get our clutch checked out yet to see if it was your problem? I think this might be why my car vibrates at idle when I'm in neutral. Let me know your progress.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am willing to bet the problem has nothing to do with the clutch but with a warped fly or bad pilot bearing like the other 2 posts said. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

My car's at TTPerformance right now getting a roll bar installed. Once it's in they're gonna find out what the problem is. I'll make sure to keep you guys updated
Old 04-18-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'am having the same problem.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

I have the same problem after a Spec 3 install even with a surfaced fly and new pilot if the problem is noticable while at a complete stop thats a good way to isolate it
Old 04-18-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
I have the same problem after a Spec 3 install even with a surfaced fly and new pilot if the problem is noticable while at a complete stop thats a good way to isolate it
What did you do to get it fixed?
Old 04-18-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by peterock98
What did you do to get it fixed?
Nuthin.... the motor and trans is on its way out here shoretly so im just gunna let'er eat for another month or 2 ...prob not the answer you wanted to hear.. but if its really bad I think a good automotive machine shop can balance the whole clutch and flywheel...
Old 04-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
When I'm idling at a complete stop in neutral (M6) i feel a slight vibration from my elbow resting on the center console that feels like its coming from somewhere along the drivetrain. When I rev it up the vibration gets stronger (both with and without the clutch pedal pushed in if that matters). And when I get up to (legal) highway speeds the vibration is strong enough so that I could feel the seat vibrating against my butt as well. I popped the hood and the engine didn't appear to be vibrating very much. Since it even vibrates in neutral I figured it's probably not the transmission, driveshaft, or rear. Could it be the clutch and/or flywheel?
-Thanks in advance
I JUST finished installing a Spec Billet Flywheel and Stage 3 clutch...

If you want, I can post pictures of my pilot bearing after 5 days of driving the new system like a BABY...but you prob. wouldn't be able to recognize the pilot bearing anymore - worn out, metal shavings everywhere, and crazy stupid vibrations.

I'm willing to bet you have a balancing issue. I resurfaced my ORIGINAL flywheel and put the Spec 3 back in with a NEW pilot bearing. Everything went back together just fine and immediately noticed a very very smooth idle. HOW-FREAKIN-EVER, it seems that the vibration is slowly creeping back. This leads me to the pressure plate! Call Spec and see what they say. That's what I'm doing on Monday.

Hope this helps, at least you aren't alone, lol. I'll post when I find the solution.

- Jeff

Quick Reply: Vibration problem