Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Are T-56's supposed to be so hard to get into gear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are T-56's supposed to be so hard to get into gear?

Hey guys, I seem to be having a problem with my tranny. Whenever the car is all warmed up I sometimes have trouble getting the shifter into 1st or reverse. I understand how sometimes the syncros might not line up but this seems to happen a lot, and it happens in reverse almost every day. Yesterday when I was driving I shifted it into third at pretty high rpms and it seemed like it didn't catch or something becasue when I let the clutch out the whole car jerked sideways and started shaking like crazy! Then today while I was driving I tried to put it into reverse and it was extremely hard, and when it finally went in it made a loud clunk. I took it out and tried again and it made the same clunking noise.

Pretty soon I plan on getting a new clutch installed, it seems to be slipping a little, could the clutch be the problem?

Thanks for any feedback,
also it's a 97 lt1 car, i'm not sure if theres a difference between ls1/lt1 trannys.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm, I did a little research on this board, when I go to get a new clutch should I ask the guy to do the "drill mod"? Is that the same for Lt1 cars? I read about it on install university, I believe that might help with the problem i'm having.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might help you, but I know nothing about LT1 trannys. The LS1 drill mod was done for high rpm speedshifting.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

mine has a bit of trouble going into reverse in the mornings when i start it up, im guessing maybe a synchro is on its way out. what i do, i put the shifter in 3rd gear, then put it in reverse and it always goes in smoothly. if i go straight into reverse, it takes a little muscle to get it into gear.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

I didnt think reverse was synchronized? Most cars it's not. Some new Nissan's have synchronized reverse, but I don't think our cars have it...
Old 02-05-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I just drove it up to work and back, when it's cold it will shift fine, but once it gets warm it has trouble going into almost every gear, and at complete stops I have to muscle it into first gear, I guess I will just try to get a new clutch asap. Not sure how the clutch could affect whats going on, but it's something I know is going bad and it's the only thing I can think of.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually read my owner's manual and it actually says if you have trouble getting it into gear then put it in neutral and let out on the clutch. Works for me everytime. But it sounds like you have more problems.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by skewba98z28
I actually read my owner's manual and it actually says if you have trouble getting it into gear then put it in neutral and let out on the clutch. Works for me everytime. But it sounds like you have more problems.
Thanks for the info. Mine is hard to get into reverse when its cold.

Might have to do the drill mod soon too.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

i had the same problem but it was in my mustang. my clutch was out because it wouldnt go into 1st or reverse. in these two gears you need your clutch to engage them. is it easy going into the other gears when your moving? while your sitting still do you pretty much have to hammer it in 1st and reverse to get it to go in? if yes them im guessing u need a new clutch. I dont know much about the f body trannys but mine was a clutch.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Needals1, I think you just hit the nail on the head , I'm having exactly the same problem. I have to hammer it into 1st and reverse but once I get going it's relatively smooth. Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to hurry up and get a clutch!
Old 02-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the clutch. Most likely the flywheel is shot. I had a similar problem and as soon as I changed my flywheel and disc. The problem went away.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NateLS1
I didnt think reverse was synchronized? Most cars it's not. Some new Nissan's have synchronized reverse, but I don't think our cars have it...
Our reverse is synchronized, but for some reason when mine is cold it helps getting it into reverse if I put it in first then reverse.